Author Topic: Langholm Kirk Session records ~ where are they?  (Read 5192 times)

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Langholm Kirk Session records ~ where are they?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 October 11 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the information, albeit not what I wanted to hear !

I was hoping those records would have information on a couple of illegitimate births in Langholm and name the fathers for me ...

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 October 11 18:20 GMT (UK) »
You're not alone, we have needed them in the past for the very same reason. Where both parents form Langhom? If not you could look in the other parish but other than that it could be very difficult.

Emma

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 March 13 14:33 GMT (UK) »
A bit of an update.
Knowing the Kirk session records are "lost", last week I spent a few days looking at the Langholm Presbytery records on the advice of my course tutor. Although I could not find exactly what I was looking for, I did note that a number of individual cases from the various parishes were raised at meetings, particularly where individuals had failed to attend the summons to the meeting of their local Kirk Sessions. 

There was one particularly "scandalous situation" of a young woman and she had the surname I am seeking, and the note included her father's name and occupation. She had concealed her pregnancy to the moment of her delivery and been delivered of a child in a clandestine manner. The minister was asking the Presbytery for advice on how to proceed "in the case of this atrocious scandall (sic)and found the said scandall (sic) to deserve the severest marks of the Churchs displeasure and advised the session to appoint her to be severely rebuked for the same, And appoint King Williams Act  (cant read the word?) Child Murder to be read at the same time from the said pulpit"

So it might be worth having  look just in case something crops up.

I also looked at Westerkirk records as the brother of my OH g grandfather lived there and I found mention of him in their parish accounts when he paid 2 shillings for his Proclamation.
Donaldson: Langholm
Donaldson: Inverurie
Vann: Ightham Kent
Knibbs: London ( Battersea/ Pimlico)
Longman: Poole
Wakeling:
Vicary