Author Topic: Eston Hills  (Read 20612 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Eston Hills
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 August 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
What a brilliant clip Vicky, thanks for that. I tried the library some time back to see if they had a copy of the film but apparently Craig won't allow the libraries to have it. Can't say I blame him!

It was my great grandfather who apparently preached there. It's a bit confusing, the story has it that he used to take my father with him. However, that's where it gets complicated! The great grandfather who I know for certain was a local preacher had died many years before my dad was born. The other one was Thomas Lickess, he'd previously lived in Middlesbrough and Marske but he lived in the High Street at Eston from at least 1923, so it's possible that he walked across the hills. He died in 1929 so the lady you refer to would have been very young at the time. I'd love to find out if the stories I've been told are true or if like so many family tales, things are lost as they're passed down the generations.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline vicky h

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
Oh for goodness sake, treat yourself, it's a tenner and the guy's obviously worked his whatsits off to make it..... even I, (forager of the universe) have made the effort..  (no I cdn't down load it for free either...)  This chap could have made a mark on our children's lives.... The introductory bit of that clip certainly made me feel proud of where I come from!

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
I'm with Vicky on this, Roobarb....just go for it! ;) ;D

Personally, I think it should be compulsory viewing for anyone with a family history from the area. :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 22:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, you're probably right!  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Susan Simpson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I just came across this site and was intrigued in the comments.
My Dad, Jack(John Thomas) Taylor lived in one of the cottages near the mine and when he was 6 years old he ahd a paper route..which required him to go all the way down to Cross Keys and collect the papers from the Stage coach..(my Dad was born in 1919). At a later date he looked after the pit ponies and he could still remember their names right up to his passing. A Benjamin Muxlow was mentioned., My Dad's cousin married a Benjamin Muxlow..her name was Madge Woodward. I have very fond memories of walking the moor and exploring the ruins and Dad showed us which cottage he lived in, ofcourse all was left of it was a bit of the walls and the clay stone flooring.

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Susan Simpson!  :) Welcome to Rootschat!

Crikey - all the way to Cross Keys to pick up papers? We don't know we're born these days!

Do have a good look round the various forums to see if there's anything you can add to or ask about

Cheers
RuthieB (ex-Middlesbrough and in exile in the east Midlands)
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 March 15 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to see this thread being revived. Since I first posted, the area around the nab has been up for sale, threatened with development and bought by a determined group of local people ( including Craig Hornby), who are now trying to make sure that the hills are there for people to enjoy for ever  and that the mining history is not lost. Sadly, there is an equally determined group of youngsters who are hell-bent on destroying the hills by fire.

The full story is available here:  http://www.estonhills.info/

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 March 15 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Must admit that when I saw this thread again I thought it was going to be some comment about the fires. It makes me very sad that people can do this to such a beautiful and well appreciated area. Having said that, it's been going on for years (although admittedly not as bad as this) and the vegetation has always recovered well.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 13 March 15 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I remember massive fires on the hills when I was a child but I don't think they were set maliciously. Sadly, the recent ones are, I am convinced, being started by youngsters who know that they will gain notoriety, publicity and possibly even street-cred amongst their peers, by their actions. The more upset the locals are, the more pleasure these misguided youths get!