Author Topic: Fatfield  (Read 47489 times)

Offline Swampduck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fatfield
« Reply #27 on: Friday 05 September 08 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

My mother-in-law was born in Fatfield in 1914.  Her birth certificate gives place of birth as:  The Dun Cow Inn, Fatfield, Harraton, Chester le Street, Co. Durham.   Maybe it became Washington later?

I don't think the pub is still there, but it was connected to her family going back at least 30 years (definitely in the 1880's).  Most of her ancestors were either Inn Keepers or Miners.

Swampduck

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 September 08 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't think the pub is still there, but it was connected to her family going back at least 30 years (definitely in the 1880's).  Most of her ancestors were either Inn Keepers or Miners.
Swampduck

Hi Swampduck
If you go to http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm and enter the coordinates 430856, 553703 (from the SEARCH box) it will centre the map on the location of the Dun Cow which you can see on the 1938-1950 map.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Swampduck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 08 September 08 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan,

Thank you for the information - do you know of any site where I might find a photo of the Dun Cow Inn.

Incidentally, a few years ago, before I knew which village my mother-in-law was from, I bought a picture, in a delapidated frame, from a car boot sale for £2.50.  It was of some old cottages, probably ready for demolition, one cottage already in total ruin. Doesn't sound very good, but I loved the picture.  When I took it to be re-framed I found it was an oil-painting, the notes on the back of which said that it was done in Fatfield, Co. Durham in 1959 by a D. Green (think that's the name). I was also told that it was certainly worth much more than I paid for it!!  Once re-framed the painting looked beautiful.  Has anyone heard of a local artist by that name - I've not been able to find anything about him (or her).

cheers
Swampduck

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 08 September 08 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Swampduck

You haven't told us, the name of your Mother in Law yet.

Noreen

York

Noreen
York uk

Offline Swampduck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 08 September 08 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Noreen

My mother-in-law's name was Ann (Nancy) Dobson - her mother's maiden name was Archer.

I seem to have most of Ann's details, going back a few generations, however, if anyone has any bits of information regarding her, it woud be most welcome.

I was really asking if I could find a photograph of the pub where she was born, The Dun Cow Inn at Fatfield.   Also wondered if anyone knew of an artist from that area in the 1950's by the name of D. Green.

cheers
Swampduck

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Swampduck

I have the microfiche of BMD's for Fatfield I will have to look for them on it.

I have found the marriage of Robert ARMSTRONG my Gt Uncle on it and his grave was in the grave yeard when we lived there.

Noreen
York

Noreen
York uk

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 19 September 08 10:18 BST (UK) »
hi Noreen
I have just seen your last post that you have the BMD microfiche for Fatfield.If you have the relevant years could i ask you a favour please to see if you can find a John Brown baptism about 1800 to 1805.
thanks
Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Noreen Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 19 September 08 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

I believe the Church was built about 1875 so the reccords only start from there!

John BROWN was Christened on 9 April 1882, parents John BROWN and Elizabeth.

Noreen
York

Noreen
York uk

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 19 September 08 11:33 BST (UK) »
hi Noreen
thanks for that,John is a hard man to track down,probably at Washington or Birtley.
Thanks
Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk