Author Topic: Ballachulish  (Read 60494 times)

Offline hayley c 1985

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballachulish
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 November 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
would you send me your email i dont have accses to ancestrey i cant seem to find your email address do you have any other info on the carmichael family and if you want to know anything else just let me know thanks

Offline hayley c 1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 November 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In this thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,325769.0.html

I ask for some help about some questions I have in relation to my family who were in Ballachulish around the turn of the 18th and 19th Century and would have been linked to the quarries there.

I am trying to find information on a John McDougall and a Rachael McColl who lived in the Appin area in the late 1700s and early 1800s.

The Book “Villages of Northern Argyll by Mary Withall” mentions a family Gravestone in the ground of the Keil Chapel in Duror. The stone is notable because of reference to their 8 deceased children. I am descended from their Daughter Isabella who would have been born around 1812.

Our information suggests that at some point they were based near Ballachulish and that John was a “Quarry Contractor”. I believe that Ballachulish was known for quarrying.

Our information is that Isabella in 1832 married a Master Joiner and Timber Contractor called John Carmichael who was from Lismore and thereabouts. They lived at a farm/mill named in family letters as “Dal ma - trait” but this might also be read as Dalnatrat.

If anyone has information about the McDougall, McColl or even Carmichael families in this area, or ANY information about these areas, including what documentation there may be about quarrying in Ballachulish and the people that worked there I would really appreciate you making contact.

Any help, advice or basic info you can point me to would be gratefully received.
   hi i am from the carmichael family my dad is from ballchulish he is called john carmichael

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
COMPETED Re: Ballachulish
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 February 10 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I am researching the McInnes family living in Ballachulish 1851,1861,1871 (from census) emigrated to Australia. Charles born about 1821, his son Archibald b.1844, slate people at East Laroch in 1851, 1861,1871. Any information about the quarry at East Laroch would be great. Some family born Easdale.
Any informat at all would be wonderful.
Cheers from Australia.
Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.

Offline MairiMac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Ballachulish
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hiya, I was born in Ballachulish in June 1990 although I was abandoned there at St.Johns Episcapol Church. I have no idea who the biological parents are but if anyone knows anything please get back to me.

Offline kiwiscot345

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 22:23 BST (UK) »
Dear Sheden,
Greetings from a warmish autumn day in New Zealand.  I'm not sure if you can help, but I though I should give it a try.

Back in September 1931, my grandfather John McPhee, (of Dunedin, NZ) visited Glencoe.  Here he met a local historian named McDonald, who told him the legend of my 5x g grand father, Sgt. Duncan McPhee of the 78th Fraser Highlanders, who served under General Wolfe at the battle for Quebec in 1759.

I would like to try and find out if there might be any local history/records that might mention this McDonald historian, or my grandfather's visit, or any McPhees in the area around the late 1700s?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 23:49 BST (UK) »
Martin,  although a Ross-shire name, some Mackenzies settled in North Ballachulish from Brahan (Seaforth's Estate in Easter Ross) in the second half of the 16th cent' they were known locally, in Gaelic, as Na Tuathaich, the Northerners. Eight families of Mackenzies were evicted from the north side in 1824 and moved south to Ballachulish. (these included Portair Cam and his brother Duncan) This is from "Bygone Lochaber" by Somerled  Macmillan, privately reprinted in 1971, you should be able to pick up a copy from Google.....Skoosh.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 April 10 07:56 BST (UK) »
Martin, that should read, "the descendants of Portair Cam and his brother Duncan", these guys operated the Ballachulish Ferry in the 18th century, they must have been "weel kent", try Googling "Ballachulish Ferry", the Mackenzies were evicted from their holdings where the Loch Leven Hotel now stands.........Skoosh.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 April 10 08:07 BST (UK) »
Martin, I've just tried Google for the book, apparently the West Highland Museum in Fort William stock it.
Skoosh.

Offline Michelle192

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 30 April 11 04:32 BST (UK) »
sheden,

I'm looking for information on my 2nd great grandmother Isabella Cameron. According to the marriage records she is from Ballachulish. she married Hugh McMillan in 1848.  One the their children was catherine mary mcmillan. That's all the information.

Do you have any information on the cameron family?