Author Topic: Ballachulish  (Read 60080 times)

Offline blogpiper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballachulish
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 12 June 16 12:57 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows of a John M(a)cKay — shoemaker, later quarrier — who married Catherine (Kate) M(a)cMillan of Kilmallie in 1824. Their home was 42 West Laroch.

He was my g-g-grandfather, and moved to Luing with a married daughter (Jane MacDonald) and two of his adult sons in the 1860s. His death certificate says he lived to the age of 90, but census records from 1841 onward would make him up to 10 years younger: therefore his birth date was probably in the range 1796 to 1806. He seems to have been born in Glasgow and has his father's occupation listed as "army pensioner" on the death certificate (1886). The army pensioner was also named John, and I'm interested to discover, among other things, if he was a Luing native who moved north, or someone with longer connections to Ballachulish.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 13 June 16 12:28 BST (UK) »
A wee treat for you folks, from the "Highland Sessions", Karen Matheson singing Gleann Bhaile Chaoil, (Ballachulish Glen.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chFtbFPwFNw

Skoosh.

Offline scault

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 06 October 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
Sheden Hello,
My family name is Clark
They were all slate quarry worker living in Appin, Ballachulish. My grt grt grandfather James left Ballachulish in the 1850s after the 1851 census. I think some of the clark family left and worked in mines in Kent. it maybe they were McGregors and had to change their names after being outlawed. My james married a surrey lady in lambeth and went from being a railway porter to then a brewers drayman. Is there any documentation in the museum in appin about villagers leaving.

Offline 1bono

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 19 January 17 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

My Macinnes ancestors were slate quarriers in East Laroch. My great grandfather (1848 - 1907) was also the captain of the steamship "Cona" that sailed up and down Loch Leven. The family lived at Quarry Gates. My  great uncle (Sandy) was the local barber in Ballachulish. He died in 1959.
Some names:

Archibald Macinnes=Catherine Macdonald
Peter Macinnes
Alexander
Donald
John
Mary

The family originally came from Appin, I would like to think that this Archibald was related to the Archibald Macinnes who took Red Colin Campbell across Loch Leven to his death at Lettermore (but this is perhaps a bit fanciful...)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 26 June 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy
the present Ballchulish Hotel was built around 1870 and was designed by the well known Inverness architect Alexander Ross. (Ross also designed Alltshellach House on the opposite side of Loch Leven which was the residence of Alexander Chinnery-Haldane, Bishop of Argyll and The Isles.)
Good luck with your Cameron research.
abrach1

Any idea when Alltshellach House was built?  It was Onich Military Hospital in WWII and trying to collect some background on the house.  Earlier reference I can find in newspapers is 1887 when Rev. Alexander Heriot Mackonochie died - the house name always appears as 'Aultshellach' at that time.

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 26 June 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

If you check VRs on SP (scotlandspeople) you will possibly find 'Alltshellach' albeit under different spellings i.e. if you only put shell or hellach & choose County Argyll this may help?

I found some but can't be sure if any are the same place but worth a look.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 26 June 17 13:45 BST (UK) »
Here's one listing it as a Hospital;

BROWN CHARLES
Inhabitant Occupier
MCKELVIE HOSPITAL GLENSHELLACH
KILMORE AND KILBRIDE
VR006500007-

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 26 June 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

If you check VRs on SP (scotlandspeople) you will possibly find 'Alltshellach' albeit under different spellings i.e. if you only put shell or hellach & choose County Argyll this may help?

I found some but can't be sure if any are the same place but worth a look.

Annie

I had quick look on there a few days ago, will have another go.  I found a couple of lists of Ross's work but it was not included though it seems very likely because he did the church and house next door.

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Catsalsus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

I live in Ballachulish and have set up a Facebook page called Glencoe and Ballachulish Genealogy, Ancestry and Family History please feel free to post your enquiry on there.  It is a new page so I'm working on getting more local people to sign up to it so they can answer any questions. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1519450044833703/