Author Topic: McFarlane: 1861 census  (Read 14089 times)

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McFarlane: 1861 census
« on: Monday 28 April 08 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Can anyone shed a light on what a "Printfield" worker in Bonhill Dunbartonshire was???
My family are found living in Main St, Gardners Land....I would love to know where in Bonhill that was, most of them where born in an area called "Alenand"...just wondering if thats correct or is it misspelt?

cheers
Lindy-lou  :)
Cruickshank (Huntly/Gartly), Robertson (Kirriemuir), Mundie(y) (St fergus), Cheyne (St Fergus), McGregor (Perth), Thomson,  Rennie, Clark,Willox,  N/NE Scotland
Chads(worldwide)
Lightbourn,Parker, Bermuda
Cornell, USA
McFarlane,Isle of Mull & Renfrewshire
Breslin,Glasgow & Ireland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane: 1861 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 April 08 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy-lou

A printfield worker was a mill worker who printed cloth with dyes and inks. See this link for a list of old occupations: www.scotsfamily.com/occupations.htm

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 April 08 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi MonicaLesl

Thanks for help and the link...going to have a look now...the person I'm looking at seems to have changed occupations quite a bit through the years.

Lindy-Lou  :)
Cruickshank (Huntly/Gartly), Robertson (Kirriemuir), Mundie(y) (St fergus), Cheyne (St Fergus), McGregor (Perth), Thomson,  Rennie, Clark,Willox,  N/NE Scotland
Chads(worldwide)
Cornell, USA

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 April 08 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I notice you have McFarlane in the Dumbartonshire area. Any chance you link with Robert, born 1829 in Cumbernauld? He was the son of Thomas McFarlane and Christian Grinlay. They married 1825, also in Cumbernauld.

hume24 :)

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Hume24
I just started looking for McFarlanes last night, I'll let you know if your names appear along the line.
I'm double checking the names, dates etc at the moment and then if correct I'll start the quest for siblings etc.
cheers

Lindy-lou  :)
Chads(worldwide)
Cornell, USA

Offline lorna llan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 08:58 BST (UK) »
We have a lot of McFarlanes in Dunbartonshire who all seemed to be in the textile trades. First I  found a Patrick/Peter McFarlane born in 1770's who married Grizal/Grace Park of Old Kilpatrick. Their sons were John, 1807, b Bonhill, and Peter, 1824, b Glasgow. Peter had 4 more sons, John, Peter, Alexander and James, between 1855 and 1866. Another Park sister, Margaret, married a John McFarlane in 1788. So far I have found sons John b 1788 and Peter b 1807. Also in the picture was a James McFarlane born about 1800 in Dunbartonshire. Two of his sons were Peter and Alexander, born 1825 onward and found in 1861 census. These people lived in Bonhill, Luss, Alexandria, Cardross, Renton and sometimes in Glasgow. They were printfield workers or weavers.  Do you think there is any connection with your McFarlanes?  Is is possible to attach a document showing all the names and dates? I'm not too familiar with how you do that on this site.

Offline linda c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I am also researching Mcfarlanes.
I have Neil Mcfarlane babt 1827 Greenock and wife Elizabeth babt 1829 Dumbarton.
They had daughter Ellen (Helen?) babt 1861 in Scotland and later had 2 daughters & a son all born in Hull. I read somewhere on this site that they had a son also called Neil who died in infancy.
Do any of these names connect to you? I appreciate Mcfarlane is a common name in Scotland

Offline lorna llan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 20:20 GMT (UK) »
In the Dunbartonshire MacFarlanes I know about, mostly weavers or printfield workers, there were no sons named Neil, so I don't think there was a close connection. Scottish people were pretty consistent about obeying the rules for naming children at that time, every child had to be named after grandparents or uncles, aunts or parents.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Adding to my earlier post of this thread, I have now found that Robert McFarlane's grandparents were Thomas McFarlane and Elisabeth Baird. They were of Condorrat (now part of Cumbernauld). When I was doing research into this branch of my family (my paternal grandmother's), I found a Thomas McFarlane of Condorrat sentenced to transportation during the Radical War ... however, not confirmed it the same person but would be interesting to see if it is. :)

hume