Author Topic: Really Stuck.... 6 months now... HOGG/JEFFREY marriage...  (Read 9623 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Really Stuck.... 6 months now... HOGG/JEFFREY marriage...
« on: Friday 09 May 08 14:05 BST (UK) »
On at least two of their children's birth certificates it states that Alexander HOGG b 1860 Roxburghshire and Agnes JEFFREY/JAFFEREY b abt 1871 Coldstream, Berwickshire;  married 28 June 1889 at South Shields, Durham.

I cant find their marriage certificate!! Can anyone help? Agnes was illegitimate so I'm curious to see if her father's name was mentioned. All I have is that her mother's name was Mary JAFFEREY.

A also cant find their daughters birth details' Mary HOGG. She was born in about 1890, 'Durham' is all it states.

Any pointers help/tips are greatly appreciated as this one has been frustrating me for a while!!

Tx

Offline C P Rayson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Really Stuck.... 6 months now... HOGG/JEFFREY marriage...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 May 08 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

This may just be coincidence but on FreeBMD is the following birth

March qtr 1890

Mary Jaffary Hogg S Shields 10a 778

Could this be your missing Mary?

Happy hunting

Chris
Rayson, Anywhere

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 May 08 14:45 BST (UK) »
sparkle - to me there's two options:
1 - The date & place of marriage given was not the truth  :(
2 - Assuming you've looked at the images of the GRO index they are available on FreeBMD) as well as used a search function; that you've considered spelling variations or that Agnes had been married before (in that case the index would have the previous married name) the other possibility is that this is one of those rare omissions from the GRO index. It may be worth contacting the local register office (South Tyneside) & seeing if they will do a search for you. Some won't without a specific location (ie church etc) as they would have to search numerous marriage registers - I checked the local BMD site, but it doesn't have South Shields marriages on yet.
http://www.southtyneside.info/communitysupport/register/

As regards Mary's birth - have you considered that if 1 above applies she may have been registered under Agnes' maiden name?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 May 08 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a marriage on freebmd March qtr 1886 Tynemouth 10b 278 giving Alexander Hogg plus one other male and one other female so quarter not complete.  Agnes could be the missing female.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 May 08 16:28 BST (UK) »
Agnes Hoy Jafferey, illigitimate, was born 17 Nov 1870 in Castle-Law, Parish of Coldstream of Mary Jafferey, farm worker.

Perhaps Hoy is the father's last name?

Janis

Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 May 08 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys.

First, it looks like Mary Jeffery Hogg in South shields could be a good bet... I'd actually just been looking in Durham as thats all that it said.  So I'm going to send off for that one. BTW Mary HOGG was lovely and she lived until she was 98 but she never married :( But it was like having two great Grannies :D

I'd found the Agnes HOY JAFFEREY reference on IGI and on Scotlands people.... and I just wasnt sure about it, but yes HOY could be the father's name, so I'm going to go and investigate that one. Thanks :)

As for the marriage, it had dawned on me that it may have been a fabrication  as there is a son who was born 1888.... who I also cant find birth details for. But yes contacting the register office may be a new avenue I havent followed. I hadnt followed up the 1886 reference but if all else fails I'll send off for that one too just incase.

Thanks guys its all helpful stuff!!

Tx

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 May 08 19:08 BST (UK) »
Durham often means the county rather than the city - it is always a problem so you will almost certainly find that the South Shields entry is the right one as it is in the county of Durham.
People nipped back and forth over the river a lot too so do include Northumberland in your searches.
Andrea

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 May 08 08:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I had been including Durham, Northumberland, Berwickshire and Roxburghshire in my searches; the family moved around quite a bit between 1871 and 1901! All of their children were born in Scotland except Mary. Just a shame HOGG is a popular name around the borders!

I'm going to send off for that certificate and hope its the right one!
Thanks

Tracey

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 May 08 08:08 BST (UK) »
If you write to the local register office they will check it is correct without charge usually - unlike the GRO!
Andrea