Author Topic: SIVES - East Lothian - 1650/1890  (Read 29244 times)

Offline lenoreinoz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SIVES - East Lothian - 1650/1890
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 02 August 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
I have a question for Tom Buchanan.
I am trying to find BDM details for Margaret Sives who married John Law at Haddington, East Lothian on 16 June 1787. They had a daughter Euphemia Law on 8 Jan 1790 who married Neil Buchanan on 11 Jan 1811 in Athelstaneford. I can’t find birth records for any of these
people.
I’m also wondering if we are related. Neil is my g/g/g/grandfather.

Cheers,
Lenore

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 02 August 18 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi lenoreinoz,

Had a quick look at my tree, and cannot see any Neil Buchanans in it. So I have not made any connection yet.

I will have a search on your relatives.

Tom Buchanan

NB I have found the marriage of Neil Buchanan to Euphan(derivative of Euphemia) Law on 11/01/1811 at Athelstaneford. Euphemia Law was baptised 17/01/1790.
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 03 August 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Found a birth for Neil Buchannan(sic) in Aberlady,

County - East Lothian
Place    - Aberlady Parish Church
Birth date   25 Feb 1784
Baptism date   7 Mar 1784
Person forename   Neil
Father    John BUCHANNAN
Mother    Anne DICKSON

Tom Buchanan

Offline lenoreinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 03 August 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Found a birth for Neil Buchannan(sic) in Aberlady,

County - East Lothian
Place    - Aberlady Parish Church
Birth date   25 Feb 1784
Baptism date   7 Mar 1784
Person forename   Neil
Father    John BUCHANNAN
Mother    Anne DICKSON

Tom Buchanan

Hi Tom,

Thanks for finding this record although I have seen it before. The dates are about right but I can’t find any records to confirm it. I also have some doubts because there don’t seem to be any Anne’s in that side of the family. Neil could also be known as ‘Cornelius’ because that name is very prevalent in the family.

It’s a shame we are not related, as I was hoping to find out more information about my great, great, grandmother Margaret who emigrated to Australia in 1854. It’s difficult to find records from Scotland to assist with research.

Looking at the details in this Sives feed makes me feel like we are all related in some way. The names are all familiar we just need to link them all together.

Cheers,
Lenore

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 03 August 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Lenore,

I have checked my family tree, but do not have any Cornelius or Neil in my Buchanans yet. My earliest Buchanan or Buchannan, is Archibald Buchannan b 1730 approx, birth record not found, I have his marriage to Isabel Thomson in the "Old Parish Records" of Tranent, East Lothian on 9th Nov, 1755.

As you are no doubt aware that Official Registration did not start until 1855, prior to that, we have to rely on the Old Parish Records (OPR) of the Church of Scotland. It was not compulsory to register BMD, as it cost some money, which some families could not afford, so OPR are helpful but do not give 100% cover of all Scotland.

I will keep searching for my Buchanans and hopefully in the future, can find a link somewhere.

Tom Buchanan

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi people.
A lot of familiar members coming up in this thread.  Long time no speak.  Hope you're all well.
I only noticed this old thread because Lenore has been in contact with me directly and I was doing a random search of the boards. 
I too am descended from Sives.  The most recent being my 3xg grandparents, Mary Sives 1798 and Cornelius Fortune 1791 who married in Athelstaneford in 1822.

Just wondering - have any of you that are directly descended from a Sives taken a DNA test?  I'd be interested in comparing results.

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline norbersives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
As you mention, you need to try to confirm your g grandfather's approx birth year from documents in Argentina at the very least to help you further now I would suggest. Have you and family enquiries as to whether there are copies of his marriage, death and burial records?

There is a possible death showing for the Archibald, son of Archibald Sives and Mary Alcock in 1940 in Bradford, aged 85 (fitting well an 1855 birth year). This is also where Archibald and wife Rachel showed in later years. Rachel died in 1922 it seems. Cannot be the same Archibald that you are searching for and no other candidate showing in England in those times that you are looking at  :-\

Monica

Hello Monica. How are you?
I continue with the investigation of the surname Sives and trying to unite it with the family of Scotland / England.
I have a fact that my great-grandfather could be the son of Archibald Sives (1840) and Helen Robertson (1848)
Parents: john, joan (johanna)
siblings: john, joan, james b, janet
half brothers: john, alexander
Do you have any certificate that I can join this data?
Sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm asking you since it's a little difficult for me with the language.
I do not speak English very well.
I wait your answer.
regards
To be able to unite the Sives family (from Argentina) with the Sives family (from Scotland)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 22:57 BST (UK) »
Your English is very good, Norbierto. No te preocupes de eso!

Not sure we are on the right track with the latest possibilities and names unfortunately. Archibald, son of Archibald Sives and Helen Robertson was born on 1 June 1866 in Dundee Scotland. If there is any connection, it would be with the father not the son b. 1866. If we go with the birth year you have for your Archibald, we are looking at a birth year for him c. 1840s. Archibald and Helen Robertson were married in July the year before, 1865, also in Dundee.

Not seeing them in 1871 but I think something happens with Archibald Snr born c.1840 as Helen shows as married to a John Gorrie on the 1881 census. In the household is her 14yr old son Archibald Sives:

John Gorrie 35 Calender Worker b. Dundee
Helen Gorrie 40 b. Cupar Angus
Archd Gorrie 14 mill worker b. Dundee

Address: 294 Hawkhill, St Peter Angus

Helen Robertson died in Dundee aged 55 in 1894 (other names Sives and Gorrie also show on the index for her).

No sign of a death in Scotland for Archibald born c. 1840s. No sign also of a marriage between John Gorrie and Helen either.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline norbersives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 04 October 18 06:15 BST (UK) »
Your English is very good, Norbierto. No te preocupes de eso!

Not sure we are on the right track with the latest possibilities and names unfortunately. Archibald, son of Archibald Sives and Helen Robertson was born on 1 June 1866 in Dundee Scotland. If there is any connection, it would be with the father not the son b. 1866. If we go with the birth year you have for your Archibald, we are looking at a birth year for him c. 1840s. Archibald and Helen Robertson were married in July the year before, 1865, also in Dundee.

Not seeing them in 1871 but I think something happens with Archibald Snr born c.1840 as Helen shows as married to a John Gorrie on the 1881 census. In the household is her 14yr old son Archibald Sives:

John Gorrie 35 Calender Worker b. Dundee
Helen Gorrie 40 b. Cupar Angus
Archd Gorrie 14 mill worker b. Dundee

Address: 294 Hawkhill, St Peter Angus

Helen Robertson died in Dundee aged 55 in 1894 (other names Sives and Gorrie also show on the index for her).

No sign of a death in Scotland for Archibald born c. 1840s. No sign also of a marriage between John Gorrie and Helen either.

Monica

Monica:
Then my Archibald of 1845 could be this Archibald of 1840 who married Helen, and then I migrated to Argentina.
It would have to find that connection.
I ask: Is there no possibility to get a record of people who migrated, for example Argentina from Dondee, Scotland? in those years
Also thanks for all the information you gave me

Norberto
To be able to unite the Sives family (from Argentina) with the Sives family (from Scotland)