Author Topic: 1841 Census for Taunton- John/Hannah West  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census for Taunton- John/Hannah West
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 July 08 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update on Rachel's family. 
how exciting for you to be related to Emma - the wife of famed Sir Charles Wheatstone.  He was the driving influence for Oliver Heaviside.  I would feel an immense sense of pride and excitement at being connected to such remarkable men!!

Living here in Australia I was unaware of how famous Wheatsone and Heaviside were until I found their family connection through my ancestor John WEST (Jnr), and looked them up on the Internet. My John was the brother-in-law of Wheatstone, and they must have been friends at one stage. I read that Wheatstone was involved in the setting up of the telegraph system, and my John, who was a wine merchant like his father, John Hooke West, left that trade and became involved in the Electric Telegraph Company himself. He moved with his family to Scotland, to help with its set up there. He later returned to England and retired as a Superintendent of the Electric Telegraph Company, it being taken over by the Post Office. I doubt he was as clever at Wheatstone, but probably just jumped at the opportunity of being involved in something new. Being related to the inventor would have been a big "stepping stone" in his new career.  ;D

Les 
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline bcwilliams

• I am sorry but my emails have been temporarily disabled
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 December 08 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I am looking at Samuel Bowditch West born ca 1811 Taunton, Somerset, England. He married Emma Mare (dau of John Mare and Mary Row) in jan/feb/mar quarter 1847 at Newton-Abbott, Devonshire. He was a printer and bookseller at Fore Street, Brigwater, Somerset, England in 1841, '51, and '61. Died Dec 1863 at Brigwater. At least two of his sons, Samuel Bowditch West (Jr) and John William West moved back and forth between Torquay, Devonshire, England and St. John's Newfoundland. I saw on this site that you have an interest in this family, and wonder if you know anytyhing about the ancestry of Samuel Bowditch West born ca 1811 Taunton as above. Thanks, Bruce.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce

Welcome to RootsChat - a great site!

I'm only too glad to help you in your request as it appears that your Samuel Bowditch WEST was a brother of my gg grandfather John WEST. It will probably be better if I send you details via private email. I will send you a PM (RootsChat Personal Message), as private emails are not allowed to be published on open threads as spammers can get hold of them.

Regards

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Tyke B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Welcome on board Bruce. Les has all the info I have on the Wests - hope we can progress the West line a little bit further back soon!!

Best Regards

Tyke B

Offline bcwilliams

• I am sorry but my emails have been temporarily disabled
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, and cheers for the New Year from Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Bruce.

Offline lwean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 September 15 18:36 BST (UK) »
I JUST DISCOVERED THIS AND IT IS FABULOUS!  I too am researching the West line, my direct West connection is my grandmother, Florence West (1906-1969).  Her father was Henry Arthur West (1886 – 1962).  His father, Walter Bowditch West (1853 – 1909).  His father, Samuel Bowditch West (1811 – 1863).  His father, John Hook West (1783 - ) and HIS father John West ( - ). 

Hello everyone! 

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 September 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi "Iwean"

As I only deal with direct blood ancestors, their siblings, and to a lesser degree siblings' families, I haven't got a great deal on your side of the family as Samuel Bowditch WEST is my direct ancestor's brother. I only have his wife's and children's names. Though in saying that, I note that Samuel's son Bickford lost 4 sons in WW1!

Les

Offline lwean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply "Les de B"  :)