Author Topic: Glover Bros Mill, Wortley, Leeds  (Read 7389 times)

Offline Ivyhedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Glover Bros Mill, Wortley, Leeds
« on: Saturday 26 April 08 08:49 BST (UK) »
Has anyone got any info or photos of inside or out of the Glover Bros woolen mill.  The site is now a chemical plant belonging to Rhodia.  In their History they say the site was that of the Mill.  I'm picking that the Bros. were the sons of Joseph and Harriet.  My Gr Grandfather Edgar was one of the sons, Leonard is listed as a mill manager, Joseph the father as employing 57 people.  Edgar married Achsah Brook.  The Brooks were also in textiles.  I'm attaching a location map from Rhodia, & a photo from inside the mill from the history of Leeds.

Any connections greatfully received. :)
Battrick, Yorks
Wayman, Yorkshire
Donaldson, Otago
Danobie, County Durham
Glover, Leeds

Offline EnglishErika

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glover Bros Mill, Wortley, Leeds
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 09 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ivyhedge

I do not currently have any info regarding the Mill but am about to research it as I have just found out that my Gx3 Uncle's children worked at the 'woolen mill' in Wortley circa 1901.

If I find anything out I will let you know.

Erika

Offline Ivyhedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 May 09 00:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Erika, at over a year old I thought that post was dead.  I wish you good research. As I live in NZ if you need some research over here sing out. Kind regards
Battrick, Yorks
Wayman, Yorkshire
Donaldson, Otago
Danobie, County Durham
Glover, Leeds

Offline EnglishErika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 May 09 09:31 BST (UK) »
No problem at all.

Will let you know if I find anything.  I can tell you that the chemical plant is no longer there, my husband said he thinks that it is now a water works (slightly worrying if you ask me!).

The area of Wortley itself is right next to Leeds City Center.  The site itself was located next to the roundabout that is at the end of Whitehall Road.  I know people that live in the area so will be asking them if they remember the Mill or know anyone who does.  Fingers crossed that some one does.

Thank you for your offer, if only I could find a link to NZ!!!  LOL I think I would need to do my own research though, excuse for a holiday lol!

Right well off to do some research now.  Take Care

Erika

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ivyhedge

Back in 1846, there was a family called Glover who had a woolen cloth scribblers and dyers in Leeds. The firm was run by three brothers called Frederick, Joseph and William.

However according to a newspaper report in March 1847 a forgery case was discovered and warrants were issued for the arrests of all three brothers who had escaped justice from Leeds and disappeared, to places as far as USA.

Two of the brothers, Frederick & Joseph were unmarried but William had an extensive family and he left them high and dry.

Reports of this forgery and search for the brothers can be found in the Leeds Mercury which you can research free of charge in 19th century British Newspapers.

Just go to Lancashire Libraries online and start the fun, very addictive!!

Tom

Offline clarence2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 November 17 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi it's an old thread - just saw it because I was googling GLovers Chemicals. There are two or three photos to see on LEODIS website old photos of Leeds - of the works outside views. The Glovers used to live in my house so I have researched them a bit.

Offline amandakerby1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 May 18 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I googled Glover's Mill Yard as found it in 1891 census with Carmi Glover and Frederick Glover both living there with families. I am doing some quick research of this family, as one of our family married a Anthony Rene CRAVEN who was married to Gladys May GLOVER, daughter of Clarence GLOVER (1865-1926) and Mary Ann BULMER, son of Joseph & Harriet Hamilton (b 1839), both born in Leeds, and who married on 11 May 1857.  On the marriage register Joseph’s father was given as William Glover, who was a tailor, born in Kent, who married Mary from Morley.  Joseph was the eldest of their 7 children, his siblings were Frederick (1837), Marie (1939), Eunice (1846), Selina 1850), Edward (1840) and the youngest Carmi (1852-1905).   In 1851 William and Mary were living in ‘Bottoms’ in Morley in the district of Churwell.
Out of curiosity, I followed Carmi Glover through other records to check the spelling of his name and in 1891 discovered him  living in ‘Glover’s Mill Yard’, Wortley, Yorkshire as a dyer, with wife Mary A and children Mary E, Hettie 15, Sarah C 13, Joseph S 10, Ada 8, Beatrice 5.   His wife Mary Ann and the eldest children were all cloth weavers.  Carmi’s elder brother Frederick, another son of William and Mary Glover was also living in the Mill Yard.
Following Joseph GLOVER and in 1871 he was a ‘manufacturer of Woollen cloth” living in Alverthorpe, Wakefield.  He and harriet had a large family:
1.   Eunice Glover (1858)
2.   Leonard Glover (1860-1929)
3.   Edgar Glover (1862-1947)
4.   Laure Glover (1864)
5.   Rose Ann Peel Glover (1864)
6.   Clarence Glower (1865-1826)
7.   Lily May Glover (1869)
8.   Herbert Glover 1872
9.   Archibald Glover (1874)
10.   Elsie Hamilton Glover (1877-1887)

I was intrigued to see the link to the BROOK family who were primarily cotton mill owners. I have them on another part of my family tree so have quite a bit of research in the past on them. I'm just amazed at how these families all link up. It has formed a loop in my tree now! I guess they all tried to keep the money in the wealthy families. I note on the LEONIDIS site ithe photo of house at Alma Road - was built in 1866 for William Glover who was the owner of a Leeds chemical firm. Was this the same William Glover from Kent, father of Joseph. The checmicals woudl haev been surely the dyes used in the manufacturing to colour the wool?  Would love to know more....
Hey Im in NZ also, in Christchurch, say hi if you get this msg and we can catch up if you are near!!
Amanda Kerby

Offline clarence2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 May 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
I live in the house where the Glover family lived. It is called Laburnum House and can be seen on Leodis website. Clarence lived there and other family next door in some cottages. The family also lived in other big houses in Wortley ie Fawcett House and also in Highfield House and Westfield House at various times.
Joseph Glover must have bought up Wortley Low Mills around 1860 and the Glovers took over running the mills and lived in Wortley around 1891. The mill was a woollen mill and dye works. By the 1930s the mill was all chemical and dyes and was sold for a lot of  money. It has recently been demolished leaving Laburnum House as the surviving building.
If you look on maps Laburnum House is on Lower Wortley Road and the mills were south of the house on Whitehall Road adjacent to Wortley Beck.
The family were wealthy and in the newspapers of the time there is a report of a young woman being misled by one of the younger sons and she takes him to court for breach of promise. You can read this on Find My Past research site.... a witness was taken to Laburnum House and given champagne to drink in an attempt to pervert the course of Justice!
I did not know about Alma House I will look that up now.

Offline clarence2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 May 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say, Wortley Low Mills and Lower Wortley Mills and Upper Mills Wortley were all used at various times to describe the mill that the Glovers owned in Wortley. The mill was previously run by
Hinchliffe Daniel I think he went to live Gildersome .... Wellfield House in Churwell.
Christopher Topham of Morley son in law of the below James....
James Bateson of Highfield House
Mathew Bateson, the above James (brothers) and John Bateson their father and was built around 1790 with Boulson and Watt Steam engine purchased around this time.
You are right, all the families were interconnected by marriage and partnerships. The money "went into clumps" as you mentioned.
I have researched the history of our house and the mill if you are interested in any more about this. I don't really know much about the Glovers though.