Author Topic: Ballachulish  (Read 60078 times)

Offline sheden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballachulish
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 March 09 14:35 GMT (UK) »
looking for info  on McKenzie Family.. father Malcolm. mother Catherine bell..children Archibald,Catherine.Mary and john.  and had grandson Callum 
  1891 census were living at 146 Ballachulish road..
  1901 census they were living at 166 east Laroch Malcolm's father was John McKenzie they all appear to be slater quarrymen. I am not directly related to Malcolm but I am to his wife Catherine thanks Nenny

Hi Nenny
I had a look at the register in the local primary school and Malcolm registered Archi, Cath and  Mary on 12th Feb 1884. They were all registered together so I presume thats when they arrived in the area. It also lists their dates of birth and the dates they left the school.

Offline sheden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 March 09 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Sheden,

I'm not sure how to ask this but I am inquiring about any additional information to what I currently know about my great great grandfather, Duncan MacKenzie who was born December 20, 1821 in Ballachulish Scotland? He left Scotland in 1843 on the Good Ship Perthshire, presumably from Glasgow, for Canada arriving in what was then Wellington Square but is now Burlington. From the information I have, his father, Hugh MacKenzie and his mother, Margaret MacKenzie came with them to Wellington Square where they both died soon after emigrating. Hugh and Margaret were married in Glasgow, Lanark Scotland on November 30, 1810. I don't know if Duncan's parents were from Ballachulish proper.

What I am hoping to find is some kind of physical records or evidence of their presence in Ballachulish, occupational information, other relatives, reasons for their decision to depart for the New World, the Gaelic Bible that Hugh possessed, local parish records, local stories, that sort of thing. My grandfather discovered the information I had when he was alive and made a trip to Scotland and Northern Ireland, where my great great grandmother was from.

I am descended from Hugh (and Margaret) MacKenzie like this:

Hugh MacKenzie - Duncan MacKenzie - Hugh Henry MacKenzie - John Hugh MacKenzie - John Rogers MacKenzie - myself, Martin G. MacKenzie. My family from Duncan after he emigrated from Scotland to my grandfather were Canadian until my grandfather moved to the United States.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Martin MacKenzie

P.S. I'm including an older photograph of Duncan and Isobella MacKenzie in their older years and two of their children.

Hi Martin
Sorry it has taen so long or me to reply. I have had no luck so far finding any records for you but have more time at the momnt and will see if I can dig anything up for you.

Sheena

Offline sheden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 March 09 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In this thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,325769.0.html

I ask for some help about some questions I have in relation to my family who were in Ballachulish around the turn of the 18th and 19th Century and would have been linked to the quarries there.

I am trying to find information on a John McDougall and a Rachael McColl who lived in the Appin area in the late 1700s and early 1800s.

The Book “Villages of Northern Argyll by Mary Withall” mentions a family Gravestone in the ground of the Keil Chapel in Duror. The stone is notable because of reference to their 8 deceased children. I am descended from their Daughter Isabella who would have been born around 1812.

Our information suggests that at some point they were based near Ballachulish and that John was a “Quarry Contractor”. I believe that Ballachulish was known for quarrying.

Our information is that Isabella in 1832 married a Master Joiner and Timber Contractor called John Carmichael who was from Lismore and thereabouts. They lived at a farm/mill named in family letters as “Dal ma - trait” but this might also be read as Dalnatrat.

If anyone has information about the McDougall, McColl or even Carmichael families in this area, or ANY information about these areas, including what documentation there may be about quarrying in Ballachulish and the people that worked there I would really appreciate you making contact.

Any help, advice or basic info you can point me to would be gratefully received.
Hi Andy
Sorry for length of time t has taken for me to reply to you.
I have arranged for one of my friends in Duror to go with me to the graveyard in our easter holidays and I will try and get a photo of the gravestone in question.
Sheena

Offline nenny4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 March 09 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Shedan I know the children were born at Lismore..I think Malcolm came fron there Originally as thats stated on their wedding cert..nenny
Marshall / Thaw / Gowan from Livingston and Kirknewton areas West Lothian  Scotland..... Lough Families Clones Ireland and Glasgow Scotland and U.S.A........ Mckenzie /Glencoe Scotland

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 May 09 23:53 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you could help me solve a mystery in connection with my research into the Scottish contribution to World War 1.

I have found the two Argylls listed below. The records are from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission but I feel that one of the soldier’s first names must be wrong. They would appear to be brothers.

Corporal John Carmichael, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, Age: 25, Date of Death: 13/11/1916, Additional information: Son of Archie and Sarah Carmichael, of Ballachulish, Argyll.

Private John Carmichael, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, Age: 20, Date of Death: 13/11/1916, Additional information: Son of Archie and Sarah Carmichael, of Ballachulish, Argyll.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Alistair McEwen

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 00:37 BST (UK) »
There are two completely different grave reference numbers so not the same person appearing twice

There are also two medal cards, both John Carmichael with same date unit and date of death

Private John Carmichael is 2279
Corporal John Carmichael is 2045  so both agree with the CWGC

2045 is 28 East Laroch, Ballachulish

Can't find Service Record for 2279 but in 2045's there is a note to the Manse in Ballachulish noting the two have the same first name but appear to be brothers.

There is a reply explaining that this is quite common in the area.  One brother would have an English name and the other a Gaelic name.  One man was named after his paternal grandfather and the other after his maternal grandfather.

The father Archie was still alive but the mother was deceased.  They had a brother Donald Age 29, sisters Annie Carmichael Age 30 and Catherine McKenzie Age 32 at 47 East Laroch.

I can send you copies of the letter if you want but I will be away from home for a few days.  Send me a private message if you want a copy.

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline mgraemem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 May 09 02:49 BST (UK) »
Ma'am,

Thank you for your efforts nevertheless. Let me know if you find anything. :-)

Martin G. MacKenzie

Sheden,

I'm not sure how to ask this but I am inquiring about any additional information to what I currently know about my great great grandfather, Duncan MacKenzie who was born December 20, 1821 in Ballachulish Scotland? He left Scotland in 1843 on the Good Ship Perthshire, presumably from Glasgow, for Canada arriving in what was then Wellington Square but is now Burlington. From the information I have, his father, Hugh MacKenzie and his mother, Margaret MacKenzie came with them to Wellington Square where they both died soon after emigrating. Hugh and Margaret were married in Glasgow, Lanark Scotland on November 30, 1810. I don't know if Duncan's parents were from Ballachulish proper.

What I am hoping to find is some kind of physical records or evidence of their presence in Ballachulish, occupational information, other relatives, reasons for their decision to depart for the New World, the Gaelic Bible that Hugh possessed, local parish records, local stories, that sort of thing. My grandfather discovered the information I had when he was alive and made a trip to Scotland and Northern Ireland, where my great great grandmother was from.

I am descended from Hugh (and Margaret) MacKenzie like this:

Hugh MacKenzie - Duncan MacKenzie - Hugh Henry MacKenzie - John Hugh MacKenzie - John Rogers MacKenzie - myself, Martin G. MacKenzie. My family from Duncan after he emigrated from Scotland to my grandfather were Canadian until my grandfather moved to the United States.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Martin MacKenzie

P.S. I'm including an older photograph of Duncan and Isobella MacKenzie in their older years and two of their children.

Hi Martin
Sorry it has taen so long or me to reply. I have had no luck so far finding any records for you but have more time at the momnt and will see if I can dig anything up for you.

Sheena

Offline soffpro

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Ballachulish battle filmed 1969
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheden,

you're a year older than me. i am trying to trace details of a film that was being shot in Ballachulish or actually Glencoe in spring/summer 1969. i am writing an autobiography and recalling a memory of coming across a field full of dummy dead horses, redcoats and scots when we travelled through Glencoe.

do you have any idea or know of anyone who was around there at that time. you would have been 8yo.

from my research i have been in touch with the visitor centre, McCleans Scotland, scotlandthemovie.com, two hotels in ballachulish, the international movie data base, and a few other trails.

the battle scene could have been for televison, corporate video or historical re-enactment.
i know 'Kidnapped' was filmed either 69 or 70 (released 71 starring Micheal Caine) and so was 'Massacre of Glencoe' (released 71 starring James Robertson Justice).

also, monty python's were filming in the area but this scene was definitely redcoats versus highlanders, (maybe the Jacobians, i'm not sure) .

it was most likely late spring - April/May.

if you can help i would really appreciate it - and all the other agencies  have mentioned are now wanting to know for their archives. thanks - Adrian Kenton (author). if you could email me direct it will be easier for me to keep track of - (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline hayley c 1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 November 09 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you could help me solve a mystery in connection with my research into the Scottish contribution to World War 1.

I have found the two Argylls listed below. The records are from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission but I feel that one of the soldier’s first names must be wrong. They would appear to be brothers.

Corporal John Carmichael, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, Age: 25, Date of Death: 13/11/1916, Additional information: Son of Archie and Sarah Carmichael, of Ballachulish, Argyll.

Private John Carmichael, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, Age: 20, Date of Death: 13/11/1916, Additional information: Son of Archie and Sarah Carmichael, of Ballachulish, Argyll.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Alistair McEwen

hi they are brothers they are my dads cousins in gaelic john means iain but one brother got called john the other johnny if you would like to know anything else let me know an all be glad to help.