Author Topic: White family of Whitehall Broughshane  (Read 31031 times)

Offline ElizabethAL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: White family of Whitehall Broughshane
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Thanks for your personal and public message. Good to know about GSWhite's gravestone: however, my grandfather, Charles White, was killed at the Battle of Isandlwana, South Africa, in 1879 and that is where his remains remain!

I'm not sure what I could deduce from other gravestones in the churchyard. What I need to find out is: was Charles (b.1832) a cousin of George Stuart White (b.1835)?

In other words, was George White (Charles' father) a brother to James White (George Stuart White's father) ? I'm relying on  Barbara/Nylon here that James was son of John, father of George Stuart.

Admittedly, if George is buried in the same churchyard as George Stuart that might indicate an attachment to the area and possibly the church. If this is so it might be worth me trying to trace George's birth records starting with where both are buried. 

Thank you for all your good advice and information.

Regards, Elizabeth

Offline apwhite

• this member has chosen not to receive any further messages
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 December 08 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Nylon & Elizabeth,

I'm the grandson of Captain Jack White, who's wife eventually had to sell White hall. From the scraps of a family tree I have and the biography of Sir George White - The life of Field-Marshal Sir George White (http://www.archive.org/details/lifeoffieldmarsh01durauoft) I can only make out 4 children of James White (1746-1804).
They were
JANE (1783-1826), VICTORIA (1784-1837), JOHN (The Ould Captain, 1785-1857), JAMES ROBT (The Counsellor and father of Sir George White, 1787-1872) .

Hope that helps,
Andrew

Offline ElizabethAL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 January 09 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply which is a great help: and good to hear from a bone fide  relation to The Whites of White Hall!

I am steadily coming to the conclusion that our family story of a connection to George Stuart (Stewart) White is a myth! However, should John have had a son named George then there could possibly be one.

If there is not a connection then it will spur me on to work harder finding out the correct family line.

My great-grandfather, Charles White, was killed at the Zulu Battle of Isandlwana in 1879. He volunteered as a member of the Natal Mounted Police so I will probably have to find their records to see if they have any details of his father: alternatively there should be his military records somewhere as he served in India and Aden.

Again, many thanks, Elizabeth

Offline robbieg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 January 09 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, While researching information about the Braid Presbyterian Church I came across the following information.
The first was a biography of Jack White of Whitehall and in it, it says he was descended from Fulk White who came to Broughshane as a Presbyterian minister in 1687. I also found references to 3 books that have references to Fulk White and James White who I suspect was his son. If you do a Google search for Fulk White you should find these 4 references as well as other Fulk Whites in the 1500's.
      cheers Gillie

Gilliland - Braid,Antrim Ayrshire

Offline nlyon

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the information, I had to leave my genealogy for my daughter in law who turned up with cancer this fall..but two nasty operations and she is clear, but whew..getting back to my White's :-) you all had a lot of great info, will get on this  now :-)
    How is it going with the will... Elizabeth??And yes Gillie I did see that about Fulk White.. have some of those articles..
   Thanks again everyone, will be back as soon as I do some work on this!
    Barbara

Offline fohwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 30 January 09 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andrew & Others Interested in the Whites Of Broughshane

On and off for the past decade, I have been researching John White (1839-1912), younger brother of the Field Marshall, as the possible Father of my Grandfather John Joseph White (1863/4-1909).  I have determined the major facts/events in John's life through census materials, correspondence with Balloil College Oxford, Lincoln's Inn Library (law school in London) and a very helpful Local Studies Librarian in Ballymena.  In short, John White was an Oxford scholar, barrister (mainly "not practicing") and pursued a career as a senior civil servant in London working at the national Board of Education.  My research supports a circumstantial case for the connection (matching many elements of our disjointed family legend) but certainly does not prove it.  I believe the case now swings on finding out whether the John White of Broughshane is the John White who was reported as a Father in the Dublin Birth Registry of November 1864.  The Mother, Mary Conner, who signed with "her mark" reported the birth at 25 Marlborough Street (often occupied by legal professionals according to Dublin directories) and stated that the Father, John White, was a Solicitor.  This is precisely the time frame in which John White of Broughshane was in legal training (perhaps interning in the office of an established solictor) before being called to the bar (barrister) in 1866.  I bring all this to your attention in the hope that you may have some idea where I might access family documents/correspondence that could shed light on whether John of Broughshane lived and/or understudied law in Dublin between 1862 and 1866.  Do you know if any 19th century family papers are preserved anywhere by descendants or libraries?  I am aware from reviewing Durand's biography of the Field Marshall that much material was turned over to him for writing the book.  In fact, many letters  between the General and John White are quoted in the book, but none are from the early period I seek nor address my questions.  Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Frank White
Colorado Springs   
White Family Of White Hall, Broughshane, County Antrim, in particular, life of John White, C.B., (1839-1912), scholar, barrister and senior Civil Servant in English Education Ministry.  He was the younger brother of Field Marshall Sir George White, V.C. (1835-1912).

Offline gmhudson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 February 09 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the dates and some basic biographical information about Georgina, youngest daughter of Sir George Stuart White (1835-1912). Does anyone know anything about her?

She would have been born about 1896. She does not seem to be buried in Broughshane.

Ever hopefully

Giles Hudson

Offline fohwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 14 May 11 16:12 BST (UK) »
Andrew,

Would you be so kind as to contact me off line to discuss possible DNA testing.  I am being tested and need to find a confirmed male descendant of the Whites of Whitehall Broughshane for results comparison. 

Frank White
Colorado Springs

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

White Family Of White Hall, Broughshane, County Antrim, in particular, life of John White, C.B., (1839-1912), scholar, barrister and senior Civil Servant in English Education Ministry.  He was the younger brother of Field Marshall Sir George White, V.C. (1835-1912).

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 May 11 12:53 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the dates and some basic biographical information about Georgina, youngest daughter of Sir George Stuart White (1835-1912). Does anyone know anything about her?

Not much, but at least a small mention of Georgina (it would seem she perhaps never married) at:

http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol072sd.html

and even briefer mention at:

http://www.christopherlong.co.uk/pri/boerwar.html

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .