Author Topic: Dwyer and Shanahan from RC Parish Borrisoleigh  (Read 12088 times)

Offline kangajaro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dwyer and Shanahan from RC Parish Borrisoleigh
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have tried contacting you by your email so ignore if a repeat information.

I am related to the Shanahans and Kennedy's you are referring to from Upperchurch and Ballynahow. I would be interested in a copy of the document you have on the family. I am following up on William Shanahan who came to Australia in 1852. He was married to Catherine Kennedy. She lived in the Ballarat- Creswick area., but we believe her husband died after coming to Australia. She then remarried John Fitzpatrick who was also from Borrisoleigh. There are a few Borrisoleigh families which settled at Eganstown area, near Creswick, including John Egan.

Cheers for now
Rosemary Kennedy

Offline gerardf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 November 11 06:27 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from Catherine Kennedy and John Fitzpatrick (2nd husband) who married on 28/2/1859 in Creswisk. I knew Catherine was married previously but not to a Shanahan. Interestingly, her mothers maiden name was Shanahan. Would love to know more details on William Shanahan and Catherine Kennedy if you have it.

GerardFlannigan

Offline jamesfantane

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 23:30 BST (UK) »
hi i am a descendant of shanahan and i still live near grangelough. i also have distant relatives that are dwyer that still live in the area

Offline kangajaro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 01:32 BST (UK) »
RE: Shanahan and Kennedy

It appears that William Shanahan married Catherine Kennedy (mother Catherine Shanahan & Rodger Kennedy) in Coventry England before they came to Australia on the David McIver ship. William was sick when he arrived and possibly died soon after arrival.  William and Catherine are both listed on the shipping records as being from Garrankilka. William's brother John Shanahan was also travelling on the same ship. I have been unable to source Williams death certificate in Australia.

My g.g. father was Timothy Kennedy whose family are from Cronovone/Ballynahow/Castlehill (father Patrick Kennedy). Timothy married Mary Delaney from Fantane in 1857 at Borrisoleigh and came to Australia in 1857. 

Catherine Kennedy then married a second husband John Fitzpatrick. Catherine and John Fitzpatricks daughter Catherine Fitzpatrick married Patrick Kennedy, son of Timothy Kennedy and Mary Delaney.

Timothy's sister Mary Kennedy married Denis Darcy in Borrisoleigh and came to Australia four and half years earlier than Timothy.

They all settled at Kangaroo Hills, a few kilometres from Eganstown, home of John Egan from Borrisoleigh who Eganstown was named after.

Catherine Kennedy, Timothy Kennedy, Mary Kennedy, Denis Darcy and John Fitzpatrick are all buried at Eganstown Roman Catholic Cemetery which was established by John Egan on his land, See photo of Egans memorial from the Eganstown cemetery Borrisoleigh website. Patrick Kelly, another Borrisoleigh person and Mary Kennedy's husband Denis Darcy were involved in fund raising to build this memorial.

Also living in the area were other Borrisoleigh families including: Patrick Darcy, John Darcy, John Kennedy, three other Mary Darcy's, Patrick Kelly and Ellen Darcy, Martin Treacy and Honora Bourke.

Other families from Borrisoleigh were living in small communities such as Bungaree, Bald Hills, Forest Hill, Ballan, Miners Rest, Bullarook (now known as Newyln) and Wattle Flat. All these communities are within 20 minutes drive of each other. Other family names mentioned in public records are: Dwyers, Bourkes, Turners, Handley, Doyle, Corcorans, Cantwells, and Ryans.

Some families stayed in the Eganstown - Creswick - Ballarat area while other families moved further north in Victoria when more land became available for sale in the 1870's. While some people tried their luck at mining, many of the early settlers soon became farmers.

I believe that many of these families mentioned above are interrelated in Ireland over generations, and were living around simiar areas of Borrisoleigh

Cheers

Rosemary Kennedy

Offline Jafhar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 March 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone!
I am a Shanahan descendant too. Michael Shanahan b.1813 and Margaret Hackett are my 4 x gg parents. I believe Michael's first wife, Catherine Maher died on the voyage over.  I would love a copy of your document too Gay, if that is ok. I have been to Greendale Cemetary where there are quite  a few buried. I am in Melbourne but will visit Ireland in May....looking forward to walking where the anscestors came from. Love to hear from other family. Cheers, Faye