Author Topic: Joseph & Mary CORFE interred Salisbury Cathedral  (Read 16156 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Joseph & Mary CORFE interred Salisbury Cathedral
« on: Wednesday 23 April 08 11:00 BST (UK) »
Can I ask a BIG favour of anyone who can visit Salisbury Cathedral, Wiltshire?

My 5 x g grandparents, Joseph CORFE and his wife, Mary (nee BERNARD) are apparently interred(?) in a chapel within Salisbury Cathedral, he dying 29/7/1820, and she 9/4/1826. I have the following references F176 and F177, whatever they relate to? Joseph was the organist of the Cathedral 1792 to 1804, when he resigned in favour of his son.

I have a fair bit of information on their history, however, I would dearly love a photograph of their internment/inscription, if possible.

Thanks

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Bagpuss_Janet

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry (Harry) Moon
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph & Mary CORFE interred Salisbury Cathedral
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 08 21:13 BST (UK) »
I'm going Christmas shopping in Salisbury on November 28th!   ;D  If you would still like someone to look, I'm happy to do so, if you don't mind waiting.
BALL - Kent (and a bit of Essex!)
BELL - Suffolk
BENDALL - Somerset
DARTNELL - Kent
DOWNING - Yorks
DRIVER - Kent
GROVE - Staffs
LIVERMORE - Kent (and a bit of Essex!)
LOVELL - Kent, Somerset
MINDHAM - Yorks
MOON - Berkshire, Cumbria, Kent, Lancs, Somerset, Staffs
MORELAND - Ireland, Liverpool, Essex
WALKER - Suffolk, Norfolk, Kent
WALTER - Kent

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 September 08 03:25 BST (UK) »
If you would still like someone to look, I'm happy to do so, if you don't mind waiting.

Yes, please! You may be happy to do so, but you wouldn't be as happy as me if you could take some photo's.  This request was originally posted 5 months ago, so waiting another 2 months isn't a problem.

As I indicated in the original posting I had two "internment (?) references". I hope they make it easy for you to find, as I don't want you to waste valuable Christmas shopping time  ;D

Once again, thanks for you offer - much appreciated.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Bagpuss_Janet

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry (Harry) Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 September 08 05:16 BST (UK) »
Okay - I've marked it on my calendar for a few days before I go so I can come back and check the details before I go.  :)
BELL - Suffolk
BENDALL - Somerset
DARTNELL - Kent
DOWNING - Yorks
DRIVER - Kent
GROVE - Staffs
LOVELL - Kent, Somerset
MINDHAM - Yorks
WALTER - Kent

Offline Bagpuss_Janet

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry (Harry) Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 17:54 BST (UK) »
Good news!    Mum and I decided to go to Salisbury for a mooch round the shops today so I was able to get your pictures.

I'm not sure how interment works so I don't know whether they're actually buried underneath what I found or whether there is some other arrangement, but we managed to find a really helpful Cathedral guide who was able to look them up and take us straight to them.    I thought (although I don't know why) that I was looking for a plaque on the wall so I'd have never found them as the inscription stones were on the floor under rows of chairs!

Anyway, it was easy to move the chairs, so voila!

The inscription for Joseph isn't very easy to read, and his name is written as Corve, but the wording shows it's definitely our man.  His wife is correctly named as Corfe and her stone is much clearer.

Sacred to the Memory
of JOSEPH CORVE
Senior Gentleman of
his Majesty's Chapel Royal
and organist of
this Cathedral
He died July 29th 1820
Aged 79 years

Sacred to the Memory
of MARY CORFE
Relict of
JOSEPH CORFE
She died 9th April 1826
Aged 84 years

The organ is not the one your guys will have used, having been replaced in the late 19th century, but there is a plaque on the side which mentions Joseph and his son, Arthur.

I have taken some of the inside and outside of the cathedral, and there are also the pictures I posted above in their original size.  You can view my album here...

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f235/JanetSerenaPics1/Family%20Tree/

Feel free to copy and keep any pictures you'd like.    :)
BELL - Suffolk
BENDALL - Somerset
DARTNELL - Kent
DOWNING - Yorks
DRIVER - Kent
GROVE - Staffs
LOVELL - Kent, Somerset
MINDHAM - Yorks
WALTER - Kent

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

What can I say? THANKS VERY MUCH!!!  I hope that indicates how appreciative I am of the photographs. They are just what I wanted. I'm glad they weren't too hard to find, albeit with the help of a guide. I too probably would have been walking up and down looking for something on the wall  ;D

RootsChat is a great site for this kind of help when things are on the other side of the world. Only last week I took some photo's of an Australian grave for an English RootsChatter. He too was grateful with his photo's, and wanted to know what he could do in return. I told him not to worry as "what goes around, comes around", and your effort is a prime example of that. Yes, its a good feeling when we can all help each other in the spirit of Family Research.

Once again, thank you!

Les

Offline Bagpuss_Janet

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry (Harry) Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 September 08 10:06 BST (UK) »
You are more than welcome.  :)

I'm not as quick at tracking down missing info from census returns like some Rootschatters but I'm more than happy to do photographing - in fact, I positively enjoy it - it's nearly as good as looking for my own relatives!
BELL - Suffolk
BENDALL - Somerset
DARTNELL - Kent
DOWNING - Yorks
DRIVER - Kent
GROVE - Staffs
LOVELL - Kent, Somerset
MINDHAM - Yorks
WALTER - Kent

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 September 08 10:50 BST (UK) »
I'm not as quick at tracking down missing info from census returns like some Rootschatters but I'm more than happy to do photographing - in fact, I positively enjoy it - it's nearly as good as looking for my own relatives!

Janet, your reply is a carbon copy of my very own experiences with RootsChat! I have taken a few photo's for some people, but trying to answer questions before the others, well I often run a close second place (if I can answer them at all). I answered one the other day when it came on the screen the moment I was looking at the unread posts. I replied with the correct answer, but was beaten by another RootsChatter by 27 seconds.

Yes, its fun, enjoyable, and very heartening to find so many people willing to help others.

Les

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 October 08 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Les,
Excuse me leaping into your thread. I have been tracing my wife's tree and discovered her 3 x gt grandmother was a Sarah Corfe, who was baptised 02 September 1813 in Stocksbridge Hampshire, parents Richard Corfe & Joan unknown. Sarah married John Ingleby at Marylebone Middlesex in 1829. Was wondering if there could be any connection between these Corfes and yours?
Cheers Pete
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,