Author Topic: White family of Whitehall Broughshane  (Read 31032 times)

Offline nlyon

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: White family of Whitehall Broughshane
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 May 11 17:29 BST (UK) »
andrew..
  my husband ( a descendant of the White family) has already been tested DNA, would you like the markers? or can one see the other markers of confirmed White descendants? Thanks,
  Barbara R

Offline fohwhite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
Barbara,

I am seeking a confirmed direct male descendant of the White family of Broughshane for marker comparison when my test results are returned.  I had hoped to contact Andrew in this regard, but as you can see from my posting above, I did not realize you cannot include personal email in a post or use the PM system until you have posted three times.  I would be interested in comparing results with those of your husband if he is a direct male descendant.

Frank White
Colorado Springs
White Family Of White Hall, Broughshane, County Antrim, in particular, life of John White, C.B., (1839-1912), scholar, barrister and senior Civil Servant in English Education Ministry.  He was the younger brother of Field Marshall Sir George White, V.C. (1835-1912).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
Now that you've made 3 posts you should be able to get and send PMs -
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nlyon

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 19:46 BST (UK) »
well he is not a direct male descendant.. I guess that is the difference, his great great grandfather was a White born in Boughshane, but he descends through the daughter.. I had thought perhaps the markers might be enough to give a hint :-0
   let me know if you would like to see the markers anyway, they are on family tree.
      Barbara 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:

Offline elbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 February 16 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello all! It seems we have some connections with family in the US. I am Eleanor White, first cousin of Andrew White and great grand daughter of Sir George Stuart White. My grandfather was Jack White, eldest son of Sir George. I met Georgina when I was a child and she was living in Hampton Court. I have information in an audio interview she did when she was 84 that she had a younger brother -she refers to him as "very bright" and remarks that he went to Oxford University. I therefore have no doubt that he is the youngest son of George Stuart White and sister to Georgina Mary.Please get in touch! Eleanor 

Offline fohwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 25 February 16 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eleanor.   Do you have any info about John White, Sir George's younger brother??  John, b. 1839, attended Oxford, studied law but did not practice despite 1866 call to Bar.  He pursued career as senior civil servant in British education establishment, retiring in 1902 as an Asst. Secretary of Education Ministry.  He returned to Broughshane to mange White estate until death in 1912.  Much circumstantial evidence (see my 2009 post in this thread) indicates John may have fathered my Grandfather John J. White out of wedlock in Dublin, Oct 1864.  It seems John lived at 25 Marlborough St then, very near Irish Education Ministry, perhaps starting his education career.  My Grandfather was shipped to Canada as young boy, raised and educated there by unknown, and emigrated to US by himself in 1880 to get BA Degree and pursue career as teacher, eventually in Los Angeles until 1909 death. Hope to contact direct male descendant of Broughshane Whites to explore DNA connection.   
White Family Of White Hall, Broughshane, County Antrim, in particular, life of John White, C.B., (1839-1912), scholar, barrister and senior Civil Servant in English Education Ministry.  He was the younger brother of Field Marshall Sir George White, V.C. (1835-1912).

Offline STEWRT

• RootsChat Extra
  • STEWART (BONKYLL Branch) in SC, HG R1b1a1a2a1a2c1
    • View Profile
Offer of FREE DNA TESTS for White & Stewart families of Broughshane
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 27 February 16 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am interested in this topic because I want to identify the father of my Presbyterian tritavus James STEWART (~1740-1829). He & his wife Rose sailed from Belfast on October 2, 1767 aboard the "Earl of Donegal" according to a list of passengers that was made after they landed in Charleston, South Carolina on December 22, 1767. The Council Journals of SC are the source of the following excerpt (I hope that you will be able to make sense of it despite its format).

Names (pages 313-318)   Birth year | age   Acres received (pages 319-324)   Line
John White    1720 | 47   450   63
Ann White   1727 | 40       64
William White   1753 | 14       65
Margaret White   1756 | 11       66
Helen White   1758 | 9       67
Isabell White   1760 | 7       68
Jannet White   1762 | 5       69
Victoria White   1764 | 3       70
James Stewart (died 10/2/29 "aged 90")   1741 | 26   (150 to John Stewart)   71
Rose Stewart (died 5/31/1832)   1745 | 22       72
        (100 to Elizabeth White)   73
Eleanor White   1717 | 50   100   74

I wonder if Eleanor WHITE was the mother or aunt of my ggggGmother Rose.

That the Stewarts  &  Whites are commingled in the above list may be evidence that what one of my deceased cousins told me is true, that our Stewart ancestors  &  the Whites were friends  &  neighbors before they left Ireland (both families have lived a few miles from each other in Chester county, SC ever since).

A genealogy book published by descendants of the aforesaid White family stated that their White ancestors may have come from Broughshane. I therefore visited the beautiful little old first Presbyterian church in Broughshane about 1968  &  met the friendly pastor, who kindly allowed me to read the records of that church. What I read gave me the impression that the Whites were a very socially prominent family ( & therefore unrelated to me). I was disappointed that I read nothing about my known Stewart ancestors.

I remember that the name of a William Hamilton Stewart who was born about 1739 was inscribed on a large tombstone near the front door of the aforesaid church because a member of my own family who has exactly the same name was born exactly 200 years later.

I searched for many years  & finally found a descendant of one of the authors of the aforesaid genealogy book who was willing to have his DNA tested. His results match those of a few other people with the surname White. For about ten years I have also been trying to find men who:
  • Are willing to allow me to pay FTDNA to test their DNA.
  • Have the surnames WHITE and STEWART.
  • Live in Broughshane.

I am not a patrilineal descendant of King Robert II of Scotland. I thought that I might be because of what I read on a web site that used to be at www.freewebs.com/weirfamilyorigins/ : "Elizabeth White's father was James Robert White, 25/6/1787-9/1/1872. His parents were James White. 1757-1804,  & Jane Stewart, 1761-1804, second cousins, who married 4/1/1782. James White was the son of John White, b. c. 1720, who was the son of James White, b. c. 1690,  &  Frances Stewart, b. c. 1690. James White was the son of Rev. Fulke White, 1662-24/8/1716. . . . That the White family of Whitehall, Broughshane, were of eminent lineage is shown by their close association with the Stewart family, who were of royal descent . . . . Colonel Hon. Robert Stewart was the son of Andrew Stewart , 3rd. Lord Stewart of Ochiltree, c. 1565-1628 . . . "

Three of FTDNA's royal Stewart projects are at:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Stuart/default.aspx
https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Stewart-Bute
https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-S781

By the way, R1b1a2a1a2c1i1a used to be the name of the haplogroup to which I belong. ISOGG renamed that haplogroup R1b1a1a2a1a2c1i1a (also known as  L744/S388, L745/S463, L746/S310).
--

THE BEST  &  CHEAPEST WAY FOR A FAMILY TO ACHIEVE ITS GENEALOGICAL GOALS

Big Y  &  other NGS tests are orders of magnitude more likely to help a family to achieve its genealogical goals ( &  for far less money in the long run) than STR tests. E.g., a year or two ago I discovered via the results of my BIG Y test that I have a mutation (SNP) known as R-S781 ( &  therefore belong to y-haplogroup R1b1a1a2a1a2c1i1a1) that is inherited only by patrilineal descendants of Sir John Stewart of Bonkyll (he died fighting against the Germanic Anglo-Saxons for the independence of Celtic Scotland on 22 July 1298 at the Battle of Falkirk,  &  was the ninth great grandfather of King James I of England). See http://www.yseq.net/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=12172&reviews_id=96

The reason that I have not participated in this forum for many years is that I do not like to waste hours of my time writing anything that censors do not want others to read. I hope that they will XXXXXX out any information that is forbidden,  &  allow members of this forum to read the remainder.

Disclosing personal information, e.g., about my ancestry, DNA test results, email addresses, etc. via the Internet for many decades has never caused me the least problem. I am thankful that I rarely receive unwanted email (my Gmail email account automatically filters out all spam).
MATERNAL: Chastain, Clark, Dickerson, Dickson, Dixon, Dover, Epps, Hambrecht, Hambright, Johnson, Manning, Martin, Moss, Porter, Ramsey, Scovel, Smith, Streaner, Wattford

PATERNAL: Bankhead, Barrett, Collins, Edge, Flannigan, Hatfield, Hughes, Lyles, Noland, Price, Riley, Simpson, Stewart, Traylor, Valentine, Williams, Wix, Woodward

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Offer of FREE DNA TESTS for White & Stewart families of Broughshane
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 28 February 16 11:49 GMT (UK) »

I am not a patrilineal descendant of King Robert II of Scotland. I thought that I might be because of what I read on a web site that used to be at www.freewebs.com/ : "Elizabeth White's father was James Robert White, 25/6/1787-9/1/1872. His parents were James White. 1757-1804,  & Jane Stewart, 1761-1804, second cousins, who married 4/1/1782. James White was the son of John White, b. c. 1720, who was the son of James White, b. c. 1690,  &  Frances Stewart, b. c. 1690. James White was the son of Rev. Fulke White, 1662-24/8/1716. . . . That the White family of Whitehall, Broughshane, were of eminent lineage is shown by their close association with the Stewart family, who were of royal descent . . . . Colonel Hon. Robert Stewart was the son of Andrew Stewart , 3rd. Lord Stewart of Ochiltree, c. 1565-1628 . . . "

Hi  Stewrt,
I have noticed over the years you do tend to quote that person's webpage  a lot - ( I'm  really biting my tongue !! And rather not say too much on a public forum as the person is a relative of mine .
I can't emphasise enough to take that webpage with one massive pinch of salt , - Treat that person's webpage as a nice fairy tale.
If you need more info on why I say this Pm me.

Kind Regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 06 May 16 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi fowhite

you sent a message to the moderators by using the 'report to moderator' button.

Unfortunately elbo does not have a high enough post count to be able to use the personal message system.

It seems she joined Rootschat, posted one message and hasn't been back since. She logged on after your reply #32 but hasn't responded.

There maybe something the site administrators can do but I can't guarantee it will work and she may still not reply.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea