Author Topic: 1841 Census for Taunton- John/Hannah West  (Read 6579 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1841 Census for Taunton- John/Hannah West
« on: Friday 02 May 08 13:31 BST (UK) »
I have the 1841 Census for the household of John WEST, 30,  a Wine/Spirit Merchant, his wife, Augusta WEST and his sister, Hannah WEST, 30 (I presume sister as he has a sister named Hannah bpt the same day as he was).  All living in Tauntfield Cottages, Taunton with some children and servants.

I now wish to see if his parents were also alive in 1841. Their details are very similar to that of their son;

1) Father: John Hook WEST, Wine/Spirit Merchant living in Taunton or Somerset in general. Abt 50 or older.

2) Mother: Hannah WEST, may also be a Wine/Spirt Merchant living in Taunton or Somerset in general. Abt 50 or older.

3) Other children of these two include Mary Ann Rachel 35 old, James John 30 old, Emma 28 old and Ellen 26 old. They could be living with parents but unsure, as I only know of their birth/bpt dates in Taunton. Don't really  require Census for these children, just letting you know of them in case they are living with parents, though presume unlikely?

Thanks

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Tyke B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census for Taunton- John/Hannah West
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 09:35 BST (UK) »
I'm also tracing the Wests from Taunton.

I believe John died before 1830, but his wife was alive until after the 1861 census.

In 1841 she was living in New Bond Street, Hannover Square, London with her daughters Emma (my line)and Rachel Elizabeth

Hope this helps - happy to exchange more info

Regards

Tyke B

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Tyke,

Glad to hear from you - at long last someone else searching the West family! I will send a PM so we can exchange email addresses and information. Only last night I was puting the final(?) touches to this family, but quite happy to open them up again :D

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline gamosa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 July 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
I too am searching the West line.  At this point I'm not sure if I have a connection but I am working on multiple West lines to see if one exists.

First, re John Hook West and Hannah (Bowditch) West - the only two children I could find are Rachel Elizabeth (Heaviside) and Emma (Wheatstone).  Was there perhaps a third sister, Sarah? 

Second, I am specifically looking for info on an Elizabeth West b 1778, d May 11, 1836 and married a Nicholas Bidgood (my ancestor) in 1797 in Powderham.

The only info I have on Elizabeth West is what's listed above.  I am trying to determine if she is in someway connected to John Hook West, or perhaps someone else in his line.  There seems to be a link to Devon for both families and since in those days most people never strayed far from home, I thought a connection might exist.

Thanks

Offline Tyke B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 July 08 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Gamosa

I've looked at the children of John Hook West and there is no Sarah I'm afraid.

Also, we are stuck at John Hook West, and don't have any siblings or parents for him.

Sorry I can't give you any help here

Tyke B

Offline gamosa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 July 08 16:40 BST (UK) »
Could you confirm if Rachel Elizabeth and Emma are the only children for John and Hannah?

I haven't had any luck either with parents or siblings for John Hook West...too bad, because that would be a the break I need!

Thanks again

Offline Tyke B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 July 08 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Gamosa

All the children we have found so far are listed on the top post, plus Rachel Elizabeth. There were 2 James, but one died in childhood.

Hope this helps

Tyke B

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 July 08 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Gamosa

Tyke B and I have been joining forces via private emails over the last month or so, and together we have collected a bit of information on the family of John Hooke WEST and Hannah BOWDITCH. At this stage we haven't come across your Elizabeth WEST b. 1778, though she could be a sister of John Hooke WEST. However there is no evidence whatsoever (at this stage) to point us in that direction.

These are the children of John Hooke WEST and Hannah BOWDITCH that we know of so far, and all born/bpt in Taunton;

Mary Ann Rachel b.1806
Hannah bpt1813
John b.1813 (my ancestor)
James bpt 1812 (died infant?)
James bpt 1813
Emma bpt 1813 (Tyke B's ancestor)
Ellen bpt 1815
Rachell Elizabeth b.1822

All baptism and marriage certificates indicated these are the children of John Hooke WEST, wine/spirit merchant.

There is also Samuel Bowditch WEST b.Taunton 1811 who has been found by Tyke B on various Censuses. I have applied for, and still awaiting his marriage certificate to see if his father is listed as John Hooke WEST, wine/spirit merchant.

I am also awaiting for Wills for both John Hooke WEST and Hannah WEST (nee BOWDITCH), which may also confirm the names of the children.
(amendment-  my mistake - Will of Rachel BOWDITCH nee PILE - mother of Hannah)

So, at this stage, we have nothing to indicate your Elizabeth WEST is a part of this family, but one never knows what you may find around the corner.............  ;)

Les

Offline gamosa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 July 08 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update on Rachel's family.  Coincident with my research on the West line is my interest in Rachel's son, Oliver Heaviside, the famed mathematician.  After reading several books and websites about him, that's how I came to discover the West connection, and in turn it's possible link to my ancestors.  I have also sent an e-mail to a relative of Oliver's who lives in England and I'm hoping that perhaps this person may be able to provide a bit more detail on the West line.  If I discover anything new, I'll pass it along.

Tyke B - I'm sure this is not news for you, but how exciting for you to be related to Emma - the wife of famed Sir Charles Wheatstone.  He was the driving influence for Oliver Heaviside.  I would feel an immense sense of pride and excitement at being connected to such remarkable men!!

I have received a small update on Elizabeth West - seems she went by the name Betty West as I did find her on a census living with m ancestor Nicholas Bidgood and their children.  I was thinking the same thing as you that perhaps she might be a sister to John Hook, maybe even a cousin.  Her birth has a ? of 1778.

And the research continues...

Thanks to both you and Tyke B
Gamosa