Author Topic: Corlea, Drumlish  (Read 27098 times)

Offline runningmom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corlea, Drumlish
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 August 13 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Mo4536, 

Your grandfather, Jim Sheeran, was my great-uncle.  My grandmother was Kathleen Sheeran Reynolds and was married to Michael Francis Reynolds.  My mother was Brigid ("Bea") Reynolds Carolan.  My family lived in Ireland for a time and spent time in Crieve at Uncle Jim's house with Aunt Elizabeth.  We met cousins when we lived there.  Not sure if it was you or David's kids.  Anyway, would love to connect with you and share info.  All the best, Kathleen Carolan Watanabe

Offline mo4536

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 August 13 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,
Cant believe all this info. My mum was Pat (She died in 1998) my dad was Mike (he died in 2002) I have 2 brothers James and John (John died in 1981) and a younger sister Pauline. We use to come and stay at Crieve usually during the summer school holidays. Had many fun days playing in the giant hay shed, trying to annoy the bull in the fields or going past McGoey's gate without getting chased by him!! Also spent time down the shop getting free ice cream (cant remember the kids names who lived down the road past the water pump. Those were the days. Its nice to remember all the good times we had there.
Hope to hear from you soon.
From
Mary

Offline runningmom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary, Forgive my late reply.  To say I've been busy is an understatement but it is the truth.  I would love to chat with you backchannel.  My e-mail address is (*).  Are you on FB?  There are a bunch of cousins on there that most likely would love to meet you and your brother and sister.  We met Father Sean McGoey several times and his sister Doreen came and stayed with us at one time.  Floods of memories are coming back as I write this.  Anyway, drop me an e-mail and, hopefully, we can connect on Facebook as well where we can share lots more memories and photos.  All the best, Kathleen 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline tmcgoey44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 13 November 14 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,
I'm new to RootsChat.Com. I'm replying to your 16 Aug 2013 post about the McGoey and Sheeran families.

They are my relatives and I'm wondering what you know of them. Hopefully we can exchange information.

Thomas McGoey

Offline runningmom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 November 14 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,  the McGoeys were relatives on my mother's side of the family.  My mother was first cousins with Father "Sandy" McGoey.  He came to the United States and was a priest in Iowa until he passed away around 1972 or 1973.  We went to visit him twice while he was in Iowa and brought his sister, Doreen, to visit him as well.  She flew out from Ireland and we all drove out to Iowa.  My mother and Father Sandy were very close and when he passed away, she was the only relative that went to Iowa to attend his funeral. 

My mother's mother was Kathleen Sheerhan and her uncle was Jim Sheerhan, Kathleen's brother.  My grandmother married Michael Francis Reynolds.  There is another response on this page from Mary Knowles, who is a granddaughter of Jim Sheerhan. 

There was also Father Ted Sheerhan who was a priest in Newtownforbes.  He was a first cousin of my mother's too. 

I guess that is a start.  Several of my aunt's most likely will have more information.  My mother passed away almost 20 years ago but she had many sisters that know of the Reynolds/Sheerhan/McGoey family history.  Even my father knows quite a bit of the history too. 

Hope to hear from you again.  All the best for now.

Kathleen Carolan Watanabe
Santa Clara, California

Offline tmcgoey44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 22 November 14 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,
So good to hear from you. I bought the book Killoe, History of County Longford Parish by Rev. Owen Devaney a few months ago and was happy to see some pictures of my relatives. One was your grandmother's wedding to Michael F. Reynolds in 1922. Patrick McGoey & Bridgit Sheeran were also in the picture. My relatives left Co. Longford in 1867-68. They were Reynolds, Hart, McGoey, Mahon. They ended up in DeWitt Co., IL. Doreen and Rev. David McGoey are my cousin Sean McGoey's aunt and uncle. I'm related too but I haven't quite figured it out yet. Sean has visited Father David in Iowa and Father David went home to Longford several times on vacation throughout the years.
Let's stay in touch.
Thomas P. McGoey
Winneconne, WI

Offline runningmom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 November 14 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thomas,

Wow, well it certainly seems that we are related since my mother, Brigid Reynolds Carolan, was first cousins with Father David "Sandy" McGoey.  We always knew him as Father Sandy.  Actually, we used to call him "Uncle Father Sandy" as he seemed old enough to be our uncle.  We have pictures of him back at my father's house.  Everyone loved him.  I remember him vividly even though I was only 4 or 5 when I first met him and then about 11 the second time.  He did come to visit us a few times when we lived on Long Island, NY.  He would stay over for a day or two on his way to visit Ireland.  He used to say he'd put us in his suitcase and take him back to Ireland with him.  I could tell you fun stories but will hold off. 

I had the Killoe book as well and gave it to a relative but don't know where it is now.  I have read the book cover to cover.  Believe it or not, the author of the book is a priest on my father's side, Owen Devaney.  I've made contact with the Devaney's on FB.  Are you on FB?  It would help in terms of exchanging an e-mail as I don't think you can do it here.  I've tried it before and my e-mail address was deleted. 

If you are on FB, you can find me listed as "Kathleen Carolan Watanabe." 

Sincerely,

Kathy

Offline tmcgoey44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm on FB under Thomas P. McGoey. Having trouble sending you a friend request on FB. Will you send me one? Thanks, Tom

Offline runningmom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 November 14 03:38 GMT (UK) »
My apologies.  I forgot I changed my name to Kathy Carolan Watanabe.  I've sent you a friend request. 

Kathy