Author Topic: Jane HUGHES  (Read 12102 times)

Offline Aussie Diana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane HUGHES
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian
I ordered a copy of Samuel's death certificate and his mother's name is Maria Ruckman.  From the evidence I've gathered from Australian certificates over the decades (which is very little), I have his birth year anywhere between 1837 and 1843.

Samuel's Naturalization certificate dated 10 January 1883 records his age as 44, that he arrived in Australia in 1866 and had resided in the Colony for 16 years.  That in itself doesn't add up.  If he was 44 at Naturalization, then his birth year is 1839 and arrival is 1867 (maybe he wasn't good at maths - I'm the same).

Samuel's Marriage Certificate from 1888 only has his name and no further details of age, family etc.

Samuel's Death Certificate dated 26 August 1891 definitely states that Maria Ruckman is his mother and that his father was 'Unknown'.

I visited the archives in Stockholm a couple of years ago, there was an entry for, I think, a tax record.  It was in the SSA - Register till mantalsbocker 1800-1875.  It read:
Namn:  Nordstedt, S
Titel: Landtburkselev
Fodd:
Ar: 1854
Ovrigt:
Distrikt:  Staden sodra
Hansvisning: 229

I also found a death record which read:
Begravda i Sverige
Ruckman, Maria
Froken
Begravd 13/3 1896
Stockholms norra begravningsplats, avd. 1,kv.9,n4. 349 (urna, nr 1 i graven)
Graven upplaten i evardlig tid (upplatelse nr 1)
Stockholms kyrkogardsforvaltning (Stockholms stad, Stockholms lan)

I have the names of some Ruckmans in Stockholm in the 1800s, but none of them are C.Gabriel Ruckman.  There is a Maria Ruckman born 22 January 1810, Christened 25 January 1810 in Jakob Och Johannes, Stockholm.  Father's name:  Johan Gustaf Ruckman.  Mother's name:  Maria Christina Frank.  I'm hoping that this is Samuel's mother.

I have Johan Gustaf and Maria Christina marrying on 19 April 1808 in Hovforsamlingen, Stockholm.
I have Johan Gustaf's birth date:  1 December 1783, Christened:  14 December 1783 in Jakob Och Johannes, Stockholm.
Father's name:  Peter Ruckman
Mother's name:  Maria Christina Friberg

I was thinking that C. Gabriel Ruckman might be a relative of Johan's?  I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Kind regards
Diana

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Nordstedt, S on the mantalslängd you found isn't your Samuel unfortunately.

Carl Gabriel Ruckman was born in Habo Parish in Västergötland and I couldn't find any evidence that he was related Johan Gustav Ruckman.

There wasn't much to find for Maria Ruckman unfortunately. I found her original birth record but couldn't go on from there.

I noticed in the Household records from Umeå that he was Carl Gabriel Ruckman's foster son and after digging around I have found Samuel Adolf's birth record. The date coincides with the one in Umeå apart from the fact that it was his baptizing date. Born 23 June 1837 and baptized 28 June 1837. His mother was Maria Henricsman. He was born in Katrina Parish Stockholm.

Here is his birth record and a snippet from Umeå as a seaman:

Offline Aussie Diana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
How do I thank you - I can't believe you found these documents.  Finally having a baptism certificate is a major breakthrough.

Thank you so much.

Diana

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 23:08 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome.

Ian