Author Topic: DEW Family in Iver  (Read 9159 times)

Offline LeeHall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
DEW Family in Iver
« on: Wednesday 23 April 08 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi - for some years I've been bashing my head against a brickwall in my DEW family research. With a lot of help I've traced my mother's Islington/Holloway family back to the Hillingdon/Uxbridge area of Middlesex with my direct ancestor ROBERT THOMAS DEW born in West Drayton 1828. I learned from his marriage certificate that his father was a SOLOMON DEW who died bef. 1857. This is an unusual name  and the family's continued use of it was a great help in tracing them. I found my family on the 1841 census in Hillingdon through ROBERT's brother SOLOMON DEW b. abt 1833 in Yiewsley. Unfortunately it is the vaguest cesus entry I have ever come across, either the enumerator was given the information by a neighbour who did not really know the family or they were ignorant of their own names and ages etc, so I have a JOHN DEW, above 20, not born in county and his potential wife 'N.K' above 20 and six kids 'under 20'. JOHN DEW is listed as a Brickmaker, Robert's dad SOLOMON DEW is an 'excavator' on the marriage cert. I'm not sure if they are the same person - ROBERT named his second son SOLOMON JOHN, it's possible that his father was also called this and went by the name of JOHN. I found the mother of the family on the 1851 census as the re-married ANN JONES with husband JOHN JONES - I identified her through her sons mistranscribed as SOLOMON and THOMAS LEW. JOHN JONES was born in Hammersmith so might not be the JOHN DEW of the 1841 census. However, on the civil reg. index there is a 'L_man Dew' who died Dec 1837 Uxbridge - could be a mistranscription of Solomon? I had pretty much given up hope of getting any further back with my family until yesterday I chanced upon this family from the IGI
ROBERT DEW & SOPHIA and their children
THOMAS b.1799
SOLOMON b. 1801
SOPHIA b. 1804
JAMES HUGHES b. 1807
ROBERT b.1809
WILLIAM b. 1812
Iver is pretty close to Hillingdon and I have a suspiscion I might have found 'my' SOLOMON DEW, ROBERT's father but I have absolutely no proof! What I'm asking in a very long-winded way is if anyone has any information about the Iver DEWs and any hints as to how I might find the link between them and my family? - As far as I can see they are not actually from Iver, there are no earlier baptisms, one other couple JOHN and HANNAH DEW are having children there at the same time. It is my suspiscion that this family is linked to the 18th century DEWs of Blewbury, Berks. who also use the name SOLOMON over many generations. Any help with linking them up VERY gratefully received!
Apologies for such a long post and thanks for your patience.
Lee
ADAMS, ALDRED, AYERS/AYRES,BAILEY,BOWLES,BROOKS,BURROWS/BURROUGHS/BORROWS, CANN,CAPPS,CATCHPOLE, EDMONDS/EDMUNDS,FISHER,GOSLING/GOSTLING, HALL, HOOK, LARKMAN, LEABON, MOORE, MOSS, MOULTON, PARK/PARKE, POWELL, SAUNDERS, SPURGEON, WORTLEY and growing...
Norfolk & Suffolk - particularly Yarmouth and Lowestoft, (some Essex, London, Liverpool, Durham)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DEW Family in Iver
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

If they do turn out to be your family this marriage looks promising

Robt. Dew and Sophia Hughes 11 Jun 1797 Ealing, Middlesex

Jan ;)

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline LeeHall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 10:59 BST (UK) »
Absolutely! I think the JAMES HUGHES DEW gives it away :) Thanks Jan, don't suppose there's any hints as to where they might have come from?

Regards,
Lee
ADAMS, ALDRED, AYERS/AYRES,BAILEY,BOWLES,BROOKS,BURROWS/BURROUGHS/BORROWS, CANN,CAPPS,CATCHPOLE, EDMONDS/EDMUNDS,FISHER,GOSLING/GOSTLING, HALL, HOOK, LARKMAN, LEABON, MOORE, MOSS, MOULTON, PARK/PARKE, POWELL, SAUNDERS, SPURGEON, WORTLEY and growing...
Norfolk & Suffolk - particularly Yarmouth and Lowestoft, (some Essex, London, Liverpool, Durham)

Offline LeeHall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 11:31 BST (UK) »
Someone just found ROBERT and SOPHIA DEW on the 1841 census in Yiewsley and ROBERT is the right age to be ROBERT DEW b. 1769 in Blewbury! Do you think I can start making connections yet?

Lee

Offline pharmakon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 11:37 BST (UK) »

However, on the civil reg. index there is a 'L_man Dew' who died Dec 1837 Uxbridge - could be a mistranscription of Solomon?

I suppose you mean FreeBMD. FreeBMD's standard advice is always to check the original which you can do by just clicking the spectacles icon.  

I have checked the original and there is no doubt at all that the name is Solomon. I'd get the death certificate if I were you.

Offline LeeHall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 11:43 BST (UK) »
I never knew that was possible  :-[ Thank you so much, I'll order the certificate right away!

Thanks,
Lee

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 April 08 21:20 BST (UK) »
This is all looking good - let us know if the death cert throws any light. Re the marriage: you could post on the Middlesex board, someone may be able to check the original parish record entry which may say where Robert was from.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline bumbled

• I am sorry but my email is no longer in use.
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 September 08 22:10 BST (UK) »
hi
i was born in iver and am very patriotic,collect all sorts of things(iver)
just been looking through some of my books and have come across your surname of dew.

1801 john dew and his wife were living in iver.
  1821 robert dew was sharing a house in iver with 3 other families, 12 males and 7 females.
no dew members on the war memorials 1st or 2nd.
in the settlement book a michael and mary dew moved to iver from harmondsworth,middx, it says 1747.
in 1827 an ann dew moved to iver from hillingdon.
good luck
sue
blower/ puddifoot/tyrrell/odey/bryant/gibbs/from middx and bucks.

dover/spokes/brant/from berks

Offline LeeHall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 September 08 09:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information Sue,
I'm particularly interested in the ROBERT DEW you mention, with his rather full house! I don't suppose you have any additional details about him - like an occupation perhaps? Also, do you know if the settlement book makes any reference to the arrival of Robert and his wife Sophia in Iver? Presumably around 1798...?

Thanks again for your help,
Lee