Author Topic: Where is Drumcrow in Killeevan Parish?  (Read 6652 times)

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Where is Drumcrow in Killeevan Parish?
« on: Sunday 27 April 08 18:54 BST (UK) »
On the Griffiths valuations I have found some McEniffs in the parish of Killeevan. The area they are in is listed as Drumcrow. Does anyone know where this is? I know I had family living in Newbliss and Gortnana, but can't find Drumcrow anywhere.

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Angela

Offline jackstorey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Drumcrow in Killeevan Parish?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 May 08 20:24 BST (UK) »
OK Drumcrow, Killeevan Parish, is a townland which touches both Aghabog & Currin Parishes.  The Monaghan Exiles Weblink frequently assists its members by sending out maps of the Townlands enabling easy identification of the homes of Ancestors etc. If this appeals to you you can ask to be added to the Monaghan Exiles Weblink by contacting me directly at (*) - asking to be added to the Weblink.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Philyjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi angelan,

I have been researching my family history recently, and I have stumbled across your post. (My mothers maiden name is mc eniff, we are from Donegal)
My research (admittedly a lot of my uncles!) has also led me to Drumcrow, it would be interesting to compare notes, as i'm led to believe there are very few Mc Eniffs around, and it would appear everyone who searches for my great grandfather (Mc Eniff) cant find much other information other than his name.

Regards
Philip.

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Philip

Happy New Year. I spoke to your mother on the telephone just a few weeks ago. We certainly share many of the same ancestors. The  lady in the photograph below my username is your great grandmother Catherine McEniff. She was known as Cassie and was my mother's mother. Cassie first married your great grandfather John McEniff at Killeevan church. They moved to Glasgow, Scotland and almost a year later their daughter was born. The family are on the 1901 Scotland census. Sadly John died in Glasgow before your grandfather was born and his wife and daughter eventually returned to Ireland. Your grandfather was born at Gortnana, County Monaghan few months later.

Several years later Cassie married again and had three more children - my two uncles and my mother.

I have copies of both of Cassie's marriage certificates and a death certificate for her first husband John. The Scottish death certificates give a lot of information and his death certificate gives the names of his parents. If you haven't seen this certificate you should be able to find a copy from one of your uncles.

I will be away for the next couple of days, but if I can help with any more information we can exchange email addresses via the personal message system on this website. Email addresses must not be posted here where everyone can see them. I believe you have to have made several posts on this site before you are allowed to send personal messages.

Please send my best wishes to your parents.

Kind regards
Angela

Offline Philyjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela, I'm guessing seeing as you have spoke to my mother ... It's a very small world sometimes.

So far my family tree (starting with my grandfather)
John mc Eniff b1902 d1968 married Elizabeth begley... Etc etc etc
His father was also
john mc Eniff b1860 d(circa)1902 married (1900) Catherine mc Eniff who had two sisters Mary and Annie? Catherine had a father by the name of Michael mc Eniff.
As of now that was as far as I had managed by myself.

From your thoughts... John had at least one sister
And then Catherine has an entire new family after remarrying.
I will trawl through my uncles records and see what he can dig up regarding my great grandfather.
As you have said in assuming he has some records.

Just a quick question: my grandmothers side is easy enough to trace as they are on census's and marriage records etc, and it's in good detail.
Yet the mc Eniff side from my internet searching seem to appear in Ireland between 1851 and 1901 census ...
I know there's a return from Scotland, but I'm assuming that means they were once from Ireland ...? Or is that potentially where I'm going wrong?

Regards
Philip.

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Philip
We are having major problems with broadband at the moment and only seem to have a few minutes each day when we are connected. I answered your message a few days ago, but the signal failed before I could send my reply. When I tried to send the following day my message had been timed out.

You are right about Cassie's sisters Annie and Mary. There was another sister Margaret too. All three of them emigrated to the USA and they are on census records there.

Will send this now before our connection fails again.

Regards Angela

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Philip

John married Catherine (Cassie) in Jan 1900 at Killeevan Church, Monaghan. They then appear in Glasgow in 1901 with their baby daughter (born Dec 1900) and Annie (Cassie's sister) is with them too. John was from Ireland but must have lived in Scotland for some years as he appears on the 1891 Scotland census (name misspelled). Annie remained in Scotland where she married an Irishman and they had four children. Annie and her family later emigrated to the USA and settled in Minnesota. The baby daughter mentioned earlier (born Dec 1900) also emigrated to the USA when she was around 20 years old. She stayed there for a few years but eventually returned home to Ireland. From memory I think it was around 1914 when Annie's family emigrated. You are correct about Cassie having a sister called Mary. There was also another sister called Margaret. Mary and Margaret also emigrated to the USA. My mother used to tell me about relatives in the USA whom she had never met.

Cassie also had two brothers. One brother Michael died when he was quite young. Her other brother can be found on 1901 and 1911 census records. I have a mass card for this brother who died in the 1950s

My broadband connection has been intermittent for the past few days so I will send this now before it goes off again. You have to have made three posts before you are able to use the personal message system. When you have replied to one more post I will be able to send you a personal message with more information about the family. I have copies of family letters from the USA which were passed on to me via one of your uncles and I have a death certificate for your great grandfather who died in Scotland a few months before your grandfather was born.

Regards
Angela