Author Topic: Osborne and Gumble Family  (Read 29109 times)

Offline Showman One

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Osborne and Gumble Family
« on: Friday 16 May 08 00:40 BST (UK) »
I have been asked by my grandfather to help him trace our family tree back as far as we can...
our Surname is Osborne however my grandfathers mother was a gumble... i need to get a lot more information as it is but i was wondering if anyone knows of any information or if they are also looking for the sam,e names?
from what i am told our oral history puts us around Essex and Suffolk as far back at the 1900's

I am just starting out so any help or tips would be great.

Aston Osborne

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Osborne and Gumble Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 May 08 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Aston

Welcome to Rootschat

If you can give any names/dates/places for anybody that is now deceased, perhaps somebody could take a look at some resources for you or give you some advice on where to look.

Casalgudi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Showman One

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 May 08 18:34 BST (UK) »
thanks for the advice... like i said i am just starting out i need to get some background and dates of family members.
ill post what i find out on here.

Offline GriggsGal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 16:27 BST (UK) »
I have been asked by my grandfather to help him trace our family tree back as far as we can...
our Surname is Osborne however my grandfathers mother was a gumble... i need to get a lot more information as it is but i was wondering if anyone knows of any information or if they are also looking for the sam,e names?
from what i am told our oral history puts us around Essex and Suffolk as far back at the 1900's

I am just starting out so any help or tips would be great.
I have Gumble on my tree. I belong to Romany & Traveller family history society and have transcribed some Gumbles if you are interested.

Aston Osborne

Offline GriggsGal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 16:29 BST (UK) »
I belong to the Romany & Traveller Family History Society and have done some Gumble transcribing.  I also have Gumble on my Bibby Tree.
Get back to me if you are still active with your Gumball name.

Offline Sandra S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 July 08 17:10 BST (UK) »

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
  • Email is working again..
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 11:49 BST (UK) »
This may be of help, during the mid 1970's I lived in Roydon Essex and there was a Gumble family living there.
They were definitely a travelling family. During the summer months they would pack up and go apple picking in Kent.
I really can't remember any of the names but I do think one of the children was called Jimmy, he attended Roydon Primary school High Street Essex.
The family may still be in Essex.
When there was a family gypsy death locally , gypsy families from all over the UK would arrived and for 3/4 days they would park (caravans) on Nazeing Common to mourn. I think they were related to the Issac's and Watson and several other local families.
So sorry I can't remember much else but there is a definite Essex connection for you to work on.
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Offline GriggsGal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your information and next time I am at Chelmsford at the Essex Record Office I will look up some Parish Registers.

Thanks once again

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
  • Email is working again..
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 14:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your mail.
This may be where you're experiencing problems.
Roydon is very close to the Hertfordshire boarders so you may find that some records are kept in Herts not Essex.
My son was at school with the Gumble children, I've asked if he can remember anything but at the moment nothing comes to mind.
Next time I visit friends I will ask for you.
Roydon is only about 45 minutes drive from Chelmsford, it boarders Harlow new town, you may find some of the Gumbles listed in Harlow telephone directory, if not try Nazeing, Hoddesdon, Broxborne.
Quite a few gypsy families settled in Roydon, some used to come to school on horses, the horses were taken back by an old boy who had led the children to school.
My sons were taught to ride by one family but sadly I can't remember their names. Every year the families used to go to the Derby to trade, business was done by a spit on the hands and then a shake of the hands.  Regards Jackie (now in Somerset)
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.