Author Topic: Strandown?  (Read 10700 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Strandown?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 27 April 08 05:38 BST (UK) »

I also have that James "was angry that his brother was not buried in the cemetery with his sister because it was full; and when a Catholic Mayor whose wife was Anglican was allowed - James switched to the Presbyterians left Ireland for Scotland."

ard

Hello ard,

The first Catholic Mayor of Belfast was Alban Maginness in the late 1990s. I'm not certain about Mayors who may have been married to a Catholic ... it's a thought. Belfast had a Jewish Mayor though. Otto Jaffa was Mayor two times ... in the late 1800s and again in the early 1900s.

Christopher

Online ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 April 08 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christopher - I didn't think of that angle of search.

It was said that they lived outside Belfast, so it might have been another mayor - if that story is correct - especially if it were Samuel not James that the action concerned.

This discussion is certainly giving me a lot to think about!

ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Online ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 05:10 BST (UK) »
couldn't find a marriage for a Samuel Ferguson to an Agnes black. found this one, thought i would put it on to see what you thought.
SAMUEL FERGUSON TO AGNES BOYD 28-2-1858 @ MAGHERADROOL COFI,MAGHERADROOL,DOWNPATRICK, DOWN.
                                                              regards Mary.

Mary - if you read this, do you know how I could get a copy of this certificate? I'm still not 100% sure but I'm leaning toward it being significant. I'm not sure either what information it might contain (apart from their names) but it might help me -

cheers,

ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 07:45 BST (UK) »
Irish marriage certificates contain name of bride and groom, their residence at time of marriage, age (whether full or in years if underage if you are lucky not a birthdate), marital status, occupation, fathers' names and occupations (mothers not listed), names of 2 witnesses, place and date of marriage and name of clergyman/registrar.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 16:05 BST (UK) »
Well - that is a good start! I have found that marital status, witnesses names (sometimes) and father's info definately tends to opens new doors.
ard

Online ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 January 16 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Years later and my best wished go out to all!

I am taking a few moments to review old information, since I haven't been able to pursue my searches in years.

My g grandfather was James Ferguson born at Strandtown, Holywood in 1861 (Scottish census in ref). His parents were Samuel and Agnes Boyd (who was from Anahilt - English census ref).

I have from Mary
SAMUEL FERGUSON TO AGNES BOYD 28-2-1858 @ MAGHERADROOL COFI,MAGHERADROOL,DOWNPATRICK, DOWN.

Which seems to be a likely match. (apparently Samuel Ferguson's was 24 at marriage, b 1834 father Alexander Ferguson Agnes Boyd was 19 b 1839 father James Boyd - Magheradroll M70218-4 film 101 395 p 648 in36 Magheradrool 20:38/51)

I had originally found  a marriage (IGI) for a Samuel Ferguson and Agnes Boyd in 1863:
Samuel Ferguson  Birth:  1838   Of, Holywood, Down,
Agnes Boyd  Birth:  1842   Of, Holywood, Down, Ireland
  Marriage:  About 1863   Of, Holywood, Down, Ireland  but it no longer appears in searches so maybe it was erroneous.

Their children appear to be born at Holywood (Agnes-who must have died before 1870,Anne b. 1870 for whom there are IGI records, also James b. 1861 and John b. 1863 for whom I have found no online records.) They left Ireland after 1870 and before 1880 (when they were in Workington Cumberland Eng,) but may have gone to Scotland first.

Family notes: Samuel may have had a brother Hank (John?) who became an Anglican minister and inherited family property. I think Samuel quit the Anglican to go to the Presbyterian church. (some story about bitterness re: a burial) The surname Black features somewhere.

Who knows if there are more records that could shed some light!

All the best to one and all

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 January 16 21:36 GMT (UK) »
You can view the original certificate 1858 marriage certificate on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2 (sterling) to a view a certificate.

That should give you Samuel’s father’s name. Also addresses and other information that may help your research.

Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church which should be on the certificate, (unless it was a Registry Office marriage). That church may be the place to look for her baptism and that of any siblings.

Daughter Agnes’s birth was registered in Belfast on 5.10.1864 and Anne’s on 31.3.1870. Mother’s maiden name given as Boyd for both, so that seems to rule out a second marriage. I also see a James 14.5.1876, Samuel 27.2.1878 & Edith 24.11.1879. Parents Ferguson & Boyd. (Could be another couple of course).

Death of an Agnes Ferguson registered Belfast 21.6.1871 aged 7.

Statutory birth registration started in Ireland on 1.1.1864. So that accounts for why you can’t find birth certs for James (1861) and John (1863). You might find their baptisms but to do that you would need to know where they were baptised.

Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 January 16 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I had originally found  a marriage (IGI) for a Samuel Ferguson and Agnes Boyd in 1863:
Samuel Ferguson  Birth:  1838   Of, Holywood, Down,
Agnes Boyd  Birth:  1842   Of, Holywood, Down, Ireland
  Marriage:  About 1863   Of, Holywood, Down, Ireland  but it no longer appears in searches so maybe it was erroneous.

The IGI (International Genealogical Index) was originally composed of extracted and submitted records. A few years ago the submitted records were separated but can still be be found on Family Search using the 'Genealogy' tab. Here's the link for that record you found- the clue is in the use 'Of,':
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:M286-49Y
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.