Author Topic: Further search for Harps  (Read 10919 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Further search for Harps
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 11:28 GMT (UK) »
The one in Uist in 1861 could be a son of the one born in 1783.

Have a look at http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp which lists 14 Harps.

Among these are Alexander, lighthouse keeper, who died in Aberdeen in 1862, and Alexander, assistant lighthouse keeper, who died on 15 December 1874 on the island of Islay. So clearly there were at least two Alexander Harps who were lighthouse keepers. If you get both death certificates from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk they will tell you the names of their parents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the 1841 census at Forteath's Close, Elgin?
William Harp 75 Ag lab Born Scotland not Moray
Jane Harp 55 Born Moray
Alexander Harp 20 Carpenter Born Moray
Could this be Alexander who later married Helen Harp and became a lighthouse keeper in Uist and Islay? Note that Alexander and Helen were married in Elgin in 1843. His death certificate should settle that question.

In 1851 William, aged 85, gardener, born Auldearn, and wife Jane, 64, born Urquhart, are still in Elgin. William probably died before 1854 because Jane Mann or Harp applied to the Elgin Parochial Board for assistance in 1854.

William seems to match the William Harp born in Auldearn and baptised on 26 May 1765, son of John Harp and Elizabeth McIntosh.

Also 1841 at Light House, Peterhead
Alexander Harp 55 Lighthouse keeper Born Scotland not Aberdeenshire
and several children including Helen, aged 20, born Scotland not Aberdeenshire. This matches the daughter of Alexander Harp and Margaret Guthrie, who was born in Arbroath in 1819.
So could this Helen Harp be the wife of the Uist and Islay lighthouse keeper - in other words, No 2 was the son-in-law, not the son, of No 1?

Helen Harp died in Toronto, Ontario, in 1897.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the 1841 census at Forteath's Close, Elgin?
William Harp 75 Ag lab Born Scotland not Moray
Jane Harp 55 Born Moray
Alexander Harp 20 Carpenter Born Moray
Could this be Alexander who later married Helen Harp and became a lighthouse keeper in Uist and Islay? Note that Alexander and Helen were married in Elgin in 1843. His death certificate should settle that question.

In 1851 William, aged 85, gardener, born Auldearn, and wife Jane, 64, born Urquhart, are still in Elgin. William probably died before 1854 because Jane Mann or Harp applied to the Elgin Parochial Board for assistance in 1854.

William seems to match the William Harp born in Auldearn and baptised on 26 May 1765, son of John Harp and Elizabeth McIntosh.

Also 1841 at Light House, Peterhead
Alexander Harp 55 Lighthouse keeper Born Scotland not Aberdeenshire
and several children including Helen, aged 20, born Scotland not Aberdeenshire. This matches the daughter of Alexander Harp and Margaret Guthrie, who was born in Arbroath in 1819.
So could this Helen Harp be the wife of the Uist and Islay lighthouse keeper - in other words, No 2 was the son-in-law, not the son, of No 1?

Helen Harp died in Toronto, Ontario, in 1897.

This last one is definitely my 4x Gt Grandfather & Helen was b.1.Jan 1819(c.13.1.1819) Arbroath.
You may be right in assuming Helen may be the wife of the Uist & Islay lighthouse keeper.I will try to look further into this.
Interesting also to note the death of Helen in Ontario 1897.
Helens sister Ann Amelia(3xGt Grandmother) had a daughter Louise who used to visit Canada quite often with her husband & I often wondered for what purpose.This was probably to visit her Aunt Helen & family.

Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I will try to look further into this.

Your first step is to get those two death certificates from Scotland's People. There is no other way to settle some of the questions above.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 13:09 GMT (UK) »

Hi Betty,

I have absolutely no connection to the "Harp" family but realised while doing a search of my own  family on S/UIst that the name seemed somewhat unusual (NOT an Uist name)!!! ;D

I decided to use the rootschat search facility to search "Harp, Moray" to find out if anyone was researching this family?

I know when I'm researching my own family, I'm reluctant to spend unnecessary creds on SP if I have no clue as to where they could be  ;)

I had the info. here & thought it may be of use to yourself or at least someone at a cost of £0.00?

Regards,

Annie

ADDED.......

This family were only on Uist for 1861 & I believe this Alexander to be the one who died 1862 although I may be wrong?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 15:35 GMT (UK) »

Hi Betty,

I have absolutely no connection to the "Harp" family but realised while doing a search of my own  family on S/UIst that the name seemed somewhat unusual (NOT an Uist name)!!! ;D

I decided to use the rootschat search facility to search "Harp, Moray" to find out if anyone was researching this family?

I know when I'm researching my own family, I'm reluctant to spend unnecessary creds on SP if I have no clue as to where they could be  ;)

I had the info. here & thought it may be of use to yourself or at least someone at a cost of £0.00?

Regards,

Annie

ADDED.......

This family were only on Uist for 1861 & I believe this Alexander to be the one who died 1862 although I may be wrong?
[/quote

Hi Annie,

I do so appreciate you contacting me with this info & you may well be right in what you think about the 1861 entry.My Alexander Harp apparently died in 1862.
Alexander was already in his 69th year  at the 1851c when he lived at 10 Canal St in Aberdeen & I believe that is the same address where he died.I wouldn't have thought that he would still be employed 10 yrs later by the Northern Light Board & why would he put his age down as 41yrs of age.

I have been trying to buy credits on Scotland People but they will not accept my Euro Credit card for payment which I find very odd.Will see if my bank here in Spain if they can sort this out.

Kind regards
Betty
Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Betty,

Looks like you can discount the Alexander who was in Uist from death pre 1871 as he is here:

1871 Noss, Wick Caithness

Name:   Helen Harp
Estimated birth year:   abt 1821
Relationship:   Wife
Spouse's name :   Alexander Harp
Where born:   Arbroath, Forfar
Registration Number:   43/1
Registration district:   Wick Landward
Civil Parish:   Wick
Town:   Hill of Noss
County:   Caithness
Address:   Noss Lighthouse
ED:   1
Household schedule number:   2
LINE:   10
Roll:   CSSCT1871_8

Household Members:   

Name            Age

Alexander Harp 51
Helen Harp 50
Eliza Harp 21
Helen Harp 12

Source Citation
Parish: Wick; ED: 1; Page: 1; Line: 10; Roll: CSSCT1871_8

This was to let you see that wife Helen is still said to be born Arbroath.
Alexander is still said to be born Nockando, Moray

I do think it is too much of a coincidence with similar job/kids names for them not to be related ???

More leaves for the branches hopefully  ;D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Alexander & Helen (maiden name Harp)  :o  :o married 1843

Marriage & births here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eoe/

They may be 1st/2nd cousins  ???

Their death certs. will hopefully reveal a lot  :-\

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Here we have them in Ontario 1891

Name: Alexander Harp
Marital Status: Married
Birth Year: abt 1820
Birthplace: Scotland
Relation to Head-of-house: Head
Religion: Free Church
French Canadian: No
Spouse's Name: Ellen Harp
Father's Birth Place: Scotland
Mother's Birth Place: Scotland
Province: Ontario
District Number:130
District: York East
Subdistrict: St Pauls Ward

Household Members:

Name Age

Alexander Harp 71
Ellen Harp 69
William Harp 30
Eliza Harp 39

Source Citation
Year: 1891; Census Place: St Pauls Ward, York East, Ontario; Roll: T-6379; Family No: 390

Annie