Author Topic: SIVES - East Lothian - 1650/1890  (Read 29293 times)

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SIVES - East Lothian - 1650/1890
« on: Sunday 04 May 08 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

any info appreciated on Sives family East Lothian,Scotland.  Sives name has many variations e.g Sibbet,Sibbes,Sevis,Sivace,Cives and probably many more that I have yet to try if I can think of them.I have a fair number already on my tree but as always would like more so if you have some info please get in touch. Thanks
Fiona

Offline Shadbram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SIVES - East Lothian - 1650/1890
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 July 08 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have only just joined this site tonight. I discovered a Sives in my tree yesterday, and you are right about the name variants. If it is any help to you my Sives is Margaret Sives c1734 born possibly in Dirleton in East Lothian. She married William Muir (which has several name variants)c1734 North Berwick. They married in 1753, at North Berwick and settled in Dirleton. They had 5 children between 1754 and 1764.
I don't know if this info is useful, but you are welcome to use it for what it is worth.

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 08 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the info on Margaret Sives m William Muir and children.I have a dob for Margaret as 8 Dec 1723 b Dirleton.I have parents for Margaret and her siblings in fact a whole load of Sives info,happy to share.
Fiona

Offline Shadbram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 July 08 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona

Many thanks for reply. I also replied to your other query on another post that overlaps with this one. Thank you for giving me Margaret's birth date I only discovered her yesterday. I would love to know her siblings. Do you want the details of her marriage and her children? As the little info i have i am willing to share as well. I presume I just post the info, please let me know as I have only joined this site to night.

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 July 08 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Shadbram & welcome to Rootschat ;D

I would love to know her siblings. Do you want the details of her marriage and her children?

I have Margarets marriage and children,thanks.Here is Margarets parents and siblings

Adam Sives (aka Sibbes)b12 May 1692 Athelstaneford, mar
Margaret Kunn (aka Kun/Kunn/Cun) b1689 Dirleton,18 Jun 1719 Whitekirk

their children,
John        b15 May 1720 Dirleton  -  John is my line
James      b12 Nov 1721    "
Margaret  b 8 Dec 1723     "
Adam        b12 Nov1727    "
Mary         b1731               "     

I am happy to share info on spouses and children of above if you require this.

I presume I just post the info, please let me know as I have only joined this site to night.

yes you just press reply to releviant post, type what ever info and post.You can check out the beginners board for anything you are not sure of and if your
question(s) are not answered there put a post up which I am sure will be answered.Rootschat takes a wee bit of getting used to at the start,you will soon get into the swing of it.
Fiona

Offline Shadbram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 July 08 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona

Many thanks for info, unfortunately I have nothing else to add at the moment. I only discovered Margaret 48hours ago and I am Amazed at the information you have given me. Most of tree are from mid lothian and Ayr, and this East lothian link is new. I have got my info from the official scottish site which is on line. if I come across any further records from the parish registers i will let you know. I have been looking at google earth to check out the place names and notice that the places mentioned are not too far apart. I am also a member of another site that reunites people where i have my tree on line. If you needed to you could see my tree from this.

Offline KSives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 November 08 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from the American branch of the Sives family.  My name is Kevin Sives.  Here's what I have on my family:

Archibald Sives (born abt. 1812) married Christina Simpson 20 Jun 1841 in Dunbar, E. Lothian, Scotland.

They had Mary & James Arthur (1844 - 1918)

James Arthur (1844 - 1918) married Emily Kempton in England, and emigrated to Falls, Wyoming County, Pennsylvania in the United States around 1870.

They had (Christina, James Arthur - 1869 - 1921, Fred, Julius, Bernice, George, and Miles).

James Arthur (1869-1921) married Mary Elizabeth Smith, and had the following children:

Milford (1892 - 1950), Mildred, Bernice, and Leland.

Milford married Florence A. Hartin, and they had the following children:

Arthur James (1922 -, my father), Evelyn, Dorothy, Ethel, Elizabeth, and Marie.

Arthur James (1922 - ) married Lois Mae Compton, and they had the following children: Kevin Arthur (me)  and Sheila Mae.

I haven't been able to connect Archibald Sives (born about 1812) to any of the Sives lines that were located in East Lothian at that time.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 November 08 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin,

Welcome to RootsChat. :)

I viewed Archibald Sives' death certificate in the hope it would give more detail on his background/parents for you to, perhaps, connect to the other Sives families, but I'm afraid it's not so good. :( He died Dec 24th 1895 in Belhaven, aged about 83 years. It was his neighbour there, Alex. Neilands, who registered his death and he didn't know his parents. He also gave Archibald's wife as Jessie Simpson, rather than Christina.

No help on the 1841 census. He is staying in Logan's Close, Dunbar, but no family with him.

hume24

Offline KSives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information you provided on Archibald.  I did have Jessie listed as a nickname for his wife, but it's good to have confirmation!  One thing I forgot to mention in the original posting was that I've seen him referred to as "Frederick Archibald Sives", but he seems to have gone by Archibald during his lifetime.

There is a Sives genealogy posted by someone at:

http://www.freewebs.com/thetiesthatbindburnsandthomas/sivessibbessivisfamily.htm

that terminates one branch with an Archibald Sives, b. 1813 in Dirleton, E. Lothian, but I have been unable to connect "my" Archibald with that Archibald.  Although geographically it seems to match.

Thank you again!

Kevin