Author Topic: Killeevan Sarsfields G.F.C. Have historical information  (Read 5587 times)

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Killeevan Sarsfields G.F.C. Have historical information
« on: Tuesday 29 April 08 19:15 BST (UK) »
I am in posession of a booklet to commemorate the Official Opening of Sarsfield Park and Club Rooms. Published 1983.

The editor of this booklet is obviously a keen football fan with an keen interest in local history. The book details some of the games played and trophies won and is accompanied by a few old photographs of players and fans.

There are also a few school photographs from 1914 - late 1920s. I found my mother and her brother amongst these.

The booklet also contains lists of Newbliss residents from the late 19th and early 20th Century.

I have the editors permission to share this information with anyone who has an interest in the contents.

Offline MurphyMcDonnell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Killeevan Sarsfields G.F.C. Have historical information
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello I'm Chris Murphy and my parents was from near Newbliss (James Murphy).He was born in 1920 and played for the Sarsfields as a young man. If you have any available information on that era I would be really grateful to hear from you. I can be contacted on (*). Thanks and God bless!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 09 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris

Welcome to Rootschat. I'll have a look through my information and see if I can find anything about James Murphy.

My mother was from Newbliss and her cousins were Sarsfields players.

There are some local school photographs too from the 1920's so perhaps he'll be on one of those. Do you know which school he attended?

Angela

Offline MurphyMcDonnell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 April 09 21:35 BST (UK) »
He was at Drumcaw NS I believe. Many thanks for your prompt reply. Chris

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris

have just been looking through information to see if there's any mention of James Murphy. Most of the information about Killeevan Sarsfields is form the 1920s 1930s when they were winning trophies. This would be too early for someone born in 1920. The name Eddie Murphy is mentioned quite often though - any relation? I know Murphy is a very common name in Ireland.

There is a list of players taking part in a match in 1965. Amongst them is a J. Murphy (sorry no first name)

There are some school photographs with some Murphy children in them. The ones with dates seem to be from the 1920s or earlier. No sign of a James Murphy, but there's a Seamus, Shaun, Kathleen, Gertie and Winnie amongst them. Could any of these be your father's brothers/sisters/cousins?

Angela

Offline MurphyMcDonnell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 April 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
My dad was known also as Seamus and  the other children are his brothers and sisters. That would be great, thanks very much! Chris