Author Topic: Leicestershire Regiment WW1  (Read 13610 times)

Offline amandab

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leicestershire Regiment WW1
« on: Tuesday 27 May 08 18:24 BST (UK) »
I hope there are some military experts out there who can help with my query about the Leics Regiment.
We've recently been given my great, grandfather's WW1 medals but until we saw them we weren't aware he'd been in the war.
He was born in Berkshire in 1878 and was living in Swindon at the time of the War.  So why would a 36 year old married man with four small children from Swindon join the Leics Regt.
Unfortunately, I can't find his military records on Ancestry just his medal card from the National Archive.   
Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Amanda

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leicestershire Regiment WW1
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 13:19 BST (UK) »
you don't give his name. Google Leics regiment and go on the Leicestershire regiment 1914-1918 site. there is a lot of info about how they moved around the Uk and you can search as well.

I might be able to help if i can because i live in leics and have access to a local regimental museum.
Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline amandab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that - I hadn't realised there was a regimental musuem and only live in Northants so will try and get there this week, if I can.

My great, grandfather's name was Albert Ernest Roberts and his regt number was 46674.

Thanks again.
Amanda 

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 20:59 BST (UK) »
the museum I meant is in loughborough but it is apparently the Leics Yeomanry regiment. might not be the right one.  sorry for confusion.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 21:27 BST (UK) »
redeeming myself!!
The leicestershire regimental museum is now open in the Newarke Houses museum near the city centre. there is a list of what it contains on the Army museums ogilby trust site;

www.armymuseums.co.uk    ;D

Diddy

Offline amandab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 May 08 19:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Diddy - the Newarke Houses one was the one I found when I googled.

I now don't think I will make it tomorrow - but I'll keep you posted.

Amanda

Offline RobLangham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 June 08 18:10 BST (UK) »
The Leicestershire Regiment Museum at Newarke Houses is excellent - I should know, i'm starting there as a Regimental Museum Guide in the next week or so! As for why someone from Swindon would have joined the Leicesters depends really - could have been a simple case of when he joined up/was conscripted, he was sent where needed. Do you know which Battalion he was in?

There's also a chance he could have joined the Leicestershire Regiment because he chose to - there's plenty of stories in WW1 of men joining certain Regiments for different reasons, ie one chap who joined a Scottish Regiment because his mum said he'd look good in a kilt, one chap who travelled far to the recruiting office for one Regiment because he wanted a long train ride, all sorts of reasons

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 June 08 18:15 BST (UK) »
I found the Newarke Houses Museum was worth a visit, in itself  - the kids enjoyed it, too.
Paulene :)

Offline amandab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 June 08 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for both your replies - I really must go to the museum and I will certainly take our medals too. 

Unfortunately, I don't know any more about his service than the information on his medals - his grandson, my dad, didn't even know his grandfather had served in WW1 until we were given the medals in December - Albert never spoke about it and the ribbon is like new so probably never wore his medals either.

Amanda