Author Topic: SNELL & MILLER South Australia  (Read 22283 times)

Offline wayne10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Snell & Miller South Australia
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 April 11 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Jeenie,
I am starting to research the Snell family (my wifes ancestors) in Australia. Particularly interested in family of Edwin Saunders Snell. I have a quote from Child of the Outback by Lucy Christina that mentions a William W Snell that described Edwin as his Grandson see the attached link -

http://genetracer.net/getperson.php?personID=I296&tree=tree01&sid=a46d3edcaaba3edb6322b019a9f7cad9

The lineage I am tracing is that of John Snell and Sarah Elizabeth Miller and their many children. There was also a menton on Ancestry of a John Buckingham Snell. The same person? This Snell family is certainly hard to pin down previous to their arrival in South Australia.
Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Regards Wayne.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SNELL & MILLER South Australia
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 April 11 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Wayne

My OH is descended from Samuel Isaac PEARCE but not from his son who married into the SNELL family.  Some of the information detailed on a couple of the responses that appear to be totally irrelevant to livia's request.

The information on the link you have posted does not appear to be accurate.  Edwin Saunders SNELL appears to be the illegitimate son of Jane SNELL.  His baptism record is on IGI [extracted record] and he is on the 1841 census with John SNELL [copper miner]  his wife Ann and children Elizabeth and John.  There is also the marriage record for John SNELL and Ann BUCKINGHAM on 17 Nov 1814 and a baptism record for eldest dau Jane on 17 Dec 1815.  These are extracted parish records.  You may like to search for them.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true
There are also parish records and census records online - have a browse of the Cornwall Board resources.

The SIR CHARLES NAPIER had arrived Tasmania by Nov 1842.  The ship's arrival with passengers may be mentioned in a newspaper...you will need to search further.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cob/

Mention of Immigrants remaining in Quarters in Tasmania as at 14 Dec 1842 - under quarrymen and miners.
SNELL John, wife and 2 children 10 and 6 years.  I wonder if Elizabeth b.1828 was already employed.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0co9/

John and family arriving from Tasmania -
http://www.familyhistorysa.info/shipping/passengerlists.html
SNELL J, wife Ann, 3 children arrived in SA 30 Aug 1845 on TIMBO from Hobart

There is  William SNELL arriving but no son Edwin.
SNELL William, Mary nee LEAN, Wm Joseph, Sarah Ann arrived in SA 3 Apr1845 on ISABELLA WATSON from London 20 Dec 1844 via Plymouth
William and family were assisted immigrants.
Official passenger lists mainly of immigrants arriving in South Australia under UK assisted passage 1845-86, SA Archives, GRG35/48A

Passenger list
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1845IsabellaWatson.htm

You mentined a John Buckingham SNELL - born or baptised 28 Dec 1817 and died 26 Dec 1829.

There is also a mention of a William SNELL and John SNELL at Kanmantoo.  Have a search on http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

I think the information on the link you provided appears to need further research.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 11 April 11 02:07 BST (UK) »
Wayne - 1841 census...I haven't transcribed correctly from my notes....missed Susan....shouldn't do research late at night. ;) 

1841 Census  HO107/152/2
Living at Plasnewyd, Bodmin, Cornwall
SNELL John  50 years  Miner in copper mine  born county
SNELL Ann   45 years  born county
SNELL Elizabeth 14 years  born county
SNELL Susan  10 years  born county
SNELL John  7 years  born county
SNELL Edwin 4 years  born county.

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 April 11 02:30 BST (UK) »
Wayne another questionable part of the information on  the linked website.   It wasn't until 1893/4 that copper, lead and zinc were discovered at Roseberry, Tasmania.  I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions. 

Cheers
Cando

Offline ZorroKat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 January 12 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Elizabeth Miller , daughter of John Miller and Euphemia Mowat. John Miller and Euphemia owat emigrated to Adelaide on the Charlotte Jane in 1852 along with their four daughters Sarah (13), Jane (8), Barbara (5) and Robina Miller (1).  John's Father and Mother, John and Sarah Miller, were also with them. Also John's brother David, his wife Margaret and two children Margaret and George. Also John's brother Robert and his wife Margaret. Also John's brother William and wife Barbara. Only one member of the family remained behind and that was my GGGrandmother Barbara Miller. She was by that time married to William Eunson who did not wish to emigrate.
The parents John Miller Snr was born on the island of Stronsay, Orkney and his wife Sarah Miller (nee Scott) was born on the island of Sanday, Orkney.

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 January 12 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that. I was pleased to find out that so many Millers migrated together. I often think of GGGrandmother Sarah Elizabeth leaving her cold and windy Orkney island and coming to the harsh summers of South Australia and repeatedly bearing children until it eventually killed her. She must have had a hard life (and I wonder how she managed snakes, a particular fear of mine). Having at least some family members around would have made it a bit easier. Poor Barbara Miller whose husband did not want to emigrate - she would have missed her family terribly! What a sad final farewell it would have been.
Livia
Gilbertson (Burnley Lancs)
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)
Clonan (or Cloonan), Bennett (or Bent) (Westmeath Ireland)
all migrated to South Australia between 1836 and 1890s

Offline ZorroKat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 02 January 12 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Do you have any more information on the Australian part of the Miller family or descendants of Sarah Elizabeth that you could share? It is only very recently that I have started to look at this branch and only really know about them leaving Orkney. Sarah Elizabeth's parents John Miller and Euphemia married 19/11/1841. By that time Sarah Elizabeth was 3 years old. In the 1841 census she was living with her grandparents John and Sarah Miller at the Hall of Tankerness, St Andrews, Orkney where her grandfather was the farm overseer. Her mother Euphemia Mowat, a straw plaiter, was living with her parents at Aicres, St Andrews, Orkney and there was no mention of her father John Miller at all. It was quite an unusual situation but I have always thought that her father would have been a seaman and away on a long trip. It was not uncommon to be away for a couple of years or so if you were on a whaling boat. Euphemia Mowats relatives lived at Rumbles, St Andrews, Orkney and this became home to Euphemia and John when they married. That house is now nothing more that a pile of stone but all the other addresses remain and are still inhabited.

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 02 January 12 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I am the GGgrand-daughter of Sarah Elizabeth Miller through her son Henry Albert born 3 Nov 1867 at Mt Barker South Australia. I had very little of the information you just posted about the family in the Orkneys so am very pleased to have it. I may be able to pass on a bit about the family after their arrival in South Australia. Let me know what you have or need and I will let you have anything which might be useful to you. For what it's worth, I have one photo from great-grandfather Albert's generation, it's of his brother Charley. I am going to hunt for it and post it here. It's the only one I have from that generation.
Livia
Gilbertson (Burnley Lancs)
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)
Clonan (or Cloonan), Bennett (or Bent) (Westmeath Ireland)
all migrated to South Australia between 1836 and 1890s

Offline ZorroKat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 02 January 12 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Any information you can give me will be very much appreciated and if you want any more of the relatives in orkney I can supply some.