Author Topic: Quakers BMD records Allendale  (Read 2464 times)

Offline paulb1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quakers BMD records Allendale
« on: Thursday 15 May 08 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone has access to the Quaker records for Northumberland . If so I'm looking for information on Gideon Whitfield in the Allendale region. Gideon was baptized 1711 into the Anglican faith and then re-baptized as an adult 1758 back into the Anglican faith from Quakerism. I gather at some stage Gideon married a Quaker hence his conversion. Who did he marry and did he have children in this marriage ?

If anyone can help that would be appreciated.

Regards,

Paul.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quakers BMD records Allendale
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 May 08 16:29 BST (UK) »
Just to say that once you have been baptised you do not need to be baptised again, as you cannot be un-baptised :)
You can't have a second baptism, unless the Parish Priest was deliberately kept in ignorance of the first one, or the first baptism was not lawful.

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TracyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 May 08 21:07 BST (UK) »
The IGI has Gideon Whitfield marrying Mary Williamson 2nd September 1758 in Allendale.

It has Gideon born 2nd June 1711 to Joseph Whitfield and Jane, and christened age 45 on 12 August 1758.

Children seem to be:
Joseph christened 17 June 1759
Mary chr 8 Feb 1761
Gideon chr 5 Sep 1762
Joseph chr 11 Jun 1764

All in Allendale.

If you go onto the familysearch web site, then to the search and IGI section, have a look at batch P002421 for British Isles, England, Northumberland with the surname of Whitfield, you'll find quite a few in Allendale! It'll keep you busy for a bit working out all the relationships!...

Also have a look at one of my favourite sites: http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Allendale.htm

There's a John Whitfield mentioned on the 1762 Militia List - possibly Gideon's brother?
Researching Muckles from Chatton, Ords from Bamburgh early 1800's, Fyalls originally from St Monans in Scotland, Troughtons - Cumberland to Tynemouth, Rollestones from Leicester & Old, Quarmans from Somerset

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulb1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 May 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi TracyW,

Thanks but all of this is known. The reason I suspect another marriage. Gideon was 47 ish when marrying Mary Williamson. Gideon's father Joseph seemed to be of the Anglican faith. Hence he may have converted due to marriage. The militia list does present a few John Whitfield's. If Gideon came from a Quaker family non of them would be listed on the Militia list - Quakers can not bare arms and refused to be part of the Militia.

Hmmm the plot thickens.

Anyway thanks

Paul.

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 May 08 11:18 BST (UK) »
There is a Quaker birth record for Gideon Whitfield, son of Joseph and Jane, of Holmes, Allendale. He was born in sixth month (June) 1711, but the actual date is unreadable (could be second?). It's mis-transcribed as Gidson Whitfield 1710, but looking at the actual record it's definitely Gideon in 1711.

There seem to be quite a number of Whitfield entries in the Quaker records for Annandale, back to 1661. Rather expensive to browse on www.bmdregisters.co.uk unless you have a subscription, but TNA film ref is RG6/1271, which you may be able to get through and LDS Family History Centre.

Mean_genie

Offline paulb1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 May 08 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Mean_genie,

Thank you so much. You just helped me solve my brick wall of 6 years. I was unaware of the BMDregisters site - all the info I needed was contained here.

Regards,

paul.