Author Topic: Salt Family in Wootton  (Read 14141 times)

Offline clevercat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Family in Wootton
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hello all!

We currently live at Nook Farm, Wootton. We are aware of the Salt Family history - and clevercat - it looks like you have a photo of our House :-)

Does anyone have any photos they could send us - or any requests for information about the House or Wootton?

Steve
Salt's of Wootton, Bairds of Coleraine, Harrison's of Staffordshire

Offline clevercat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 14:31 BST (UK) »
On back of photo Aunt Ruth has written
This is a picture of farm house at Stoke-on-Trent (England) where Mary (Salt) Harrison was born (abt 1824) also William Salt Harrison (abt 1856) my father.
Salt's of Wootton, Bairds of Coleraine, Harrison's of Staffordshire

Offline RosieGrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 June 11 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

How marvellous that you live at Nook Farm! 

I started this topic in 2008 when I began to have an interest in the Salt family of Wooton, and in particular at Nook Farm.  The earliest mention of a Salt in the Ellastone parish registers that I have found was in 1584 when William Salte baptised his son Thomas, and then three more sons by 1591.  In that year a John Salt married Jone Parkar, and both William and John are described as freemasons, ie stonemasons, in the registers.  I think William and John were brothers, but they may have been father and son, both also served as churchwardens at Ellastone church. 

Work probably brought them to Wootton in the late 16th century, and it may have been to help build Wootton Lodge which was built as a hunting lodge for Sir Richard Fleetwood between 1580 and 1610.  I understand that Nook farm was also built in the late 16th century and am wondering whether they built that as well.  I would be very interested indeed to know how far back your knowledge of the Salt family goes. 

I have traced my Salt family tree back to both of the original freemason Salts.  The connection with Nook farm I have traced back to Samuel Salt baptised in 1648, son of John and Emma Salt and gt.grandson of the original William.  Thomas died in 1699 and administration was granted to his wife Ann, also a Salt and gt.granddaughter of the original John Salt.  The administration lists his belongings and mentions "the goods in the house in the nook for it is commonly called so."

The Salts would have farmed as tenants and the Manorial Rolls should have records of changes of tenancy.  I have not looked at those yet, the combination of Latin and being written in secretary hand is a bit daunting.  The Salt family connection with Nook farm is my main interest now and I would appreciate any help you can provide. 

Regards
Beryl

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 March 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
hello everyone.

i too have 2 lines of 'salts' in my tree from the area.

ann salt 1722 married my great x 5 grandfather, william finney in 1742. i can get back to ralphe in 1530, but this line might not be secure. anns father was john 1692 who married prudence wood in 1719.
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I have a few of the manorial court records. Here is my transcript of one from 1742.

Transcript of Manorial records for 21st October 1742

(in margin) Manor of Wootton

The Court Leaf & Court Baron of Richd. Davenport Esq held at Wootton for y[e] mannor aforesaid this twenty single Day of October in the year of our Lord God one thousand Seven hundred and forty two before Wm. Mills Gent Steward there

Jurors

John Brown
Mathew Tatton
John Coape
John Challinor
Joseph Twigg
Saml. Hudson
Saml. Finney

Richd. Tatton
Robert Robinson
Wm. Shemilt
Saml. Salt
Wm. Malkin
Ralph Berrisford

We amercy [fine] Thomas Salt for breaking the Excise of ale Two pence - £0-0-2d

We amercy all Persons for want of appearance each person - £0-0-6d

We lay a pans [rule] that if any person Lodge any Travelors for more than one night and a way [day] within the Liberty Shall be amercied ye next Court Day - £0-5-0d

We lay a paine that if any person be Known to Destroy the Lords Game Shall be amercied next Court Day - £0-10-0d

We lay a pane of all persons within one libeerly [liberty] if they do not bruch [trim back extending branches] their hedges and scoure their Ditches betwixt [now] and Crismus [Christmas] next shall be amercied next court day - £0-5-0d

We amercy William Finney for breking the Excise of bre[a]d - £0-0-2d

We lay a pane that if any Person Keep any Pockey Scabliy [poxy & scabby] or other Disorded Horses upon the Commons or Streets Shall be amercied next Court Day - £0-10-0d

We lay a pane that if any Person or persons shall fling any carrin [carrion] or other nautious thing into any Spring or running water Shall be amercyd next Court Day - £0-10-0d

We continue all former paynes

John Brown
Mathew Tatton
John Copre
John Chaloner
Joseph Twigg
Saml. Hudson
Saml. Finney
Richard Tatton
Robert Robinson
William Shimeld
Saml. Salt
Wm. Malkin
Ralph Berisford
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline Nook Farm Salts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve of Nook Farm
We are also descended from William Salt and Ann Heath through their son Samuel born 1832.   He married Mary Marson in 1854 in Wednesbury and had two daughters plus a son William John.   William John's son Selwyn born 1884 in Gravesend and was our grandfather.
Samuel was the vicar of the Church of the Resurrection in Dresden, Longton, for 40 years.   He died in
1907 and was buried in that churchyard along with his wife, daughter Elizabeth and daughter in law Helena.   
We would like to visit both the church and Wootton soon.
Marilyn

Offline lisagreatrix68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 July 21 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, any help greatly appreciated. I have just been doing my hubbys line and his 5th Gr Grandmother was Prudence Salt born 1777 in Ellastone, who married William Walker in 1797. My own 5th Great Grandmother is Ann Salt, born abt 1757 in Ellastone who married James Warrington in 1778. So many records for Salts there but would to know if there's a link or if anyone can help with the parents both sides that would be appreciated. (We already share 5th Gr Grandparents on a different side! Ouch!)

Thank you to anyone in advance who can help!

Lisa