Author Topic: QUINN  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Sharon34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
QUINN
« on: Sunday 16 January 05 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Researching Quinn's originating from Co. Monaghan, moving to Pomeroy, Co. tyrone in early to mid 1800's.

Also researching KELLY'S from Co. Armagh moving to Jarrow, Newcastle in late 1800's.

Any advice or help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sharon.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: QUINN
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

This looks a bit vague. Are there any Christian names that run through the family ? I should not assume but I would say that both these families were of the Roman Catholic faith. Please confirm that this assumption is correct.

Sad to say there are no shipping lists for people moving between Ireland and England. Both these families may well appear in Griffiths Valuations. You do not mention your location but there should be a LDS Family History Centre near you where you shoud be able to arrange to see the Valuations for Co. Armagh and the Pomeroy area. If you find the Quinns and Kellys in Griffiths, it may take some time as you do not know in which townlands they lived, then it may be possible to trace the church that they attended. If you are able to find the church then you should be able to do a little bit more research.

Best Wishes,

Christopher

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: QUINN
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

The Griffiths Valuations Index Extracts are contained in this URL -

http://members.cox.net/hayes1966/lo1876.htm

Co. Armagh is divided into several areas and Co. Tyrone is probably the same. I think you will find Kelly's and Quinns in several of the areas in both of the counties. It is quite easy to follow but it is not a census - you are only getting the head of the household.

I am having a look at Griffiths Valiations for the Quinns in Pomeroy. There are 89.
The Kellys in Armagh may well be a much larger number. There are 306 Kellys

It looks as though you have a difficult task unless are able to spot the movement by the Christian names. If you are able to trace the deeds of the property in which the Quinns lived in Pomeroy they may show where the family lived in Armagh. Other possibilities for finding where they were in Armagh may be their tombstones in the graveyards in the Pomeroy area or death notices in old newspapers.

Best Wishes,  Christopher