Author Topic: Ballachulish  (Read 60079 times)

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballachulish
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 01 May 11 18:36 BST (UK) »
I believe my maternal great grandmother was born in Ballachulish. Her parents, John Clark and Catherine McDonald were listed as living at 47 West Laroch in 1851, Laroch village in 1861, the Cottage in 1871, West Laroch village in 1881 and Ball Rd. in 1891. Do these place still exist? Do you know of a website with pictures of these areas? I live in Canada but would love to have an idea of what Ballachulish looked/looks like. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
N.
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Offline sheden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 02 May 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
I believe my maternal great grandmother was born in Ballachulish. Her parents, John Clark and Catherine McDonald were listed as living at 47 West Laroch in 1851, Laroch village in 1861, the Cottage in 1871, West Laroch village in 1881 and Ball Rd. in 1891. Do these place still exist? Do you know of a website with pictures of these areas? I live in Canada but would love to have an idea of what Ballachulish looked/looks like. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
N.

Hi.
Can you tell me your G Grandmothers name and DOB if you have it and I can look up the old school records and see if she went to school in Ballachulish.

Offline cathymay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 07 May 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheden

How far back do the old school records go? My great Grandfather, Donald Cameron (son of Angus Cameron and Christina McIntyre) was born in Ballachulish 29/5/1822. He also had sisters Clementina, Sarah (ca1826), Margaret (ca1828), Joanna (ca 1829) and Kitty (1831), and perhaps a brother Hugh between Margaret and Joanna. Father Angus was the Ferry Master and Inn Keeper at South Ballachulish Ferry around the time of Donald's birth. Later they were at Salachuil and Inchree, so not sure how often they lived in Ballachulish. Angus Cameron and Christina McIntyre are buried on Eileen Munde.

I visited Ballachulish briefly last October but was disappointed that I couldn't get over to the Island. :( I also tried to find out which part of the Ballachulish Hotel would have been the Inn in 1822, but didn't have any luck. Not sure if you can help with that at all?

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and all the best,
Cathy from Australia

Offline ozymozzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 08 May 11 06:54 BST (UK) »
My wife's ancestor Donald McColl was born on the 26 June 1788 in Ballachulish. We were wondering if it is possible to find if he had any brothers and sisters, and the names of his parents.

Thanks of any bits of information you might be able to find.
Fraser, Hall, Mackay, McColl, Paine, Ronneberg, Thomson, Weir.

Offline angusmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 August 11 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hey, my paternal grandparents lived in Ballachulish and i was wondering if anyone had any information on them. My own father died when i was very young, and my grandfather died before i was born, and my grandmother not long afterwards. Unfortunately my mum didn't keep in touch with my fathers side of the family so i literally have no information on them at all. My grandfather was called Angus Macdonald and my grandmother was called Zena (not sure if this is the correct spelling). I think my grandfather was brought up at Tigh A' Phuirt and lived with my gran in west laroch. i think my gran died around 15 years ago and my own dad died around 23 years ago. Any information would be great.

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 01 October 11 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I've been following the various posts re Ballachulish with interest as my great grandmother was born there. Her parents lived and died there. I was wondering if there is a cemeterey in the Ballachulish area where those who died between 1870 and 1895 in Ballachulish were buried. If one exists, has it been well maintained? Are there gravestones there from the 1870-1895 time period?

Kind regards, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull

Offline nannycas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 30 December 11 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheden,
Please can you let me know the best way to obtain birth information and parents for Donald Cameron, born in Ballaculish in 1806 and Margaret MacDonald, born in Ardchattan in 1811? Their marriage was 24 Oct 1835 in Ardchattan. I got the marriage cert from FamilySearch.org but it only has very limited information. They are my GG Grandparents.
Any information would be great.

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 10 February 12 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone else doing research on family in the 1800's in the Ballachulish area found it virtually impossible to find birth records? Family members are definitely not to be found on SP or the IGI. I find this very frustrating.

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 11 February 12 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone else doing research on family in the 1800's in the Ballachulish area found it virtually impossible to find birth records? Family members are definitely not to be found on SP or the IGI. I find this very frustrating.

I don't know a lot about records for the area but could it be that you are looking under the wrong church.  The churches in Ballachulish are perhaps mid 19th Century or older, there might have been older ones but I don't know details.  The only one I knows was near the old Tom na Creige Moire Burial Ground, North Ballachulish.

I don't remember any very old graves at St John's church Ballachulish.

You could have a look on the Highland HER or Canmore to get a clue about older ones.

Are the records under the main parish, either Appin & Lismore or Duror of Appin?

There is a parish map on the Lochaber And North Argyll Family History Group website

MB
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera