Author Topic: Grandma from Llanwrst  (Read 5239 times)

Offline modette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Grandma from Llanwrst
« on: Monday 17 January 05 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.

Just found out my great great grandmother and her parents came from Llanwrst. Has anyone got any information about this place, culture, language etc.

If you can help- Thank you

Modette
 :)
I am looking for info on the following names<br />Harvey             Brown<br />Jenkins             Head<br />Sheldrake        Williams<br />Moulding<br />all from the East End of London<br /><br />Also any information about a Dutch subject Albert Merles who appears on the 1901 census

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grandma from Llanwrst
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 January 05 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Modette,

LLlanwrst is in Denbighshire in Wales.
for starters, try Google with "llanwrst wales" and "llanwrst denbigh"

Some of it is just hotel guides and such, but there are bits of info. in there, too

Good luck !
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Modette,

the best place to start for local info is the Genuki site. This gives loads of background info. You'll have to look for Llanrwst though (it means "church community of St. Grwst").

Theres also the BBc site with a link to Llanrwst, which isn't bad:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/llanrwst/index.shtml

and even a Llanrwst Forum, which doesn't seem to be used much:
http://www.forum.llanrwstguide.com/
Theres a few nice photos there though.

My favourite book shop in Llanrwst:
http://www.llyfrau-books.demon.co.uk/

I've got the Llanrwst Parish registers from the Clwyd FHS - 1613-1812.

I used to work in Llanrwst during my summer holidays years ago, several of my ancestors were born and buried there.

If you want to experience a bit more of the language, you could always try this board:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=133.0

I have to admit, it does look somewhat formidable to start with, but once you get to grips with the basics, it ISN'T all that bad. My wife said its easier to learn than English.

If you want any more info, just let me know.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 January 05 00:18 GMT (UK) »
My wife has a large family in and around the Llanrwst area, so don't be shy - tell us who your great grandmother is - perhaps we are related.

If you want any help with your Llanrwst ancestry I have access to all the census returns (although parts of 1861 haven't survived). I also have access to some Llanrwst parish registers which are later than those transcribed by Clwyd FHS (mentioned by DapD)

Offline titch

• RootsChat Member
  • member of both Gwynedd and Clwyd Family History
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 January 05 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I, too, am from a large Llanrwst family and have first hand knowledge of the community. Do please give us a name to enable us to help you, not only with names and dates but with a 'feel' for the place and description of house or street where they lived, where the graves are and the memorial Inscriptions.
Titch
Williams, Roberts, Jones, in Merioneth,  Flintsshire, Denbigh and Caernarfonshire, Hughes in Caernarfonshire and Liverpool , Arnold, Mongomeryshire, Caernarfon and Denbighshire
Higgins in Kent/Essex

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline modette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Sorry, haven't been online lately

My Granny's name was Mary Williams and she was born about 1838. The only other member of her family I know off at the moment is her daughter Annie Williams, which is says was also born in Wales, just doesn't say where abouts.
Off to check out the sites D ap D recommended.
Was quite daunted when I saw Mary Williams as an ancestor, as there are probably loads of women with the same name from Llanwrst.

Any help with this will be gratefully received. Maybe get a chance to go to Llanwrst myself soon and have a look about

Thanks again
I am looking for info on the following names<br />Harvey             Brown<br />Jenkins             Head<br />Sheldrake        Williams<br />Moulding<br />all from the East End of London<br /><br />Also any information about a Dutch subject Albert Merles who appears on the 1901 census

Offline SP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 14:26 BST (UK) »
My grand dad was born in Llanrwst in 1901 the family were living at 4 Lomax Terrace Llanrwst, father Henry/Harry, mother Annie(nee Evans)
Margaret Anne abt 1890. Robert 1892,Mary about 1894, Samuel about 1896 Llewellyn about 1899 and Willie 1901.

I do have one other address where they lived later but do not know if it is spellt correctly!! 4 Glan Gorwog Terrace????.

I have been told that Anne died(?) and Henry/Harry remarried she was from Breconshire.

Henry/Harry's parents were hawkers, one of his uncles was a master painter-John Davies 12 Factory Street Denbeigh??, an Aunt Mary Louisa married a Robert Greslen

I would very much appreciate any help or advice, as it would be marvelous to find relatives still around the area.
Davies Ruthin, Holywell, St Asaph,Abergele, Llanrwst,
Carmarthen, Rhonda Valley, Hertfordshire

Kelman Carmarthenshire, Manchester, Doncaster Russia!!

Offline modette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Since posting, I have found out my G G G Granny was Mary Williams, born about 1838 and he husband, my G G G Grandfather was called William Williams. Thier daughter Annie married my G G Grandfatehr Charles Sheldrake, but they had moved to London by then. I think William Williams must have died quite young as only Mary and Annie appear on census returns after Annie married.

Still looking into them though. Will post if I find anything of significance

Offline titch

• RootsChat Member
  • member of both Gwynedd and Clwyd Family History
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 21:23 BST (UK) »
I have just looked through the 1851 census index for Llanrwst and Capel garmon and have found a Mary Williams aged 12. The only other youngster of that name is 9.  I have read that often in the early censuses that ages were rounded up and down. 
Abode: 14 Denbigh Street Llanrwst
Robert Roberts  Head  M  62  sawyer b betws yn Rhos Den.
Ellin Roberts  Wife         58               b Trewydir Llanrwst Cae
Mary William    neice      12  coachmans daughter  b Llandwrog Cae
David Williams Visitor  U  24    slater   b Llanrwst

As you will see Ellin was born in the Caernarfonshire side of Llanrwst. I shall look through those indexes to see if Mary is there.
The other mary Williams aged 9 lived in Nebo,  a small village which comes under Llanrwst also.
titch
Williams, Roberts, Jones, in Merioneth,  Flintsshire, Denbigh and Caernarfonshire, Hughes in Caernarfonshire and Liverpool , Arnold, Mongomeryshire, Caernarfon and Denbighshire
Higgins in Kent/Essex

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk