Author Topic: the IGI - what do i do next?  (Read 4987 times)

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
the IGI - what do i do next?
« on: Thursday 01 May 08 21:34 BST (UK) »
hi

i have just got past the 1837 mark on one line and have had a look at the igi.

i have found the christening of my ancestor Abel Finnimore 1820 Devon, and have therfore found his parents names( Richard Finnimore and Anne) and 9 siblings of his. 

How do i now find a marriage of his parents, i can't seem to find it on the igi, and how do i go back further, is it now down to luck as to whether this information is available?

sorry if these seem trivial questions..................!!  ???

sara

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: the IGI - what do i do next?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 May 08 21:41 BST (UK) »
Not trivial questions at all.  We all reach 1837 and before sooner or later.  :)

It is important to remember that the IGI is NOT complete which means that if the parish where your ancestors hatched or matched is not covered by the IGI then you have to rely on other resources.

Sometime there are online parish transcriptions - look at the individual county boards under Resources for links to these.

Otherwise, other RootsChatters may have access to fiche or library resources and may be able to help with look-ups.  Also there are some online parish clerks - Google these for Devon to see what there is.

Then there are transciptions in libraries or the LDS may have filmed the records and you can hire the film for a modest fee to view at a local family History centre.

Or last but by no means least, it means a trip to delve into the archives yourself - if you can.  Maximum eye strain is usually the result, but personally I find the visits very worthwhile.
Definitely ask on here first - you never know what resources people have here.

Good Luck. :)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 May 08 21:50 BST (UK) »
thanks Nell,

i would DEFINATELY delve into them myself if only i were near enough!!!!  unfortunately Devon is about 300 miles from me so will have to rely on other sources!

as i have found abel finnimore then may ia assume this parish is covered and if his parents were from the area their marriage should be accessible.  there are several richard finnimores but i can't find one married to Anne before the first christening of 1807 in Devon!

will look at online parish clerks and see what comes up!

thanks
sara

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 May 08 21:56 BST (UK) »
This site (possibly a little out of date) allows you to search individual parishes which are covered on the IGI:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm

Just because you found someone's baptism does not always mean that the marriages are covered or that baptisms prior to certain dates were covered.  Unfortunately it can be a bit of a lottery.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 May 08 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sara,
Hi was going to suggest you look to see what registers they hold at the Society of Genealogists in London, but I see you're some way from there. too.
www.sog.org.uk
Look under SOGCAT
Otherwise it might be worth locating the local family history society in Devon to see if they sell microfiche for the parish registers of the area in which you think you ancestors lived. They're usually very cheap, and you can take them to view on a microfiche reader at a local library. I bought several for the area I'm researching in Notts and found the registers and MIs very useful.
The local family history society might also know of someone who is researching the same family, and may be able to put you in contact.
Sometimes they offer look-ups at a much cheaper rate than independant researchers.
Hope this helps a little - good luck.
Paulene :)

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 May 08 22:31 BST (UK) »
Sara,
Have alook at this site - there are some wonderful resources for you on their publications list:
www.devonfhs.org.uk
Paulene :)

Offline jim225

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 03:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi sara,
This topic appeared yesterday in a Google search that I did for
Richard Finnimore.
I was backtracking from Abel who is my g.g.grandfather.
Have you made any progress?

Cheers

Jim (from Australia)
 ::) ::)

Offline jim225

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 December 08 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sara,

Thanks for your response. My g. grandfather is John Abel. He
migrated to Australia in 1877.

Merry Christmas

Jim
 ::) ::) ::)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 December 08 08:23 GMT (UK) »
thanks Nell,

i would DEFINATELY delve into them myself if only i were near enough!!!!  unfortunately Devon is about 300 miles from me so will have to rely on other sources!

as i have found abel finnimore then may ia assume this parish is covered and if his parents were from the area their marriage should be accessible.  there are several richard finnimores but i can't find one married to Anne before the first christening of 1807 in Devon!

will look at online parish clerks and see what comes up!

thanks
sara

First please be aware that the IGI is not an index of Parish Registers but is simply an index to the Ordinances of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

As mentioned earlier one possibility is using the LDS Family History Centers, the closest one to you is probably
Liverpool England
4 Mill Bank
West Derby, Merseyside, England
Phone: 44 (0) 151-252 0614
Hours: T 9am-4pm, 7pm-9pm; W, Th 10am-4pm.

There is a very useful one a bit further away at
Preston England
Temple Way
Hartwood Green
Chorley, Lancashire, England
Phone: 44 (0) 125-722 6145
Hours: M, Sat 10am-4pm; T, Th 10am-6pm; W, F 10am-9pm
Closed: from 20 December; reopening 5 January 2009

Callers here can also purchase the various LDS CDs containing transcripts of records.For a full list of FHCs see the website at
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

It may also be possible to purchase microfiche/film of the relevant parish register see my website at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~framland/acts/csf.htm

I would also suggest checking the for sale section of Rootschat as there are many suppliers there who can supply records from all parts of the country.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.