Author Topic: Salt Family in Wootton  (Read 14131 times)

Offline RosieGrey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Salt Family in Wootton
« on: Tuesday 22 April 08 13:14 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else researching Salts in Wootton?  If so I would love to hear from you.

I have my 4xgt.grandparents William Salt b1772 married Ann Heath b1788 at Ellastone in 1806.  They had twelve children and lived at Nook Farm Wootton, and I suspect the farm may have been in the family for generations. 

A recent find in the Ellastone parish registers set off that train of thought.  All I need now is more research!:-
"18 Oct 1611.  John Hill, vicar of Ellaston married Elyzabeth daughter of William Salt of Wootton"     

Offline belmichael64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Family in Wootton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 April 08 12:00 BST (UK) »

Hi Rosie

I possibly have a distant link to this family.  My great grandmothers sister, Martha Noden (b1861)  married a Samuel Salt in Silverdale, Newcastle, staffs on 24th May 1895.

Samuel was born in 1874 in Wooton and was the son of George Mitcham Salt. I have not looked to see if there is any link to William but I will see if I can find anything and let you know.

In 1891 Martha was listed as a barmaid at the Bromley Arms in Ellastone and Samuel is living with his great uncle Thomas Salt in Wootton.

In 1901 Samuel and Martha are living in Wootton with their daughter Elsie, with Samuel listed as a farmer.

I have not got any further with this branch as yet. let me know if there is any connection to your salt family!

Bel ;D
Gilbride - County Fermanagh
Flockhart - Auchterarder, Perthshire
Forster - Tunstall, Stoke-On-Trent
Noden - Silverdale, Staffs
Michael - Inverness, Edinburgh, Auchterarder
Michie - Gamrie, Banffshire
Podmore - Burslem, Stoke-On-Trent
Pye - Eccleshall, Staffs
Shepherd - Aberdeenshire, Wick, Caithness

Offline RosieGrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 April 08 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Bel

I think I have found your George M Salt in the 1861 census in Church Street Longton.  He is with his parents William and Margaret Salt, William is a timber merchant and beer seller, born c1819 in Wootton.

My 4xgt.grandparents William Salt & Ann Heath had a son William bapt 1820 at Ellastone, so we could have a link, but there were three other Williams also baptised in 1818/1819 so I cannot say for sure unfortunately.

Offline Grandma Cas

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,  I have a Salt family in my line but, they're in  Cotton not Wootton.

My g g grandfather James Brindley (1816-1855) married Ann Salt (abt 1821-1855) at Alton Stafford in 1842 they had  5 children. 

Carol
Wills/Brindley/Routledge/Frid/Allen

Offline RosieGrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 May 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol.

My lot are definitely from Wootton, but one thing I have learnt since starting to research them is that there are a lot of Salts in the county!
Plus there is a Wootton near Eccleshall.

Was your Ann Salt born in Cotton?

Offline Grandma Cas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 May 08 19:45 BST (UK) »
On the 1841 census she is just listed as being born in Staffordshire but, according to the 1851 census she is listed as being born in Cotton.

Because her birth is pre 1837 I'm not sure of the correct date but, according to Staffordshire BMD she married James in Alton 1842.

Both Ann & James died in 1855 which is another little mystery to solve. ???

Carol

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 June 08 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
Just noticed your post - James Brindley and Ann Salt also appear in my tree.  Not direct ancestors of mine - but link in through James' mother Keziah Warrington.
Happy to share my Warrington info with you if you're interested  (have also got Brindleys back to William 1720 - though I guess you may already have all that ) :)

- Aitch  ;)
RATCLIFFE, BARLOW, BERESFORD, BLOOR, BYATT, DAKIN, KENT, LEES, MORTON, NORCLIFFE, OAKS, OSBORNE, PARKS, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, SORTON, WETTON, WARRINGTON, WATTS, WOOD, WOLVERSCROFT (all from the Staffordshire Moorlands) - and specific interest in anyone who at any time lived in or around the village of ALTON

Offline Grandma Cas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 June 08 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Aitch, wow 8) James was my gggrandad, just been looking into Kezia myself, would love to see your info on the Brindley's & Warringtons, just read a book by Gordon Brindley that has a photo of Kezia when she was 19. PM me & lets talk.

Carol ;D

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

I have just noticed your post.  I have the Salt family from Nook Farm, Wootton in my tree.  I also have contact with someone who is specifically researching this family and has loads of info.  Send me a PM with your email address and I can give you more details.

Regards

Roger
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)