Author Topic: MB. 1862 York Factory HBC passengers  (Read 8516 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Re: MB. 1862 York Factory HBC passengers
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 May 08 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hmm - viewing that site came up with:  Alexander Kennedy Isbister

No Laurence Smith and no Capt. Herd?  Not sure why you directed me there, but was an interesting tidbit.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 May 08 00:14 BST (UK) »
Quotation from a quarter way down... ;D I know the EDIT "find on page" feature didn't work for me for some reason, but it is there....I pointed to the url more to say that he was working that job as far back as 1842, and I think I saw some N.Z. trips even earlier...That would have been a tough job, so many months on the water...for so many years...

Log of the Prince Rupert (D. J. Herd, Commander) Lying in Five Fathom Hole near York Factory 1842, September 13.

"The factory yawl came down with 4 Cabin Passengers "Viszt", Mr. Hopkins, Mr. Isbister, Mr. Jacobs and Master McDonald for England."
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 May 08 03:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that - read the total article after posting and saw:  "Log of the Prince Rupert (D. J. Herd, Commander) Lying in Five Fathom Hole near York Factory 1842, September 13." in the article.

Wonder if this is the Herd I saw as captain on some of the NZ shipping lists?  If he was a captain in 1842, he must have been born  before 1820.  Have a DJ Herd b. 1850's, but not prior to 1820 thats obvious off-hand.  How can we find out more about this DJ Herd - must be more info regarding him.  Surely he has an HBC employment record?  One family of my Herd family sailed to NZ on the infamous Ticonderoga.

Lauraine

Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 March 14 15:50 BST (UK) »
Lauraine .....here is something...occupational biographical sheet on HERD, David J.  Herd,
ca1814-1878....began service 1835  http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/biographical/h/herd_david-j.pdf

For those searching Hudson's Bay employees ... Wonderful list of ships/dates for HBC voyages to Canada   http://hallnjean.wordpress.com/ship-lists/
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 23:56 BST (UK) »
Lauraine .....here is something...occupational biographical sheet on HERD, David J.  Herd,
ca1814-1878....began service 1835  http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/biographical/h/herd_david-j.pdf

For those searching Hudson's Bay employees ... Wonderful list of ships/dates for HBC voyages to Canada   http://hallnjean.wordpress.com/ship-lists/

Tried to trace this man & believe he ended up on the shores around the Thames.  He is not related that I could find.  Was interested as my SMITH, Laurence2 shipped to Canada with him as captain.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 June 15 01:36 BST (UK) »
Yes I had shown you that shipping on the previous page of this thread, where you had also stated an interest in Herd as well....I never did transcribe the pages as my eyesight will be saved for my own searches. It was most interesting at the time, though...

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 June 15 02:53 BST (UK) »
Yes I had shown you that shipping on the previous page of this thread, where you had also stated an interest in Herd as well....I never did transcribe the pages as my eyesight will be saved for my own searches. It was most interesting at the time, though...
Had an enquiry today from a Herd so excited about that.