Author Topic: Ancient parishesdistricts  (Read 3332 times)

Offline christie

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Ancient parishesdistricts
« on: Tuesday 18 January 05 11:46 GMT (UK) »
My family originated in Newbridge and Southsea, both Denbighshire.  Can anyone help me, I need to know which parishes/ districts these two places would have come under in the 1871 Census

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient parishesdistricts
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christie,

on the Genuki page I found Southsea, properly known as Glan yr Afon:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Southsea/index.html

The Wales gazetteer:
http://www.gazetteer-wales.co.uk/n.htm

has Newbridge as part of Wrexham, with a grid ref: SJ2841 

Now if you go into http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
and enter the Grid Ref, you will see a map with the location of Newbridge.

Hope this helps.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline christie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply, I have been trying to find both places in the 1871 Census on-line with Ancestry.com.  I can't find any mention of either in the census on-line.  I have searched the Brymbo and part of the Broughton census forms.  I can't find Newbridge mentioned at all in the enumerations sheets.  Perhaps they haven't been scanned as yet.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Newbridge which was also known as Cefn Bychan is about 100 yards from where I am now.It did until at least 1891,come under Ruabon for Census purposes.I would also, being an inquisitive sort be interested in which family your ancestors were from Newbridge.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 00:23 GMT (UK) »
My apologies Christy for not reading your message correctly.Although Newbridge did indeed come under Ruabon in both 1881 and 1891,in 1871 it came under Christionnydd and Coed.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline christie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  My family in Newbridge were called Tudor.  The only information I have at the moment is that my grand-father William Pearce married a Mary Tudor (born c1830 in Newbridge) in or around Wrexham c1850.  I have sent off for the marriage certificate, but as yet I haven't received it.  We have been to Newbridge and know that it must have been a very small place in the 1800's.  I have tried looking for the Tudor's without much success.  I know for a fact that my grand-parents were living in Southsea in 1871 because my grand-mother Sarah Pearce and her older brother were both born there.  I have tried browsing the census forms but as we haven't got broadband yet it's painfully slow.

Could you help me yet again?  I have the Genuki pages but it doesn't help me find which enumeration district Southsea was in?

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 12:57 GMT (UK) »
The District for Southsea in 1871 is "Barsham".I have placed it in inverted commas,as it should read Bersham.However the Village of Southsea starsts at;RG10/5655/51/20.Incidentally Newbridge comes under the Rhosymedre Parish for Genuki purposes,and I have the Rhosymedre Parish Marriages,1844-1888.There are several Entries for the Surname Tudor,so you have only to ask should you desire a Look Up.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline christie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Yes please!  The only information I have on the Tudor family is that of Mary, who was born 1830 in Newbridge.  You have probably found yourself that some of the information passed down through a family is not very accurate.  We are told that Mary came from a wealthy family and that when she married William Pearce she was disowned, William was a coalminer, born in Cheshire!  I have got some information from the 1881 Census when they were living in Staffordshire.  To my surprise I found that my grandmother had a brother and sister, the sister was born in Barrow in Furness.

I can't find the Pearce family on any other census at the moment, I know that Sarah was in Bolton, Lancashire by 1892 because that is where she married my grand-father.  Who said people didn't get around much?  I am a Daniels by birth and found that side of the family in Warrington, when I always thought they were Boltonians born and bred!  My father died in 1946 and we lost touch with a lot of his family so it has been interesting finding out about them.  One of his sisters is still living, she must be 98 or so, but she's been unable to tell me much.

Any information you can give me on the Tudor's would be much appreciated.  I have been trying to get over to Wrexham for the past year to look up various pieces of information - but so far I haven't managed it.