Author Topic: Dwyer and Shanahan from RC Parish Borrisoleigh  (Read 12082 times)

Offline ONEILL

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my "profile" yet
    • View Profile
Dwyer and Shanahan from RC Parish Borrisoleigh
« on: Tuesday 18 January 05 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Michael Dwyer was from Grange/Curabaha  and Bridget Shanahan was from Grangelough townland. They baptised their children in the RC church of Grange in the Civil Parish of Glenkeen (RC Parish of Borrisoleigh), Tipperary.
The Shanahan's were from Grangelough and to this day there are Shanahans on the property above the Lake.
There daughters Bridget and Catherine Dwyer and son John Dwyer came to Australia in the 1850's 1860's approx.
They lived around Balan in Victoria.
Would love to find any other conections.
I do have baptism sponsors for the children if anyone is interested.
regards ONEILL

Offline JehosaphatDavy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dwyer and Shanahan from RC Parish Borrisoleigh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 May 08 22:43 BST (UK) »
I have a John Shannahan in Geelong who was born near Templemore, Tipperary in 1821. His father was Michael Shanahan. Would like to hear from you.

Offline ONEILL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 May 08 14:07 BST (UK) »
Are you one of the Shanahan's whose family has been extensively researched from the Upperchurch and surrounding areas. Back to Kennedy and Shanahan.
I have a document that was sent to me about the brothers and there involvement in the Eureka Stockade..does any of that sound familiar.
My Bridget Shanahan is the mother of Bridget Dwyer born 1842 in Grange\grangelough area about a 20 minute drive from Nenagh on the Thurles road.
Bridget Dwyer is found around 1860's in Balan, Victoria with her brother John Dwyer. John Dwyer died around 1872 and Bridget - by this time she is married to Patrick William Lyons - comes back to Balan from New Zealand and looks after John Dwyers children.
So I do not know which Shanahan's here in Australia that Bridget is related to.
Warm Regards
Gay O'Neill
Western Australia

Offline JehosaphatDavy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 May 08 15:22 BST (UK) »
My Shannahan's came from Michael Shanahan who at one time had a son John born in Templemore, which is relatively close to borriseleigh. Probably cousins. My John Shanahan, came to Geelong in the early 1840's and helped many other Shanahans Immigrate. Jeff

Offline ONEILL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 May 08 02:27 BST (UK) »
We would have to think that the Shanahan's from the area are related in some way..it is just hard when I am only working on onr name of a female side.
In your research have you come across the story of six brothers Shanahan  - parents James Shanahan and Bridget Kennedy.
These brothers are Timothy born 1804, John , Michael 1813, Thomoas 1815, James 1816 Nancy (a sister) 1818 Patrick 1822. Their home was at Ballynahow.

The children married in Tipperary - Timothy to Bridget Kinnanne. Timmothy was living in Carrigeen and Bridget in Upperchurch.  and so on for all the children of James Shanahan and Bridget Kennedy ended up in Australia. Tim took part in the Eureka stockade
John Shanahan (of Carrigeen)  married Peggy Ryan and they and their children came on the Emma Eugenia 1852 and headed for Ballarat.
If any of this sounds familar I do have a large document of this family - one of the brothers Patrick Shanahan married Sarah Taylor and that family I believe are living at some stage in Balan, Victoria where my Bridget Dwyer daughter of the Shanahans of Grangelough near Borrisoleigh ended up.
Bridget Dwyer married William Patrick Lyons and they lived in Balan for many years and Bridget and her brother john Dwyer are both buried in the old Balan cemetery.
Cheers Gay O'Neill

Offline MickiLee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 January 11 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gay,

Do you know whom Michael Shanahan married.  I have a Michael Shanahan who when he became a US citizen he reported coming from Ireland (Tipperary) and being born in 1810?  He immigarated to Oswego, NY prior to 1847.

Offline ONEILL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 January 11 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
sorry but I do not think that the Shanahan's that I am looking at went to America and if they did I do not know about the American history.
Having said that I do have ancestry.com at the moment and if you would like me to look at the family for you in Amcerica on the census I would be happy to do so.
Wish I could be more helpful, the Irish are very hard to find but sometimes they do leave little clues as to their townlands.
Warm regards Gay in Western Australia

Offline MickiLee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 January 11 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gay,

I find him in America but I'm having trouble tracing him back to his homeland.  He claimed to have been born in 1810 and to have come from Tipperary, but I know that the birth year is often off.  His wife, Margaret's  obit suggests they married in Ireland shortly  before immigrating.  So I'm looking for a Michael Shanahan who married a Margaret in Ireland between 1840-1846.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline ONEILL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 January 11 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
really happy to see what I can find...can you tell me more about him in America so I can look at what you found to see if I can find any hints as to his home town in Tipperary. What town did they go to in America, what census have you found him on. What are the names of his children.
All that is important to trace him in Tipperary as you also follow names such as his eldest child's name if a boy would be for his father..usually that is.
Thanks Gay. If you would prefer to email me then I am (*)     - makes it easier than working on this site.
O'Neills were from Clare - hubby
my family  Shanahan from grangelough in Tipperary

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php