Author Topic: Fatfield  (Read 47375 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Fatfield
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 May 08 15:48 BST (UK) »
Right Stan, I see there's also Newtown Unthank, but did you find Edward there in any census?
 ???
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline john51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 May 08 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all, Unfortunately on Edwards marriage certificate the occupation for both himself and his dad is simply labourer. Edwards residence at the time (14 Sep 1885) is simply stated as "Chester le Street so thats not a great help.
There is in fact a place called Newtown Linford in Leicestershire  and I do know that there was a Wells family there sometime. I am trying to follow that up .
Roll on the 1911 census when hopefully Edwards place of birth wll be confirmed one way or another !
Thanks to you all for helping.
I am on hols for 2 weeks now so won't be able to reply to anything else for a while.
Please feel free to write to me direct to john AT moorej.freeserve.co.uk if there is anything else.
John
Moderator comment.  Email amended, in accordance with rootschat policy, in order to avoid spam.  Please use the pm system
Moore - Sheffield and Lincs
Morris - Bingham, Notts & Sheffield
Bellamy - Sheffield
Evans - Wednesbury
Warren - Co Durham
Wells - Co Durham/Leicestershire

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 May 08 22:14 BST (UK) »
Before you go John, what was Edward's father's name?

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline john51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 May 08 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ecnaps, Edwards father was George Wells.  Also the marriage cert says Edward was a bachelor.
I cannot find any reference to a family with George Wells as the head and a son Edward in 1861, 1871 or 1881 in Durham. Or even an entry for Edward Wells roughly of the correct age in Durham in the same census returns.
This may suggest  Edward was actually from Leicestershire BUT neither is there any such entry for an Edward in Leicestershire!!
He seems really elusive .
By the way, the Matthew Wells is in fact Matthew Goundry and was born out of wedlock in 1876 at Waldridge to Alice - he was registered as Goundry.
Regards, John
Bellamy - Sheffield
Evans - Wednesbury
Warren - Co Durham

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 May 08 22:47 BST (UK) »
Will have a look, enjoy your holiday  :)

Barbara

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 14:48 BST (UK) »
My husband myself and 4 sons lived in Fatfield for 7 years from 1970 to 1977 then we moved to Tiverton in Devon.  We lived in the house next to the Church.  We came from York to live there. 

I am looking for the book which was written about Fatfield during that time.  I wondered if anybody had a copy and would kindly photocopy theirs for me?  My mother was Nora GRAYDON and my family of GRAYDON are from Chester Le Street and there is mention of Anthony GRAYDON and Nicholas who are on my Family Tree in the book.

I loved living in the area, and didn't want go to Devon,  it was home to me - I was also a Receptionist at Bridge End Surgery in Ch Le Street.

We are Garry and Noreen ROSE, with children Chris, Wayne, Sewart and Sean.  Chris went to school at Great Ayton but the others were at Washington Comprehensive.  There were a couple of my mother's relatives buried in the grave yard at the Church.

Noreen Rose
York
Noreen
York uk

Offline john51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 June 08 09:34 BST (UK) »
My husband myself and 4 sons lived in Fatfield for 7 years from 1970 to 1977 then we moved to Tiverton in Devon.  We lived in the house next to the Church.  We came from York to live there. 

I am looking for the book which was written about Fatfield during that time.  I wondered if anybody had a copy and would kindly photocopy theirs for me?  My mother was Nora GRAYDON and my family of GRAYDON are from Chester Le Street and there is mention of Anthony GRAYDON and Nicholas who are on my Family Tree in the book.

I loved living in the area, and didn't want go to Devon,  it was home to me - I was also a Receptionist at Bridge End Surgery in Ch Le Street.

We are Garry and Noreen ROSE, with children Chris, Wayne, Sewart and Sean.  Chris went to school at Great Ayton but the others were at Washington Comprehensive.  There were a couple of my mother's relatives buried in the grave yard at the Church.

Noreen Rose
York

Anyone know if there is any mention of the Wells family in the book?
John
Bellamy - Sheffield
Evans - Wednesbury
Warren - Co Durham

Offline sam-ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Noreen,
Well what a small world, i can remember your family living at Fatfield, infact i went to school with one of your son's ...Wayne i think. I used to have the book your talking about but sadly i loaned it to a friend who moved away and took it with her! If i am able to contact her about my book and get hold of it i will let you know and send you the info you require.
Fatfiled is where i was born and my family before me howver i also have ancestors on both sides of my family who all came from Devon.

Regards
Sam-Ann

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 June 08 11:06 BST (UK) »
That is wonderful. I loved living there, and we came when Penshaw Pit was still working and the others in the Fatfield area had been demolished but had not been built on.  General's Wood had a some houses built there, when we left.  I would love a copy of the Book, I asked someone from Chester Le Street a short time ago with no luck!

Here is my email address   Noreenrose At talktalk.net     Moderator comment.  Email altered in accordance with rootschat policy.  Please use AT to avoid spammers.

I will tell you about Wayne.

Noreen

Noreen
York uk