Author Topic: Porteous - Kirkmichael / Kirkpatrick  (Read 13446 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Porteous - Kirkmichael / Kirkpatrick
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 June 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi all  :)

I've just noticed that Country girl hasn't been online since July last year so she won't have seen any of the last few replies.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 June 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
Does our moderator know if Country Girl is still an active rootschatter - or has a p m been sent?

Ceeoh

Offline County Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 08:30 BST (UK) »
I've just logged back in to RootsChat after nearly a year and read this thread - thanks to you all very much for your messages.  I'm still digging to find why Mary Porteous left Dumfries for Kent as a humble servant in around 1854.  She was at Auchenhay Farm in 1851 and definitely in Kent in 1854.  I thought I had a lead with the surname Glover - the name of the witnesses on her marriage certificate and coincidentally the name of neighbours of the Porteous family in 1841 in Tinwald.  I'm trying to track down the name of the owners of Auchenhay Farm near Corsock in 1851 as maybe that will help ......

County Girl
Chamberlin, Wright, Beckett, Peck, Walker, Hall, Hodson (Norfolk);
Porteous (Dumfries);
Robson (Woolwich);
Feasey, Parkins (Buckinghamshire);
Winstanley (Cumberland)
Lewis (Kent)

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hello County Girl
Does this help - the name Glover rang a bell!!

Richard Porteous born 1808 married Janet Bell (Tinwald - date unknown)
Their issue
David 1832, MARY 1834, Helen (or Ellen) 1837, John 1839, James Smith 1841, Janet 1842, Richard 1844, Ann c1846, William 1848, Marrion c1850, Jane Bowman 1853, Robert 1857.

Richard born 1808 was the son of John Porteous and Mary Winstanley (my g-g-grandparents).

Mary Porteous 1834 was born 6 October, Miekleholm, Kirkmichael Parish, Dfs.
Married William Wickens 12 June 1855 Ulcombe Parish, Kent.
Mary died 16 June 1923, Hollingbourn, Kent.

Mary P and William Wickens had twelve children.

The Glover connection - James P c1829 youngest son of John P and Mary Winstanley (therefore youngest brother of Richard 1808 above and uncle to Mary) married Margaret GLOVER 22 June 1858, Hoddam, Dfs.
Margaret (Glover) Porteous died 31 October 1869 and is buried in Tundergarth Churchyard with her in-laws John and Mary.

Does any of this fit with your data from the census?

Ceeoh

Offline County Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Ceeoh,

This is very exciting, thank you for this!  So the Winstanleys are your g-g-grandparents?  They are my g-g-g-grandparents!  Are you from down the James/Margaret line then?  I am looking into these Glovers and will let you know what I discover!  Thanks again.

County Girl
Porteous (Dumfries);
Robson (Woolwich);
Winstanley (Cumberland)
Lewis (Kent)

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hope I'm not sending this twice - hit the wrong button and lost my reply!

John P who "married" Mary Winstanley (no marriage found), was most probably the son of William P c1741 and his second wife Jane Cummings.  If you have any data showing John c1777 who married Mary W as the son of Thomas P 1738 and Ann Brown, this is incorrect.  I was following that line however it has been proven without doubt that this John was not the son of Thomas and Ann.

William 1741 was the son of Archibald P 1711 and Janet Carruthers.
Archibald  1711 was the son of Thomas P 1667 and Agnes Moffat.
Thomas P 1667 was the son of James "Dunty" P c1649 - not proven.

The Winstanley line.
Mary Winstanley who married John Porteous was the daughter of Richard Winstanley and Mary Bell.
Mary and her brother John were baptised St Mary's Church, Maryport, Cumberland 26 December 1782.

John was born 14 November 1779 but no date of birth for Mary.  End of thumb I would guess 1782 and the parents had the older child John and the baby Mary baptised at the same time.

Mary Winstanley Porteous was my g-g-grandmother.  Richard and Mary (Bell) Winstanley were my g-g-g-grandparents.

Richard Winstanley a sawyer by trade married Mary Bell 12th November 1771, St Peter's Church, Camerton, Cumberland

My line following down from Dunty, Thomas, Archibald and William is:
John P and Mary (Winstanley)
      John P 1815 and Jane Hall
            James P 1845 and Mary Ann Fell
                  Sydney P 1889 and Alice Maud Grout

Sorry I do not have a Glover connection.

John P 1815  my g-grandfather (who was a twin), was an older brother of James who married Margaret Glover.

I have a contact in Maryland USA who is a descendant of Jane Bowman Porteous, sister to your Mary.

Interred in Tundergarth Churchyard are John P and Mary (Winstanley) and their daughter-in law Margaret Glover.  To their left is their daughter Mary P  and her husband John Boyes also some of their children, and to the right their eldest son William P, his wife Agnes Graham, also some of their children.  Three headstones in a row, close together.

If you have any further data on the Winstanley family would you be kind enough to share it with me.

Regards Ceeoh

Offline County Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ceeoh,

Wow, thanks so much for all this.  I am sorting out in my head all these families, very exciting.  I am pleased I have found a relative, albeit many times removed, etc, John and Mary (Winstanley) Porteous being my g-g-g-g-grandparents.  I believe we may have the same US contact, the descendant of my Mary's sister, Jane.  I know we need to search out these Winstanleys, and as you say there is not much information out there.  I live a long way from Cumbria so, even though I would love to visit the local Record Office, there is not much chance of that, for a while anyway.  I am no nearer to discovering why my Mary moved down to Kent, but if I learn anything further about the Winstanleys I will of course let you know.

County Girl
Porteous (Dumfries);
Robson (Woolwich);
Winstanley (Cumberland)
Lewis (Kent)

Offline Tiana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 August 17 02:04 BST (UK) »
Country girl,
I too have not been on here in years. Might be taking a trip next year to Scotland. I was looking for any new info when I came across your post. My ancestors were either owners or farming the Auchenhay farm. In the 1841 census Auchenhay was farmed by George and Robert Campbell. It also states they employed 4 servants and gives the names. These are my people George and Robert. :)
Campbell

Offline dinarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 14 April 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
Is anyone still using this thread?

My husband has a connection with the Porteous family that you have all been discussing and it would be great if we could compare some information. I have only recently got back into doing some research having been away from it for so long.

Would love to hear back from any of you guys.

Diane
Wigtownshire:- MCKIE/RANKIN(E)/MCCRACKEN/AULD/COSH/JACKSON
Dumfriesshire:- GRAHAM/CLOW(E)/SANDERS/THOMLINSON/GLOVER