Author Topic: Ladyburn Buildings, Greenock  (Read 56309 times)

Offline criben

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ladyburn Buildings, Greenock
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 20 February 14 15:12 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for the street name between Ladyburn Primary and St Mungos` Primary, this was on the west gable of " McClean" building , West of Ladyburn buildings,  there was the small shop and a "Close" I believe the school gate for St Mungos`was in this street .

Offline Janie1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this forum but I have been trying to trace anything to do with Ladyburn Buildings for ages, without any success.  My Dad was born there in 1920 and brought up there, leaving at the age of about 20.  He was one of about 9 siblings (Kath, Sarah, George, Frank are just a few I recall) his name William (Billy) Gemmell, Roman Catholic.  I would welcome any information, photo’s, reminiscences etc.  I did visit his mother during her time in Ladyburn Buildings and remember it was a ‘low-rise’ tenement building (2 stories?) with outside lavatory and communal laundry houses.  Can anyone help fill in some gaps (school he would have attended etc). Grateful for any information.

Online kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janie

There are several Facebook pages for Greenock, a good one is Greenock in old Photos.  There is plenty on the Ladyburn, lots of school photos, chances are someone will know the name Gemmell.

It’s a great site for info
Kathy
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline Janie1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for such a quick and helpful response

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 03 March 18 06:20 GMT (UK) »
I believe I know Ladyburn Buildings.  They were flats for women and are still opposite Tesco's large shopping centre on the main road.  When I was a child, our bus home left from Wallace Square, outside the Martyrs and North Church and we would amuse ourselves by identifying the names relating to various symbols at the top of the downpipes.  For example, FN and an oil-lamp represented Florence Nightingale - The lady with the lamp.  EC and a cross was Edith Cavell the war-time nurse.  I'm sure I have a list of the others. 
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 13 April 24 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine and others

Have you anymore details of the tannery at Ladyburn or on Marshall's land and tenements East Greenock in early to mid 1800's?

I posted a thread yesterday on Hunters of Greenock; and I now have confirmation that Robert Hunter c1785 d.before 1841 was a skinner, tanner, as were a number of his sons.

Then, there is a William Hunter and his family with the same addresses as Hunter's sons - East Hamilton Street, Ladyburn Marshall's Lands, Port Glasgow Road, thus more than likely making this William Hunter and wife Janet, a nephew of the above Robert Hunter (or two sons with the name William).
Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 14 April 24 04:52 BST (UK) »
 Hi there  If you Google  Robt Murray Smith---A historyof greenock and download the book on page 10 ( of 177 pages) there is some interesting stuff about Lady Burn tannery ( Called lady burn tan work ). lots of other interesting information of other industries in the same area around the 1800's.
Regards Orkrad