Author Topic: Glover Bros Mill, Wortley, Leeds  (Read 7340 times)

Offline amandakerby1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glover Bros Mill, Wortley, Leeds
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 May 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
Wow thank you so much for all this information! How amazing you are still in that house and wonderful to be able to look up its history.  I'm so glad to mentioned the link to Daniel Hinchliffe as he features in my link to the Glovers.  Daniel Hinchcliffe (1825-1906) was married to Rachel Rhodes (1822-1903) who had 3 children that I know of, Elizabeth (1854-1895) Joseph Hinchcliffe (1845) and Benjamin Hinchcliff (1851). My link is through Elizabeth who first married Lionel HIRST, the HIRSTs being another family invested in mill ownership with many talented professional members of their family - mill owners & engineers. Lionel was a surgeon and sadly died shortly after they were married. Seven years later Elizabeth married again to Harry CRAVEN (1860-1934) and had 4 children, Harold Clifford Henry Craven, Rachel M Craven, Daniel Hinchcliff Craven and Claude Lionel Craven. Daniel H CRAVEN married Gladys May (Kitty) GLOVER linking forever the Hinchcliff an Glover families. Their apparent only child Anthony Rene CRAVEN married Joan Muriel Clarke Irons, my Nan's sister! Phew!
One other little tidbit - I wondered where the 'Rene' name came from. Clarence Glover and his wife Mary Ann BULMER had 2 chidlren, Gladys May (above) and a son called Joseph Rene GLOVER (b 1893) so that's where it came from, but where did it come before that?! In 1901 census Clarence is in Laburnum House, and as you will know they had a visitor staying with them, one Rene Buggenhoud aged 28, a general merchant of Belgian nationality!  That's mixing business with pleasure! 

Offline Andrew Stanton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 October 18 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I have just started researching the Glover family and came across this site. I am interested because I am in possession of a Rolls Royce which, according to records,   was first purchased  by Albert Glover and Sons in 1957 and would like to know as much as possible about the cars connection to the Glover family (assuming i have the right Glover family) a picture of Mr Glover with the car  would be my dream  find! Any help gratefully received. 

Offline clarence2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 19:51 BST (UK) »
I am not navigating this thread well!
The Albert Glover and son is I think Glen Mill at Morley and maybe a different branch of the Glovers... there were also other Glovers in Leeds and it can be hard to sort them out.

Offline Andrew Stanton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Clarence,

Thanks very much for your reply, much appreciated. Your advice is duly noted. If you have any ideas on where I might best pursue my inquiries further, I would be most grateful. As stated in my first post, my dream is to find a lovely picture of Mr Glover with the Rolls Royce. Many thanks again.

Offline clarence2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 October 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
I see there are some records in West Yorkshire Archives... Bradford Library. You could try an online search of west Yorkshire Archives or National Archives using a range of terms. Albert Glover, Glen Mills and so on. There is a photo on Leodis website of a charabanc outing from Glen Mills.

Offline SimonHC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 October 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hello All, this is all very interesting for me as Clarence Glover is my great grandfather and Daniel Hinchcliff (he didn't use the E) is my great great grandfather. My research has shown that Joseph Glover (Leonard, Edgar and Clarence's father) worked in a mill but somehow managed to get enough capital together to start his own in the Wakefield area. The brothers end up with the mill in Wortley after Joseph dies, I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events. What may be interesting to the present Clarence at Laburnum House is that Daniel Hinchcliff also lived in the house, definitely at the time of the census in 1881 but, perhaps, was already there in 1871 as he is in Lower Wortley but there are no house names or numbers on the document. Edgar and later Clarence sold out their shares of the business and somewhere I have Leonard's obituary. The mill included another large property, Fawcett House, which has since been demolished. I believe Clarence may have lived there too at some point. I have photos of both Laburnum Hose and Fawcett house probably from late 19th early 20th century. I'd be interested in any information people have on either of the families and also the Cravens whose family Daniel Hinchliff's daughter Elizabeth married into (Harry Craven was a draper and his father, Henry, an iron founder from Wakefield.

Offline clarence2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 October 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
I would love to see older photos of Fawcett House and Laburnum House.
Fawcett House was built by the Nussey family who then moved out to North Yorkshire.
It is hard to spot the mill and the clothier's house (Laburnum House) in the censussss because the village had no streets as such.
You can find Bateson's Mill in the 1851 and I think the 1861 if I remember correctly. You can find the clothier's house which I think was originally belonging to James Bateson because the Topham family lived there -  Christopher Topham. I can give you a lot of info re the Batesons and Tophams although I don't know so much about the GLovers. The Glover brothers lived in many of the bigger houses in Wortley including Westfield House and Highfield House which again belonged to James Bateson. It was the Bateson family who built the mill around 1795.  I did not know the connection between Daniel Hinchliff and the GLovers. Daniel went to live in Gildersome - he was at Laburnum House in 1871 and 1881. Joseph GLover had established his company in Wortley from 1866 which is when I think Christopher Topham sold it..... I always wondered where Daniel came into the story

Offline SimonHC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Clarence2, I'll dig out the photos and try to put them up but it won't be until the end of the week. Can you send messages and files privately on this site as I could do them higher resolution?

Offline clarence2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi I don't know. I only come on it to talk on this thread and that only of late.
We could ask if we can share emails maybe. That would help as I have some information about Laburnum House that is a big file with photos that I could share with you.