Author Topic: Joseph & Mary CORFE interred Salisbury Cathedral  (Read 16111 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph & Mary CORFE interred Salisbury Cathedral
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 October 08 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete. No problems whatsoever "leaping into my thread", as that's the only way of finding things out, though unfortunately, it doesn't appear so this time.

Although Joseph and Mary Corfe are my direct ancestors, this is the only Corfe surname I've really followed. They came from Salisbury, Wiltshire, and had 3 sons and a daughter, I being descended from the daughter, therefore no more Corfe family surnames for me.

The four children were all born around 1760's/1770's in Salisbury. One son died unmarried in a naval shipwreck, one married to a Bella Graham and I know of no children. The 3rd son son married, and had some 10 children around the time of the birth of your ggg grandmother, but no Sarahs. And the daughter only had one child, my gg grandfather.

So can't help you with your Corfes, but good luck, and enjoy your "hunting".

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 October 08 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Les,
Well that's a pity, was hoping there might be a connection as Corfe does not appear to be that common a surname. Only 70 families in the1891 census according to Ancestry, never know might find a connection eventually.
Have you seen somebody else from Oz was looking for Corfe organists in Salisbury Cathedral on Ancestry back in 2001?
Cheers Pete
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 02:24 BST (UK) »
Have you seen somebody else from Oz was looking for Corfe organists in Salisbury Cathedral on Ancestry back in 2001?

I was in contact with someone around that time, in fact there may have been more than one. I think one from Oz and one from the UK? We shared a little bit of information, as I don't normally "wander" any further than direct ancestors, and ancestors' siblings and their families. I'm sure it was one of those researchers who supplied me with the names of the 10 children of one of the sons. I'm sure(?) she had a lot more information on those children's descendants, but it was getting too far away from my direct lines. I just recorded the 10 names and birth/death years.

I don't remember seing anything on Ancestry, though that is not to say they aren't there. I know my tree is on RootsWeb which associated with Ancestry, though my tree is very very old, and needs updating badly with new information and amendments.

This is the link to RootsWeb World Connect with results of the Corfe surname

http://www.rootschat.com/links/04gq/   

Perhaps you may find something here?

Les

Moderator Comment: Very long link shrunk using http://www.rootschat.com/links/
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline AnneK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi All

These Corfes are related. Joseph had a cousin called James who was the son of John Corfe, dancing master, the brother of Joseph Corfe senior, the father of Joseph the organist. John was born in 1702 and was married to Lucretia Bourne/Boorn of Amesbury. James was born in 1728 in Salisbury and was an apothecary in Stockbridge. Richard, born 1769 is the son of James and his wife Edith Knight. He was a draper and his wife was Joan Nash. I never knew they had a Sarah. So far I'd found a Robert Carey, Lucretia Jane, Charlotte, Mary and Thomas and I thought I had searched the records all through!

The father of John and Joseph senior was John born around 1670 in Winchester. His parents were Robert and Barbara and his wife's name was also Joane. Don't know her maiden name though. I believe that Robert's father may also be Robert but I can't be sure.

Pete, if these are your people then a) your wife is related to my husband and b) Lucretia has most likely some very illustrious ancestry.

Les, have you ever come across a book called "The John Marsh Journals" which is an edition of journals kept by an amateur composer and musician of that time. I got it on Amazon and it brings your ancestor Joseph to life as nothing but a contemporary account can. However, I have to say that I don't think John Marsh was his greatest fan!! ;)

I have quite a file on the Corfes so if either would like any further info please let me know.

Anne

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 12:10 BST (UK) »
I have quite a file on the Corfes so if either would like any further info please let me know.
Anne

Thanks Anne

Yes, I would like to see if you have any further details. I will contact you via PM, after I check my Corfe records, and hopefully we can swap some information  :)

Les

Offline BLANK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 November 10 02:12 GMT (UK) »
b

Offline AnneK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 November 10 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi jon
Nice to hear from a real Corfe. I am sure that there is a link between the Corfes in Winchester and those in Salisbury. I know that George Corfe the son of Joseph the organist spent time in Stockbridge and Winchester. I have seen Joseph's account books which mention this.

The most obvious link is the occupations. The Winchester Corfes are also chemists, surgeons and tailors and drapers though they seem to be less involved in the church. I guess that the link is with a ?brother of Robert Corfe of Winchester whose two sons moved to Salisbury in 1692 as singing men for the Cathedral. There is some question of his being a bell ringer and from the OPRs which I've seen he seems to have been a church warden. His father's name may also have been Robert though I'm not clear about that. I am pretty sure that a good rummage in the Parish Records in Winchester would produce some fruit in this regard but sadly I live in the North of Scotland, currently under several feet of snow.

One of the Corfes, Henry an apothecary or chemist spent time in Glasgow for a while but fairly quickly scuttled back down South.

I have your Robert marrying Mary Miller in Southampton in 1819.

I

Offline AnneK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 November 10 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I seem to have run out of space. As far a I can see your Robert is the son of Edward Corfe and Susanna whose name is currently unknown. I have carefully failed to include my source for this on my Corfe database. Yes, indeed sad person that I am I actually have one of those! My info on the Winchester Corfes is thinner than on the Salisbury ones but I'm sure it is only there for the finding.

My favourite Winchester Corfes are Frederick who was a surgeon, emigrated to the USA and was a field surgeon for the North in the Civil War . I see  he is one of yours. Is he your direct ancestor? There is quite a lot about him out there on the www.

I also have an affection for Beatrice Olive who is also a descendent of your Robert and did some lovely water colours, mainly of flowers but also of other subjects.

Please message again if you think I may have any more info you may find helpful.

Anne

Offline AnneK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 November 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Just remembered. Joseph the organist's house in Twyford near Winchester is currently for sale for a cool £4.5 million. It is on Strutt and Parker's website. Personally, I think Les should reclaim it as his ancestral home.

Anne