Author Topic: Missing Paterson/Look-up or suggestions, please  (Read 4596 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Paterson/Look-up or suggestions, please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 May 08 21:17 BST (UK) »
Pre reformation there was only one Church - the Catholic church.

Post reformation the established church of Scotland was presbyterian ie the congregation had a greater say in the running of the church. Everybody equal sort of approach. The Covenanters belonged to the presbyterian movement as did the established church but they were unhappy at changes being imposed upon the church and the congregations by the crown.

The above is an extreme simplification and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenanter
has much more information upon the movement.

The dissension which began in the 1700's was again over the running of the church and the United Presbyterian was later formed by the merging of many of these dissenting groups . essentially they were presbyterian as was the established church but they took it a bit further

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 May 08 21:22 BST (UK) »
http://website.lineone.net/~davghalgh/churchhistory.html

will give a better idea of the formation and breakup up of the Church of Scotland and the various branches of the dissenting churches.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 May 08 21:31 BST (UK) »
If you have a look at
Hugh Wallis Site -IGI batch numbers
there are some "Free" churches listed and you can search those records.

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 May 08 12:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. Your help is much appreciated, Falkryn.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline thaw100

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 April 16 01:18 BST (UK) »
Gavin Paterson (b. 1769 in Glassford to Gavin Paterson and Janet Rogers), who was a shoemaker by occupation, married Agnes Paterson, presumably a cousin. Yet, I can find no record of their marriage in the OPR index on SP.

Their son, Gavin Paterson (born circa 1811 in Glassford), also a shoemaker, married Annie Muirhead in Glasgow in 1848. I have found this Gavin Paterson in the 1841 census living in Castle Street, Hamilton, with his mother Agnes, aged 64, and his brother Robert, aged 25. ... 

Hi,   

I'm a descendant of Gavin and Agnes Paterson via their daughter Margaret (born 1803) who emigrated to Canada in the 1830's with her husband Alexander McKinlay.   

Unfortunately, I haven't found Gavin and Agnes' marriage certificate but I do have a query about Gavin Paterson's parents.

I recently came across Gavin and Agnes' headstone in Chapelton Cemetery on Find a Grave.  It gives his death date as 1839 age 75.   I also have a printout from a Paterson family bible which gives his birth date as Jan 13th, 1764 which ties in with his death at 75.   None of this seems to fit with the Gaven Paterson who was born in 1769 (and married Janet Rogers?)

As well, in the family bible, his children are listed as: unnamed daughter(1800), Andrew (1801), Margaret (1803), John (1805), Gaven (1806), twins Gaven and Janet (1811), Agnes (1813), Robert (1815).  Using the typical naming conventions, I would expect Gavin's parents to be Andrew and Janet?

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks,
Thaw100

Offline DeeB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 April 22 04:55 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread but was excited to see the information as I am a cousin of Gavin Paterson's 2nd wife, Jane Jeffrey. Thanks Rodeo for your work there that has given me his parents birth year and his 1st wife's name. Excellent!