Author Topic: Salt Family in Wootton  (Read 14066 times)

Offline xgriff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Family in Wootton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 October 08 10:27 BST (UK) »
Am I on the right track here ...

In 1851 I believe John and Mary ran the Bromley Arms - the only reason I know is that it appears my g-g-g'mother worked as a servant for them as a 12 year old in the same year.

Harriet Udale b 1839, born Calwich (?) seemed to have lived there without any other family members. Can anyone shed any more light??

Thanks
Griffiths
Farrant
Henshaw
Barrow
Draycott

Offline SBSFamilyhistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 08:55 BST (UK) »
hello, I don't know if these are related to your Salts but my great great grandmother was born Sarah Salt in 1821 and died in 1848 leaving 4 children who were then sent to Uttoxeter Workhouse.

Sue

Offline willowthecat

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 May 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosie

I am also a descendant of William Salt and Ann Heath (3xgg), through their daughter Sarah Salt (b1830).

I'm not sure how much information you have now as I noticed that you submitted your original post 12 months ago, but if you have any information of William Salt such as his parents etc, then that would be fab, as I haven't got any further back for him.

It's been an absolute nightmare trying to figure out which Salt was which, particularly in Wootton and Ellastone. I've also got the added problem that one of my Salts married a Finney, which was another popular name around there too!

Bye
Willow

Offline clevercat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Wondering if this is a connection?  William Salt would be my 3X gg grandfather.

I have William Salt born 1776 Nook Farm, Wootton married Anne Unknown.  My connection is Mary Salt born 1824 died 1899 Holmfield Manitoba Canada.  She married David Harrison 1849 and immigrated to Canada around 1857.  Children that I have  for William and Ann: John 1821, William 1822, Mary 1824, Ellen 1827, Sarah 1830, Samuel 1832, and Ralph 1834.  All born at Wootton.
Salt's of Wootton, Bairds of Coleraine, Harrison's of Staffordshire

Offline clevercat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 05:26 GMT (UK) »
I have their son William Salt Harrison born Dec. 12, 1855 at Wootton in County of Staffordshire. 

Offline RosieGrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clevercat

William Salt of Nook Farm was my 4xgt.grandfather so yes, we do have a connection and I am pleased to meet you.  He married Ann Heath at St.Peters Ellastone in 1806 and I have found 12 children for them altogether, including Rebecca Salt b1810, my 3xgt.grandmother. 

In the 1851 census Rebecca's daughter Mary Ann Salt was living with David and Mary Harrison, in Chester Road, Macclesfield, Cheshire.  She was working as a cook for them their children and their three lodgers.  I have never been able to find David and Mary after 1851, now I know from your post that they emigrated to Canada!

I have gradually acquired a lot of information about the Salt family and am happy to share with you.  Are you descended from William Salt Harrison?

Beryl

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi all...
Just in case it may be of any use - I've just finished transcribing all the Parish Registers for Alton St Peter's - baptisms, marriages & burials from 1675-1837 for FreeReg.  They're not online yet, but should go up over the next week or so when they upload this months batch.

The Alton registers are heaving with Salt families & folk from Wootton would often use the Church at Alton as well as the one at Ellastone.   
Might be worth a search if any of your Salts have gone missing! :)

Here's the link -
http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

- Aitch  :)
RATCLIFFE, BARLOW, BERESFORD, BLOOR, BYATT, DAKIN, KENT, LEES, MORTON, NORCLIFFE, OAKS, OSBORNE, PARKS, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, SORTON, WETTON, WARRINGTON, WATTS, WOOD, WOLVERSCROFT (all from the Staffordshire Moorlands) - and specific interest in anyone who at any time lived in or around the village of ALTON

Offline clevercat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beryl

Thanks for replying. 

Yes William Salt Harrison is my great grandfather.  I don't have a firm date around 1857  when they came to Canada but settled in Mitchell Ontario, where 6 more children where born two died in infancy and one I have not been able to trace.  David died in 1870 Mary in 1899. William, and his brother Matthew and George came to Manitoba about 1879.   Mary the sister came later.  Also Mary Salt also came to Manitoba. They settled around Holmfield MB.

Be very interested in any info that you have on the Salt's

Offline NookFarm

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hello all!

We currently live at Nook Farm, Wootton. We are aware of the Salt Family history - and clevercat - it looks like you have a photo of our House :-)

Does anyone have any photos they could send us - or any requests for information about the House or Wootton?

Steve