Author Topic: Translation please!  (Read 4092 times)

Offline patsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Translation please!
« on: Tuesday 18 January 05 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I have a Birth certificate for a Thomas Edwards with the words

"Rhwl fa for Pen y pylle"   Please could sks tell me what they mean or if it is a place name, tell me where it is.

Thank you in advance,

Patsie

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Translation please!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Patsie,

It appears that "Pen y Pylle" is near Holywell (Fflintshire) but there may be another place with the same name. Does this make any sense at all?

CLICK - this is it on Streetmap (you may want to use the zoom in/out buttons to view it best)

The phrase though is not actually proper Welsh - it's best if you scan that part it and attach it to your message so that we can have a look at it. Do you have access to a scanner (or even a fax machine - I have a number you can ring to convert it to an image)?

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Also found this for you:

http://www.tlysau.org.uk/item.php?lang=en&id=11083&t=6 A Watercolour of Pen Y Pylle.

(I phoned up a number for a company in Pen Y Pylle just now to see if I could glean a bit of info - and apparently there are only a handful of houses there - so should be able to find the house he was born in)

Also see: http://www.brynford.com/

I'll wait for the scan of the birth cert. :)
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline patsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear Trystan

Thank you SO much for all your help.  Yes indeed the Pen y pylle is near Holywell, Flintshire.

I have scanned the Birth Certificate but I'm ashamed to say I am now stuck re sending it to you.  My husaband will be in at lunch time and hopefully he will be able to help!!  The  "fa" after the  Rhwl appears to have a horizontal line over it.  I think it is probably Rhwlfa fer Pen y pylle on looking at it again.

Thank you too for the other 2 sites you sent me - very interesting.  I shall study these later today.  I'm longing to get into it all but we had a 40th wedding anniversary on Sunday and I have 60 thank you letters to start writing and then I'm out from 3 pm!!

Very best wishes, Patsie

Offline patsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear Trystan

I have the Birth certificate now.  I will try to attach it but if not can you please send me your email. 

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I've sent you an email with my email address - so I'll attach a copy of that bit when I get it. :) :)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Patsie,

Thanks for your images - I've now attached them to your first message for you. It's clear that the Deputy Interimn has hand-written the certificate (this year), and it's VERY LIKELY that she has made an error, and guessed the letters - that's why it makes no sense in Welsh (apart from the place name). I would send the certificate back and ask for a scan of the original to be made, or atleast for them to re-examine the critical bit. :) :)

Trystan

Offline patsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 January 05 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Trystan

Thank you very much for all your help.  I will write to the Registrar and see what she can find.

Best wishes, Patsie