Author Topic: SNELL & MILLER South Australia  (Read 13504 times)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SNELL & MILLER South Australia
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 23 December 17 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Essie. I looked on the OPC site and found the marriage and baptism of the children of Jane Tippett. Did George come out earlier than the family?

I have  not found George Tippett on a passenger list.  Perhaps he paid for his passage and his family qualified for assisted passage?

Essie

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline L44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 23 December 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help. I believe I have the correct Elizabeth.
From this thread ,I believe it said Susan was married twice. Still searching to find some hints that I have the correct MaryAnn and Susan. I found the info on http://www.familyhistorysa.org//colonists.html. The dates seem to match.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 24 December 17 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Place names recorded in various BMD records were Mt Barker Springs and Macclesfield for most of the SNELL family except Susan. However, Susan's first husband had a business and farm at Mt Barker Springs, and she arrived via TAS with her parents in 1845.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/165645421

Mary Ann and Josiah THOMAS married at Macclesfield and lived around that area before going to Moonta.  I did not find a baptism for Mary Ann, nor is she named in this census with this SNELL family.

1841 Census  HO107/152/2
Living at Plasnewyd, Bodmin, Cornwall
SNELL John  50 years  Miner in copper mine  born county
SNELL Ann   45 years  born county
SNELL Elizabeth 14 years  born county
SNELL Susan  10 years  born county
SNELL John  7 years  born county
SNELL Edwin 4 years  born county.

Cheers
Cando

Essie

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 24 December 17 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have finally found an obituary for Mary Ann THOMAS that says she left England in 1842 and went to TAS with her parents and then to SA.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/23968354

Essie