Author Topic: Fatfield  (Read 47376 times)

Offline sam-ann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fatfield
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
Small world, i was born and brought up in the village of Fatfield, which used to be in the County of Durham. Such a beautiful little village at one time before farm land became dual carriageways etc...Fatfield is the village in the town of Washington and the county of Tyne & Wear as it is today. Before Fatfield had its own church, St Georges, bap, burials & marriages were held at St Marys Chester-le-Street also at St Johns Birtley. St George's was built towards the late 1800s, i do have the exact date but not handy at the minute..My family go back to the early 1700s in Fatfield, pitmen, farmers, and shop owners and my grandfather made the bricks that built St Georges church, a long time ago!

Regards
Sam-
ann

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 21:55 BST (UK) »
Fatfield is still in the ancient County of Durham  :)
The Tyne and Wear Metropolitan County Council was abolished in 1986 but the county area is still recognised, especially for statistical purposes.
People engaged in genealogy, family history, and local history tend to
follow the names used at the time being researched. It is worth noting that on 1st April 1974, a DoE spokesman said: "The new county boundaries are solely for the purpose of defining areas of ... local government. They are administrative areas, and will not alter the traditional boundaries of Counties"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 22:00 BST (UK) »
hi Sam-ann
A lot of my ancestors were pitmen born and bred in Northumberland but John Brown was born in Durham.In the 41 census he was living at Wallsend but not born in the county.In the 51 he has Wallsend as his birthplace,in the 61 Fatfield.He had died by the 71 so i only have those three census to go on.As you say he was probably baptised at St Mary or St John.Thanks for that.

Steve

p.s cheers Stan
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline john51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 May 08 08:23 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Wells family from Fatfield. Anyone else researching this family please get in touch, Thanks, John
Descendants of Edward Wells

1     Edward Wells   b: Abt. 1853 in Lanchester, Co Durham      
.      +Alice Goundry   b: 1855 in Waldridge, Co Durham   m: 14 Sep 1885 in Chester-le-Street   
....   2     William James Wells   b: 1886 in Chester-le-Street      
....   2     Henry Wells   b: 01 Mar 1888 in Chester-le-Street      d: 01 Jul 1916 in Somme, France
........      +Isabella Brown   b: 1891 in Durham   m: 18 May 1912 in Chester-le-Street   
...........   3     William Wells   b: 16 Jun 1914 in 42 Castle St., Fatfield, Co Durham      d: 1955
...............      +Ruth Webb   b: 23 Oct 1917 in 9 Biddick Inn Terrace, Fatfield, Co Durham      
....   2     Sarah Jane Wells   b: 1890 in Chester-le-Street      
....   2     Letitia Wells   b: 1893 in Chester-le-Street      
Moore - Sheffield and Lincs
Morris - Bingham, Notts & Sheffield
Bellamy - Sheffield
Evans - Wednesbury
Warren - Co Durham
Wells - Co Durham/Leicestershire

Offline sam-ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 May 08 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi John51,
Looking at your interest in the Wells family from Fatfield rings a bell with me. The William Wells who married Ruth Webb were neighbours from the street direct to us. I know ruth as Ruthie as she was called, they had a son William (Billy) and a daughter Janet that i can remember.Ruthie would take some time to have a conversation at our gate as she passed to go to the shop, yes i can remember them well. Castle Street, were William senior was born has long since been pulled down to make way for the Chatershaugh bridge and highway, two long streets of pit houses.
Like you John, i also have ancestors in the Northumberland area Campbell from Bywell, Bewick from Cherryburn, Robinson from Bywell and Blagburn from Alnwick.

It is indeed a small world when it comes family history!

Regards
Sam-Ann

Offline john51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 May 08 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam-Ann, Thanks for your reply.  Its good to hear from you.
My daughter is shortly to marry William and Ruth's grandson, Gavin and I have been doing both his paternal and maternal trees and find they are both quite difficult to trace back beyond about 1850. In the Wells case I am not sure whether Edward born abt 1853 was born in Lanchester or Leicestershire - both are shown on different census returns !
Best wishes, John
Moore - Sheffield and Lincs
Morris - Bingham, Notts & Sheffield
Bellamy - Sheffield
Evans - Wednesbury
Warren - Co Durham
Wells - Co Durham/Leicestershire

Offline sam-ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 May 08 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
congratulations to your daughter,if im right , Gavin must be the son of Billy. What a lovely man Billy Wells is, often took my late mother to hospital as he was an ambulance driver.
Have checked Freebmd nothing of an Edward Wells b. abt 1853 at Lancaster but there was an entry for Leicestershire for Edward Wells b 1851 Sept 1/4 Lutterworth Leicestershire and then checked IGI again got nothing for Lancaster but did get an entry for 15 Aug 1858 Edward Wells  b Melton Mowbray Leicestershire. sorry cant be of more help to you.
Regards
Sam-Ann

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 May 08 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

In the Wells case I am not sure whether Edward born abt 1853 was born in Lanchester or Leicestershire - both are shown on different census returns !

Have you got Edward Wells & Alice Goundry's marriage certificate showing his father's name and occupation, which would help place him in earlier census?

The 1891 gives place of birth as Durham Lanchester as you say, but 1901 census entry (see below) does show his place of birth as New Town, Lester or it could be short for Lanchester, and I can't see a place called New Town in Leicestershire, nor can I find him in an earlier census

He's also aged 52 on this census giving a date of birth of 1849, aged 36 on the 1891 so d.o.b. 1855, quite a difference.  Did you notice son Matthew is older than the marriage, Alice & Matthew are with her Goundy parents in Waldridge in 1881?

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 May 08 15:38 BST (UK) »
The village of Newtown Linford is in Leicestershire  :)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk