Author Topic: St Aubyn's Arms  (Read 10688 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: St Aubyn's Arms
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 April 15 23:31 BST (UK) »
Gosh it is a long time back I think most of what we found is included on this thread I'll dig my notes out and report back though in case we found more.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Lilybee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 April 15 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Toffywhirl
How lucky you are to live in Crowan I have been there twice but have never been able to find the Cornish Mount.
James "Tinman" Pool is my gt gt grandfather but it is his son James who wrote his memoirs. I do have a copy thank you and I am assuming that like mine yours is an incomplete copy.
James and his brother Frederick had a massive falling out, this was the reason for James writing his memoirs but when they were hidden in the chandelier somebody (James?)had removed the relevant pages .
Are you acquainted with Audrey Pool, I was in touch with her about 3 years ago but haven't heard from  her so it is possible that she may have died. Most of my information comes from her late husband Peter Pool who was the family historian. If Audrey is still alive she would be a good source  of information for you.
I have a copy of the book J& F Pool had printed to mark their 100 years. I also have a copy of their catalogue published in 1909.  When do you plan to have your exhibition? I am in Cornwall at the end of September and could bring them with me if they are of interest.
Are you related to the Pool family? I have a double tie as my gt grandmother Jane ( daughter of James "Tin man" ) married her first cousin Joseph Francis Pool.
I am off on holiday tomorrow  we are going to Yorkshire if you would like to contact me * . I am happy to help you in anyway I can.
Best Regards
Lillian

*Moderator comment: Personal e-mail address and telephone number removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice.  Please use the personal message system to exchange such information.  Thanks  :)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 April 15 18:53 BST (UK) »
Lilybee,

You are not meant to put your email address or phone number on here.

As you have now posted 3 times, you can contact Toffywhirl through this site and then exchange personal information and addresses.

I was last in Praze a year ago - my parents lived within the walls. 

Offline Toffywhirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 April 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
my thanks all - this is all very much appreciated and any help you can give may just be the clues we are looking for to add some " colour" to James " tinman" life and give him and his company some fame.
Trees -- many thanks for looking at your research - again much appreciated. The St Aubyn Arms connection is one I'm now investigating as well - our two villages are very close and intertwined. I'm learning of the history of that aka(perhaps the Praze Hotel) as we speak and new facts seem to be coming in daily - clearly, when I have then in some coherent order I am more than happy to share what I find
Lillybee - Nice to make contact!:-) my copy of the manuscript is indeed incomplete as well, but I'm arranging to check with what I assume is the original as it is still in the Chandelier in the church apparently. I know of Peter P as I have his additional notes as well, but I'll investigate to see if his wife Audrey can be found. Most intrigued about this book to mark their 100 years- first I've heard of that - but enjoy your holiday now and I'll contact you in a week or two and take this further.
As for the Cornish mount - sadly it is now 3 houses - none of which have that name - but it looks as though your great x5 grandfather "owned" or "had charge" of most of the village, including , 3 or more houses, a farm, the mill, one or two pubs etc -- around late 1700s - early 181800s and that is most intriguing as the village then belonged to the St Aubyn family now of St Michael's Mount  so was there more connection than is apparent??. If you are around this way maybe I could organise for you to go the houses The Tinman lived in -- ( great name btw, and saves confusion with James the Plumber, his father ;-) - speak again very soon-- regards Toffywhirl -- but really its David