Author Topic: Laing's Hotel, Peterhead  (Read 7207 times)

Offline MaggieD52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Laing's Hotel, Peterhead
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 August 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
Funnily enough some of my ancestors - Fanny Kelman (b 1886) and George Smith Kelman (b 1888) were both registered as being born in the Laings Hotel in Peterhead as per their birth certificates - I have often seen some of my ancestors as being married in a Hotel in Aberdeenshire, but until the Kelman's never saw any that were born in the Hotel.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 00:53 BST (UK) »
My great grandparents, Peter Grant Raitt and Jane Milne, were married on 31st December 1895 at Laing's Hotel, Peterhead.

Although married at the hotel, were there addresses for them outwith the hotel or was the hotel their given residence?

In 1895 (SP, Valuation Rolls), the Proprietor of the Hotel at Prince Street was Mrs Isabella Cruickshank if it helps?
The VRs don't name the Hotel specifically, only the address.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 01:01 BST (UK) »
Ahh. looks as though Mrs Isabella Cruickshanks remarried or a married daughter has taken it over by the 1890s?

Proprietor of the Hotel at Prince Street in 1876/1877 was Mrs Isabella Laing.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Morvenwalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
I don't profess to be an expert but my understanding is that people did not  always marry in church in this part of Scotland. I think the banns were called or posted in whatever parish the couple belonged to  but even though it was a church of Scotland marriage the Minister came to whatever venue the couple had chosen. I have several instances of people being married in quite modest private houses.
That said one set of my grandparents were married at the Manse and when I think back a set of great grandparents were married at a hotel in Aberdeenshire in the 1890's

In  the  late 1950's my brother was christened in my grandparents home.
I am sure someone can give you a bit more detail but I don't think your ancestors situation was unusual.

Offline Morvenwalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 19:23 BST (UK) »

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Until the 20th century it was the exception to get married in a church.

The normal place for a wedding ceremony was in the bride's home. If she had no parents or was marrying a long way from home, the wedding might take place in the manse or in her employer's home.

Towards the end of the 19th century weddings began to be held in places like hotels and restaurants.

There is absolutely nothing unusual or remarkable or significant about the wedding taking place in Laing's Hotel.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 August 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
Until the 20th century it was the exception to get married in a church.

The normal place for a wedding ceremony was in the bride's home. If she had no parents or was marrying a long way from home, the wedding might take place in the manse or in her employer's home.

Towards the end of the 19th century weddings began to be held in places like hotels and restaurants.

There is absolutely nothing unusual or remarkable or significant about the wedding taking place in Laing's Hotel.

Thank you! This was what I wanted to know when I posted my original question! :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 August 18 03:51 BST (UK) »

Thank you! This was what I wanted to know when I posted my original question! :)

It would also have been good if you'd answered my question from Reply #10?

Although married at the hotel, were there addresses for them outwith the hotel or was the hotel their given residence?

Annie

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 August 18 21:00 BST (UK) »

It would also have been good if you'd answered my question from Reply #10?

Annie

I do beg your pardon, I missed that. No, they didn't live in the hotel. Off the top of my head, I can't give you their addresses  - I'd need to dig out my records - but neither was resident in the hotel at the time of marriage.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson