Author Topic: MACKELLAR- New South Wales  (Read 12551 times)

Offline airliem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacKellar - New South Wales
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 February 10 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Dear Janice
Can you assist me, I am trying to unravel the McKellar (Mackellar) connection also.  I started with Alexander Duncan Mackellar who was born in Argyll 23 Dec 1821 and came to Aust with his parents, father Duncan and I had seen in Horseman of the First Frontier that he had a brother Duncan Elar.  So is this the family from Braidwood and if so, is his father Duncan the son of Neil Mackellar and convict Sarah Cooley.  I read that Neil's five children had been taken back to Scotland after Neil disappeared aboard "the Caroline".  However the notes I have said that Duncan became a Lieut in the Royal Navy, there was also a son William Neil, a daughter Elizabeth who married a John Francis Drummond, and two other daughters Isabella and Lilias.  The Uncle nephew situation has me confused, as it sounds like Alexander's father could be both the uncle and the nephew.
with thanks

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 February 10 03:54 GMT (UK) »
I have been going through my information, but can't remember who told me that some of the information regarding Neil MacKellar was wrong when it was linked to Duncan and Janet MacKellar.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline airliem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 February 10 04:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes I can see how easy that would be to do, this is what I had found...
"I have additional information relating to the children of Sarah COOLEY and Neil MACKELLAR, and would love to share information with any interested parties. Liz Penprase
Her boat, the Mary Ann, reached Sydney on 9 June, 1791.

I haven't found any record of Sarah Cooley's and Neil MacKellar's marriage, and the likely birth records indicate that they were not married. So this may have been another one of those early liaisons that the authorities wanted to "regularised".

Sarah's and Neil's children were:
Elizabeth MacKellar Born: 9 Dec 1793 Died: Cal 1859 (London)
Duncan MacKellar Born: 5 Dec 1795 Died: 1853 (Calcutta)
He is recorded as returning to Australia in 1825 with three children.
Isabella MacKelllar Born: 8 Oct 1798 Died: 14 May 1883 (Hobart)
and two others - one male, one female.

I had a note re the schooling of the children - the McK rellies in Britain took (some of?) them "home" for education. They were brought up to be of their father's class, despite the lack of a marriage.

I am linked to Sarah Cooley through Isabella MacKellar."
I also found V

Lieutenant Duncan MacKellar, R.N. (b. 4 December 1796).is this the same Duncan? So who do you think is the father of MY Alexander

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 February 10 04:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure who Alexander's parents were, but there was an Alexander MacKellar born in Argyll to parents (Duncan MacKellar & Mary Campbell) according to the LDS site. (Possibly they have some documentation to prove all of this)

LDS
http://www.familysearch.org/

I know this is a great site. (Unfortunately, you have to pay to view)
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

You should also put a posting on both the Australian page in Rootschat, as well as the "Argyll" Scotland page.  Everyone on this site is terrific in helping.

Good Luck!

Janice

Offline airliem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janice
Here is my Alexander's obit, albeit the date is a bit dodgy you can see my dilemma
Mr Alexander Mackellar
 A very old resident of New South Wales, died yesterday at the Union Club. Born in Argyllshire, Scotland, in 1815, Mr. Mackellar landed in Australia with his'parents when he was 4 years of ago. After spending several years in the Camden and Braidwood districts, he settled, in 1854, ,on the"Richmond River, where he acquired the property on which the town of Kyogle now stands. Subsequently, he sold out on the Richmond, and removed to Goulburn district, where he had since resided. Mr. Mackellar was for many years connected with the turf in this State, and had the unique honour of being doyen of the Australian Jockey Club. He was, In fact, one of its earllest members, and in 1859 contributed towards tho ooBt of the formation of Randwick racecourse, the site of which, in those days, was a sandy, scrubby waste. He was for many years a member of the A.J.C. committee, and at one time for a period of about I5 months occupied the position of chairman, Though not actlvely engaged in the sport, he owned several racehorses chief of whom were Fireworks, winner of the A.J.C. Derby in 1807, and Bulglnbar, who won Tattersalls Cup In 1808. Both horses, however, ran in other Interests. Of late years Mr. Mackellar had ceased to occupy an official position in the club, but his was always a familiar figure at its race meetings. Mr. Mackellar leaves a daughter and three sons, one of whom Is Mr. H.L. Mackellar, who used to manage Kirkham stables, and who was recently appointed , starter to the A.J.C. 30 August 1904 Sydney Morning Herald

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline airliem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Janice
you believe that this Alexander was not connected with Janet and Duncan and Braidwood, I agree the connection is tenuous, aside from "Horseman" and mention of Braidwood in his obit.  Can you tell me your thoughts?

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 February 10 01:49 GMT (UK) »
The way it was told to me, was that sometime after his wife's death, Duncan (nephew of the (Senior) Duncan MacKellar) went back to Scotland with his children, and remained there until his death.

But, I have also been told that it was Duncan (Senior) that went back to Scotland with his wife and family (?), and that the younger Duncan died in 1838 at age 40 in Sydney.
  ???  :P

So, this Alexander could very well be related to Duncan and Janet.

I have sent you a personal message with one of the stories.

Janice